Sorry for posting yet again on this error, but I have exhausted every thread and topic I can find on the internet on the subject (including the ones listed elsewhere here), but nothing has helped me overcome it when sharing from a vista home premium box.
My network is
- Three XP Pro machines
- Two linux ubuntu (SAMBA) pcs, one acting as a file server
- One VISTA HOME PREMIUM setup driving the home entertainment. I recently downgraded it from Windows XP MCE
- NETCOMM NB9W Modem/ Router
The communication between the XP and linux PCs is fine.
- From the VISTA box I can see the other PCs, I can ping them by IP address and name.
- From the XP pcs I can see and ping the VISTA box by name and IP address.
- From the Linux boxes I can see & ping the Vista PC
Internet access is fine from all PCs.
For the purpose of this exercise all firewalls are turned off.
I have tried static and dynamic IP addresses.
I believe public access and file sharing parameters on the VISTA pc are correct and certainly in line with advice I received from Microsoft when I paid for their foreign accent support
The rub is I cannot access shared folders to and from the vista PC. From the XP > VISTA I get "You might not have permission to access blah blah blah... network path not found"
From the Linux PCs I get a timed out.
From Vista to the other PCs I get 0x80070035 Network Path not found.
I feel this is the last gasp for me with Vista, but before I remove it and put XP MCE back this weekend maybe someone can suggest something I may have missed?
NB: I have tried both wired and wireless connections. I am confident the hardware is good.