Unable to connect to Wireless Network after Sleep/Hibernate

=?Utf-8?B?Um9taWw=?=

Unable to connect to Wireless Network after Sleep/Hibernate
I recently bought a HP laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium installed and
inbuilt wireless. I was successfully able to establish a wireless network
with my linksys router. The problem is whenever I hibernate my machine or use
the sleep option, after starting up its not able to find any wireless
networks and therefore cannot connect. If I shutdown and then restart, its
able to detect wireless networks again and connects automatically to my
default network. My wireless is being managed by inbuilt HP utility. It has
to be a Windows issue as one of friends is also facing similar problems with
a different brand laptop.
Is that a known issue or any setting I can change to resolve.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Unable to connect to Wireless Network after Sleep/Hibernate
Disable IPV6. Or this link may help,

Troubleshooting Vista Wireless
http://www.chicagotech.net/forum1.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Romil" <Romil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:230EA315-A6ED-4F4A-A0CC-FA4B8B51911E@microsoft.com...
I recently bought a HP laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium installed and
inbuilt wireless. I was successfully able to establish a wireless network
with my linksys router. The problem is whenever I hibernate my machine or use
the sleep option, after starting up its not able to find any wireless
networks and therefore cannot connect. If I shutdown and then restart, its
able to detect wireless networks again and connects automatically to my
default network. My wireless is being managed by inbuilt HP utility. It has
to be a Windows issue as one of friends is also facing similar problems with
a different brand laptop.
Is that a known issue or any setting I can change to resolve.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
=?Utf-8?B?Um9taWw=?=

Re: Unable to connect to Wireless Network after Sleep/Hibernate
Thank you. I'll give it a try tonight.

jimvernon2003@gmail.com

On Mar 5, 1:04 pm, Romil <R...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I recently bought a HP laptop with WindowsVistaHome Premium installed and
> inbuilt wireless. I was successfully able to establish a wirelessnetwork
> with my linksys router. The problem is whenever I hibernate my machine or use
> thesleepoption, after starting up its not able to find any wireless
> networks and therefore cannot connect. If I shutdown and then restart, its
> able to detect wireless networks again and connects automatically to my
> defaultnetwork. My wireless is being managed by inbuilt HP utility. It has
> to be a Windows issue as one of friends is also facing similar problems with
> a different brand laptop.
> Is that a known issue or any setting I can change to resolve.
> Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks

I was having hte same problem and just fixed it tonight.

Get properties on your network connection and click on Configure...
Then click on the Power Management tab. Uncheck "Allow this computer
to turn of this device to save power". Click Ok.

Now it should be fine. At least mine was fine after I did this. I
think what happens is that Vista somehow disables the adapter (in some
kind of behind the scenes way that you don't see) and doesn't turn it
back on until you disable/re-enable the adapter or reboot the machine.

=?Utf-8?B?Um9taWw=?=

Re: Unable to connect to Wireless Network after Sleep/Hibernate
I changed the power settings to not turn off the wireless adapter. I also
disabled IPv6. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. Yesterday, it
started fine after Sleep but then got disconnected after 15-20 minutes all of
a sudden. The machine was not even idle and I was online. Then I hibernated
it for a while and after that it didn't work. I had to reboot twice to get it
to work.
Once it gets disconnected, only option after that is to reboot. Nothing else
fixes it.
Any more ideas guys !! I cannot believe Microsoft hasn't released a patch yet.

"jimvernon2003@gmail.com" wrote:

> On Mar 5, 1:04 pm, Romil <R...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > I recently bought a HP laptop with WindowsVistaHome Premium installed and
> > inbuilt wireless. I was successfully able to establish a wirelessnetwork
> > with my linksys router. The problem is whenever I hibernate my machine or use
> > thesleepoption, after starting up its not able to find any wireless
> > networks and therefore cannot connect. If I shutdown and then restart, its
> > able to detect wireless networks again and connects automatically to my
> > defaultnetwork. My wireless is being managed by inbuilt HP utility. It has
> > to be a Windows issue as one of friends is also facing similar problems with
> > a different brand laptop.
> > Is that a known issue or any setting I can change to resolve.
> > Any help is greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks

> I was having hte same problem and just fixed it tonight.
>
> Get properties on your network connection and click on Configure...
> Then click on the Power Management tab. Uncheck "Allow this computer
> to turn of this device to save power". Click Ok.
>
> Now it should be fine. At least mine was fine after I did this. I
> think what happens is that Vista somehow disables the adapter (in some
> kind of behind the scenes way that you don't see) and doesn't turn it
> back on until you disable/re-enable the adapter or reboot the machine.

=?Utf-8?B?S2ltIFtNU10=?=

Re: Unable to connect to Wireless Network after Sleep/Hibernate
Romil,

If you're getting kicked off the wireless network periodically, then you
might be having a mismatch between your client security settings and the AP.
Check to make sure both are the same, and let me know.

"Romil" wrote:

> I changed the power settings to not turn off the wireless adapter. I also
> disabled IPv6. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. Yesterday, it
> started fine after Sleep but then got disconnected after 15-20 minutes all of
> a sudden. The machine was not even idle and I was online. Then I hibernated
> it for a while and after that it didn't work. I had to reboot twice to get it
> to work.
> Once it gets disconnected, only option after that is to reboot. Nothing else
> fixes it.
> Any more ideas guys !! I cannot believe Microsoft hasn't released a patch yet.
>
> "jimvernon2003@gmail.com" wrote:
>
> > On Mar 5, 1:04 pm, Romil <R...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > > I recently bought a HP laptop with WindowsVistaHome Premium installed and
> > > inbuilt wireless. I was successfully able to establish a wirelessnetwork
> > > with my linksys router. The problem is whenever I hibernate my machine or use
> > > thesleepoption, after starting up its not able to find any wireless
> > > networks and therefore cannot connect. If I shutdown and then restart, its
> > > able to detect wireless networks again and connects automatically to my
> > > defaultnetwork. My wireless is being managed by inbuilt HP utility. It has
> > > to be a Windows issue as one of friends is also facing similar problems with
> > > a different brand laptop.
> > > Is that a known issue or any setting I can change to resolve.
> > > Any help is greatly appreciated.
> > >
> > > Thanks

> > I was having hte same problem and just fixed it tonight.
> >
> > Get properties on your network connection and click on Configure...
> > Then click on the Power Management tab. Uncheck "Allow this computer
> > to turn of this device to save power". Click Ok.
> >
> > Now it should be fine. At least mine was fine after I did this. I
> > think what happens is that Vista somehow disables the adapter (in some
> > kind of behind the scenes way that you don't see) and doesn't turn it
> > back on until you disable/re-enable the adapter or reboot the machine.

Hamid

Re: Unable to connect to Wireless Network after Sleep/Hibernate
Hi,
I have the same problem with my newly bought HP Tablet PC. But when I open
the "properties" box of my wireless connection and then click on
"configure..." there is no "Power Management" tab. I looked for a similar
option in other parts of this box but found nothing. Does anyone have any
idea what can be my problem?
Thanks,
Hamid

"Kim [MS]" wrote:

> Romil,
>
> If you're getting kicked off the wireless network periodically, then you
> might be having a mismatch between your client security settings and the AP.
> Check to make sure both are the same, and let me know.
>

> "Romil" wrote:
>
> > I changed the power settings to not turn off the wireless adapter. I also
> > disabled IPv6. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. Yesterday, it
> > started fine after Sleep but then got disconnected after 15-20 minutes all of
> > a sudden. The machine was not even idle and I was online. Then I hibernated
> > it for a while and after that it didn't work. I had to reboot twice to get it
> > to work.
> > Once it gets disconnected, only option after that is to reboot. Nothing else
> > fixes it.
> > Any more ideas guys !! I cannot believe Microsoft hasn't released a patch yet.

> > > I was having hte same problem and just fixed it tonight.
> > >
> > > Get properties on your network connection and click on Configure...
> > > Then click on the Power Management tab. Uncheck "Allow this computer
> > > to turn of this device to save power". Click Ok.
> > >
> > > Now it should be fine. At least mine was fine after I did this. I
> > > think what happens is that Vista somehow disables the adapter (in some
> > > kind of behind the scenes way that you don't see) and doesn't turn it
> > > back on until you disable/re-enable the adapter or reboot the machine.

Heather

Re: Unable to connect to Wireless Network after Sleep/Hibernate
You can't find the tab because the Power Management is only in the wired
properties, its not for wireless. I am still having the same problem with my
wireless internet still disconnecting all the time, so other than that I have
no idea what to do. I just have to keep restarting my computer to get it back
online.

"Hamid" wrote:

> Hi,
> I have the same problem with my newly bought HP Tablet PC. But when I open
> the "properties" box of my wireless connection and then click on
> "configure..." there is no "Power Management" tab. I looked for a similar
> option in other parts of this box but found nothing. Does anyone have any
> idea what can be my problem?
> Thanks,
> Hamid
>
> "Kim [MS]" wrote:
>
> > Romil,
> >
> > If you're getting kicked off the wireless network periodically, then you
> > might be having a mismatch between your client security settings and the AP.
> > Check to make sure both are the same, and let me know.
> >

> > "Romil" wrote:
> >
> > > I changed the power settings to not turn off the wireless adapter. I also
> > > disabled IPv6. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. Yesterday, it
> > > started fine after Sleep but then got disconnected after 15-20 minutes all of
> > > a sudden. The machine was not even idle and I was online. Then I hibernated
> > > it for a while and after that it didn't work. I had to reboot twice to get it
> > > to work.
> > > Once it gets disconnected, only option after that is to reboot. Nothing else
> > > fixes it.
> > > Any more ideas guys !! I cannot believe Microsoft hasn't released a patch yet.

wlowes

Re: Unable to connect to Wireless Network after Sleep/Hibernate

I am having the same problem on a Toshiba Satellite. At night, it
hibernates, and in the morning refuses to connect to the internet. It
finds the AP and indicates local connection only. Rebooting generally
does not help. Sometimes the repair function will allow it to get a new
IP address and then it will be ok. Sometimes it just quits for no
reason. All the other machines in the house run XP and are fine.
I have updated the wireless driver, put on service pack 1, set the
wireless router to factory settings, deinstalled Norton and still the
problem persists.

I don't get it.
The thing worked fine for months... I am thinking its time to get a
copy of XP and be done with all this hastle. All I use the computer for
is surfing the net and it basically does not work most of the time.

--
wlowes
Barb Bowman

Re: Unable to connect to Wireless Network after Sleep/Hibernate
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b/933872/en-us

and update the firmware on the router. look for a newer driver for
your wireless card.

please post your problem in a NEW thread. you are replying to a
thread almost a year old.

On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 07:36:32 -0500, wlowes <guest@unknown-email.com>
wrote:

>I am having the same problem on a Toshiba Satellite. At night, it
>hibernates, and in the morning refuses to connect to the internet. It
>finds the AP and indicates local connection only. Rebooting generally
>does not help. Sometimes the repair function will allow it to get a new
>IP address and then it will be ok. Sometimes it just quits for no
>reason. All the other machines in the house run XP and are fine.
>I have updated the wireless driver, put on service pack 1, set the
>wireless router to factory settings, deinstalled Norton and still the
>problem persists.
>
>I don't get it.
>The thing worked fine for months... I am thinking its time to get a
>copy of XP and be done with all this hastle. All I use the computer for
>is surfing the net and it basically does not work most of the time.

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP