Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

i can see other computers but can't connect

microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-24-2008
dougp
 

Posts: n/a
i can see other computers but can't connect
my vista laptop can see my two xp home desktops and can connect to one, but
not to the other. when i clicked the diagnose button i am told that the ping
is not responded to and to report this to my network administrator (lol - i
think that's me). any ideas what to do to correct this?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-24-2008
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)
 

Posts: n/a
Re: i can see other computers but can't connect
If you can see it but not access, it could be the permission issue. Make
sure you have assigned permission in the Security tab. Or this search
results may help.

Vista Permission IssuesPost Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:14 am Post subject:
How to: check permissions using Vista icacls command, Reply with quote . ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistapermission.htm


--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
http://www.HowToNetworking.com


"dougp" <dougp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:9715D65F-7F35-457C-977B-41832E8A7EAA@microsoft.com...
> my vista laptop can see my two xp home desktops and can connect to one,
> but
> not to the other. when i clicked the diagnose button i am told that the
> ping
> is not responded to and to report this to my network administrator (lol -
> i
> think that's me). any ideas what to do to correct this?


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-24-2008
dougp
 

Posts: n/a
Re: i can see other computers but can't connect
i may be misunderstanding your response, but are you saying i should change
permissions on the vista machine in order to connect to the xp machine? the
xp machine is running xp home, so it is my understanding from reading this
forum and the link you provided that there is no security tab there.

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> If you can see it but not access, it could be the permission issue. Make
> sure you have assigned permission in the Security tab. Or this search
> results may help.
>
> Vista Permission IssuesPost Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:14 am Post subject:
> How to: check permissions using Vista icacls command, Reply with quote . ...
> www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistapermission.htm
>
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>
>
> "dougp" <dougp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:9715D65F-7F35-457C-977B-41832E8A7EAA@microsoft.com...
> > my vista laptop can see my two xp home desktops and can connect to one,
> > but
> > not to the other. when i clicked the diagnose button i am told that the
> > ping
> > is not responded to and to report this to my network administrator (lol -
> > i
> > think that's me). any ideas what to do to correct this?

>
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-25-2008
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)
 

Posts: n/a
Re: i can see other computers but can't connect
For Windows XP Home Edition, you must start in Safe mode and log on as
Administrator or as an Administrative Users. This link may help too.

xp homeWindows XP Home Edition: Boot into safe mode, and then log in as
Administrator or an Administrative User. The Security tab is available for
files or folders ...
www.chicagotech.net/winxphome.htm


--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
http://www.HowToNetworking.com


"dougp" <dougp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:CD42FB6A-1EFA-458E-9D75-96B1AFBCF9A3@microsoft.com...
>i may be misunderstanding your response, but are you saying i should change
> permissions on the vista machine in order to connect to the xp machine?
> the
> xp machine is running xp home, so it is my understanding from reading this
> forum and the link you provided that there is no security tab there.
>
> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> If you can see it but not access, it could be the permission issue. Make
>> sure you have assigned permission in the Security tab. Or this search
>> results may help.
>>
>> Vista Permission IssuesPost Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:14 am Post
>> subject:
>> How to: check permissions using Vista icacls command, Reply with quote .
>> ...
>> www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistapermission.htm
>>
>>
>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>>
>>
>> "dougp" <dougp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:9715D65F-7F35-457C-977B-41832E8A7EAA@microsoft.com...
>> > my vista laptop can see my two xp home desktops and can connect to one,
>> > but
>> > not to the other. when i clicked the diagnose button i am told that
>> > the
>> > ping
>> > is not responded to and to report this to my network administrator
>> > (lol -
>> > i
>> > think that's me). any ideas what to do to correct this?

>>
>>


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Connect Two Windows Vista Computers Gopher Face microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 4 11-11-2007 09:56
RE: Cannot get all network computers to connect. Mick Murphy microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 0 09-29-2007 21:15
How to connect the Vista and XP computers François microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 0 09-22-2007 11:44
Network computers not able to connect to internet DrBass microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 0 08-17-2007 14:56
Trying to connect two computers to the internet at the same time ( =?Utf-8?B?TGVhaFVL?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 2 02-07-2007 15:07




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:50.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120