Limited or no connectivity when connecting to a wireless router

The Unfortunate Soul

Limited or no connectivity when connecting to a wireless router
I have an intermittent problem that is driving me nuts! I am using Vista
Home Premium on a Dell 1501 with an internal wireless card. My router is on
a pc running XP. The router is a linksys WRT55AG running 802.11g. All of my
other computers have no problem connecting to the router through wireless.
The vista machine goes into this fit 80% of the time where I get the infamous
yellow triangle telling me I have limited or no connectivity and I can not
access internet (Local only - whatever that means). I went to Microsoft help
page and found out that the power saving feature messes things up and since
then I am running at high power so that's not the issue. It does not matter
where the computer is. Even if I am sitting right next to the router, it
still does not connect to internet. 20% of the time it starts right up (like
right now) and I get the little earth thing on the taskbar and I can get to
the internet. Dell of couse said it is a Vista issue and I am sure Microsoft
will tell me it is a Dell issue. There is nothing wrong with the wireless
card and I have run all kinds of diagnostics on it and it has the latest
driver. Any help or insight will be appreciated.

Re: Limited or no connectivity when connecting to a wireless router
I have a feeling it may be some setting that is stored in memory somewhere
when you move outside your personal network environment. The exact same
thing happens to me 100% of the time when I move between airports, home and
the office. With the airports and home the wireless adapter picks up the
internet immediately. At the office, 100% of the time it gives me limited or
no connectivity. But hold on ... here's what I've found. Just leave it alone
for about 5 to 10 minutes and don't worry about it. It appears to flush its
cache or whatever out itself and (possibly some cycle) connects thereafter.
Every so often it will drop its connection but picks it up again after a
bit.

Right now, curiously enough, as I type this the connection is 'lost'. But I
don't worry, it will come back itself :-)

If there's somebody who can tell me how to make the office wireless connect
like the airports and my home, that would be great!

BTW ... it takes me the same amount of waiting time at the office, while
trying to connect to our LAN ... I don't know why.

Best,
Russel

"The Unfortunate Soul" <The Unfortunate Soul@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message news:4346A91F-322D-420F-9E18-DE59008282FD@microsoft.com...
> I have an intermittent problem that is driving me nuts! I am using Vista
> Home Premium on a Dell 1501 with an internal wireless card. My router is
> on
> a pc running XP. The router is a linksys WRT55AG running 802.11g. All of
> my
> other computers have no problem connecting to the router through wireless.
> The vista machine goes into this fit 80% of the time where I get the
> infamous
> yellow triangle telling me I have limited or no connectivity and I can not
> access internet (Local only - whatever that means). I went to Microsoft
> help
> page and found out that the power saving feature messes things up and
> since
> then I am running at high power so that's not the issue. It does not
> matter
> where the computer is. Even if I am sitting right next to the router, it
> still does not connect to internet. 20% of the time it starts right up
> (like
> right now) and I get the little earth thing on the taskbar and I can get
> the internet. Dell of couse said it is a Vista issue and I am sure
> Microsoft
> will tell me it is a Dell issue. There is nothing wrong with the wireless
> card and I have run all kinds of diagnostics on it and it has the latest
> driver. Any help or insight will be appreciated.

Frustrated..

RE: Limited or no connectivity when connecting to a wireless router
You are not the only one with this problem. I have the exact same problem and
have tried everything. Just about every second time I turn my computer on it
happens and to set the computer up with the internet was another hassle in
its self. My flat mate has a vista laptop also and this happens to his
aswell.

I have a belkin wireless router and their technical support told me most
people who call about this issue have vista computers. The technical support
told me to contact mirocsoft or check on the website as there should be an
available update to fix this issue although I have not looked into this as of
yet. Have you managed to fix this yet?
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Limited or no connectivity when connecting to a wireless router
Sounds like compatible issue. There are many possible solutions: upgrade the
firmware or driver, disable Ipv6 or re-configure the NIC speed. Or this link
may give more details.

Vista Local Only and Limited or Not ConnectivityVista Limited connectivity
Vista: Local only - no Internet issues ... Vista Wireless Limited or No
Connectivity Vista: Wireless local only ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistalocalonly.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"The Unfortunate Soul" <The Unfortunate Soul@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message news:4346A91F-322D-420F-9E18-DE59008282FD@microsoft.com...
>I have an intermittent problem that is driving me nuts! I am using Vista
> Home Premium on a Dell 1501 with an internal wireless card. My router is
> on
> a pc running XP. The router is a linksys WRT55AG running 802.11g. All of
> my
> other computers have no problem connecting to the router through wireless.
> The vista machine goes into this fit 80% of the time where I get the
> infamous
> yellow triangle telling me I have limited or no connectivity and I can not
> access internet (Local only - whatever that means). I went to Microsoft
> help
> page and found out that the power saving feature messes things up and
> since
> then I am running at high power so that's not the issue. It does not
> matter
> where the computer is. Even if I am sitting right next to the router, it
> still does not connect to internet. 20% of the time it starts right up
> (like
> right now) and I get the little earth thing on the taskbar and I can get
> the internet. Dell of couse said it is a Vista issue and I am sure
> Microsoft
> will tell me it is a Dell issue. There is nothing wrong with the wireless
> card and I have run all kinds of diagnostics on it and it has the latest
> driver. Any help or insight will be appreciated.

Larry Seale

Re: Limited or no connectivity when connecting to a wireless router

My 10 day old Dell XPS M1330 had no problems connecting through my older
Linksys wireless at my home, but I have experienced this problem now
that I am staying at a hotel using a D-link router. I connected the
first time but not since then for two days running, although other
computers can. I connect to the router, but am not supplied with a
connection to the Internet. I haven't found a suitable solution on the
Microsoft Vista site yet, but still looking there and elsewhere.

--
Larry Seale
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Limited or no connectivity when connecting to a wireless router
It could be the incompatible issue. porting the result of ipconfig /all here
may help. Or check this link.

Vista incompatible issuesVista Incompatible issues. 1. Some switches or
routers may not compatible with Vista - Solutions: upgrade the firmware,
disable the IPv6, re-configure the ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistacompatible.htm