Cannot see Windows XP Computers

=?Utf-8?B?QmlsbCBGcnk=?=

Cannot see Windows XP Computers
I have 3 PC's, and 2 Notebooks on a home network. I purchased a Vista
Machine and can not see the XP Pro Machines. I have upgraded one machine to
Vista and can see the other Vista machine, but still can not see the XP
Boxes. All have file sharing and all have the same Workgroup Name.

I can ping the machines, just not connect to them.
=?Utf-8?B?U2Ftc2tp?=

RE: Cannot see Windows XP Computers
similar position here... how do i ping them. I am recieving internet through
mine but none of the shared files that my old pc used to pick up

"Bill Fry" wrote:

> I have 3 PC's, and 2 Notebooks on a home network. I purchased a Vista
> Machine and can not see the XP Pro Machines. I have upgraded one machine to
> Vista and can see the other Vista machine, but still can not see the XP
> Boxes. All have file sharing and all have the same Workgroup Name.
>
> I can ping the machines, just not connect to them.

=?Utf-8?B?amF0?=

RE: Cannot see Windows XP Computers
I also cannot see my xp pro pc from vista. I can get on the net. I can see
the vista pc from xp ( but not access it). Help!

"Samski" wrote:

> similar position here... how do i ping them. I am recieving internet through
> mine but none of the shared files that my old pc used to pick up
>
> "Bill Fry" wrote:
>
> > I have 3 PC's, and 2 Notebooks on a home network. I purchased a Vista
> > Machine and can not see the XP Pro Machines. I have upgraded one machine to
> > Vista and can see the other Vista machine, but still can not see the XP
> > Boxes. All have file sharing and all have the same Workgroup Name.
> >
> > I can ping the machines, just not connect to them.

jeffmill

Re: Cannot see Windows XP Computers
I encountered this too. It seems the default names for the workgroups were
different in the OSs. There was one called "MSHOME" another called
"WORKGROUP" I can't even remember the others... way too much information for
my feeble little brain. In Vista under the Control Panel Applet "Network and
File Sharing Center" you will see a graphic of your computer, the Workgroup
name the computer is using on the Lan and the Internet Globe. Ensure the
Workgroup name here is the same as the rest of your network. If you don't
already know it, you'll have to sneakernet over to one of the other machines
on the network and check the Network applet in the Control Panel there. Back
at the Vista machine directly below the Internet Globe there is a
"Customize" link. There you can change it to match your workgroup. Ensure
"Network Discovery" is enabled under "Sharing and Discovery"

Reboot (whether it tells you to or not) and then open the "Computer" folder.
Click the "Network" link, and eventually you should see the rest of the
computers in the network. You should be able to share folders and printers
normally at this point.

I hope this is what fixes it for you... It took me three days on and off to
find this before I could use the Printer...
jeff

"jat" <jat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I also cannot see my xp pro pc from vista. I can get on the net. I can see
> the vista pc from xp ( but not access it). Help!
>
> "Samski" wrote:
>
>> similar position here... how do i ping them. I am recieving internet
>> through
>> mine but none of the shared files that my old pc used to pick up
>>
>> "Bill Fry" wrote:
>>
>> > I have 3 PC's, and 2 Notebooks on a home network. I purchased a Vista
>> > Machine and can not see the XP Pro Machines. I have upgraded one
>> > machine to
>> > Vista and can see the other Vista machine, but still can not see the XP
>> > Boxes. All have file sharing and all have the same Workgroup Name.
>> >
>> > I can ping the machines, just not connect to them.

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Cannot see Windows XP Computers
Make sure all computers are in the same workgroup. Also make sure enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP. These troubleshooting may help,

Step by step troubleshooting VISTA sharing
http://www.chicagotech.net/forum1.htm

Vista Troubleshooting Collections
http://www.chicagotech.net/forum1.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Bill Fry" <BillFry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:450229BE-7ADF-4BBB-B102-F71EDF9EFC24@microsoft.com...
I have 3 PC's, and 2 Notebooks on a home network. I purchased a Vista
Machine and can not see the XP Pro Machines. I have upgraded one machine to
Vista and can see the other Vista machine, but still can not see the XP
Boxes. All have file sharing and all have the same Workgroup Name.

I can ping the machines, just not connect to them.
=?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBTLg==?=

Re: Cannot see Windows XP Computers
Bob, come on, please take this a little more seriously. I have tried every
imaginable fix for this, including this one. All I really want to do is
connect thsi stupid Vista machine to my printer.

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> Make sure all computers are in the same workgroup. Also make sure enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP. These troubleshooting may help,
>
> Step by step troubleshooting VISTA sharing
> http://www.chicagotech.net/forum1.htm
>
> Vista Troubleshooting Collections
> http://www.chicagotech.net/forum1.htm
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "Bill Fry" <BillFry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:450229BE-7ADF-4BBB-B102-F71EDF9EFC24@microsoft.com...
> I have 3 PC's, and 2 Notebooks on a home network. I purchased a Vista
> Machine and can not see the XP Pro Machines. I have upgraded one machine to
> Vista and can see the other Vista machine, but still can not see the XP
> Boxes. All have file sharing and all have the same Workgroup Name.
>
> I can ping the machines, just not connect to them

=?Utf-8?B?QmlsbCBGcnk=?=

Re: Cannot see Windows XP Computers
I have done that. All of my computers have the same Workgroup name
associated with them. I even turned off all the firewalls as wll, but can
not access or see the XP computers.

"jeffmill" wrote:

> I encountered this too. It seems the default names for the workgroups were
> different in the OSs. There was one called "MSHOME" another called
> "WORKGROUP" I can't even remember the others... way too much information for
> my feeble little brain. In Vista under the Control Panel Applet "Network and
> File Sharing Center" you will see a graphic of your computer, the Workgroup
> name the computer is using on the Lan and the Internet Globe. Ensure the
> Workgroup name here is the same as the rest of your network. If you don't
> already know it, you'll have to sneakernet over to one of the other machines
> on the network and check the Network applet in the Control Panel there. Back
> at the Vista machine directly below the Internet Globe there is a
> "Customize" link. There you can change it to match your workgroup. Ensure
> "Network Discovery" is enabled under "Sharing and Discovery"
>
> Reboot (whether it tells you to or not) and then open the "Computer" folder.
> Click the "Network" link, and eventually you should see the rest of the
> computers in the network. You should be able to share folders and printers
> normally at this point.
>
> I hope this is what fixes it for you... It took me three days on and off to
> find this before I could use the Printer...
> jeff
>
> "jat" <jat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I also cannot see my xp pro pc from vista. I can get on the net. I can see
> > the vista pc from xp ( but not access it). Help!
> >
> > "Samski" wrote:
> >
> >> similar position here... how do i ping them. I am recieving internet
> >> through
> >> mine but none of the shared files that my old pc used to pick up

=?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBTLg==?=

Re: Cannot see Windows XP Computers - This is a Vista issue
Bill: I have been fighting this exact same problem for about 2 weeks, since
I bought a new HP s7700n with Vista Home Premium pre-installed. I am
moderately capable and I have spent many hours on this, but I have not been
able to solve it. I am convinced this is a Microsoft Vista issue, and I
would like to see one of the Microsoft experts address it in this forum. I
can tell you that I am ready to junk them all and buy Macs. This type of
basic networking business should have been ironed out long before release.

Details:
The other two computers in my network are a desktop and a laptop, both
running XP Professional.
The desktop is cable connected to a DLink DI-624, the laptop and Vista
machine are wireless.
Using the command line I can ping the XP computers from the Vista computer
and vice versa, both by name and by IP address.
I can access the internet on the Vista computer.
I can access the Vista shared folders from the two XP machines and can map
them to network drives, and the Vista machine shows up on the network lists
of the XP machines.
I CANNOT access the XP folders from the Vista computer, and they don't show
up on the list of workgroup computers. This is constant no matter what I try.
I can connect to the Vista from the XP computers by name through the run..
open dialog on the start menu.
I cannot connect to the XP machines from the Vista machine through the
run... open dialog, and get an error that Windows cannot find the network
path.
Sharing works normally between the two XP computers.
All are in the same workgroup.
All are running McAffee antivirus that I get free from Comcast.
I cannot add the shared printer connected to the XP desktop either by name
or IP address, and it isn't found by the Vista network search. Adding it by
name results in an error that the server print spooler service has stopped
(it hasn't).
All computers show up in the network map (what a useless cartoon), so please
don't respond with that LLTD download link, it's already installed.

I have tried all of the following:
Enabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP
Turned off all firewalls and antivirus software on all machines in all
combinations.
Upgraded the router firmware.
Reset the cable modem and reset the router to factory defaults, deleted all
network connections, disabled the network adaptor, turned off all sharing,
and re-created the network from scratch.
Replaced the router (temporarily).
Turned sharing off and then on again on the XP machines.
Turned off IPv6.
Deleted Juniper Networks SSL VPN from the XP machine.
Deleted all registry keys and folders from an uninstalled Norton antivirus
that had come pre-installed on the Vista computer.
Used a cable to connect the Vista computer instead of the wireless.
In desperation I even tried calling HP technical support in Bangalore; for
some reason my copy of Vista is not eligible for free MS support.

I will be happy to post the IP config information if anyone thinks it will
help.
Experts?

"Bill Fry" wrote:

> I have done that. All of my computers have the same Workgroup name
> associated with them. I even turned off all the firewalls as wll, but can
> not access or see the XP computers.
>
> "jeffmill" wrote:
>
> > I encountered this too. It seems the default names for the workgroups were
> > different in the OSs. There was one called "MSHOME" another called
> > "WORKGROUP" I can't even remember the others... way too much information for
> > my feeble little brain. In Vista under the Control Panel Applet "Network and
> > File Sharing Center" you will see a graphic of your computer, the Workgroup
> > name the computer is using on the Lan and the Internet Globe. Ensure the
> > Workgroup name here is the same as the rest of your network. If you don't
> > already know it, you'll have to sneakernet over to one of the other machines
> > on the network and check the Network applet in the Control Panel there. Back
> > at the Vista machine directly below the Internet Globe there is a
> > "Customize" link. There you can change it to match your workgroup. Ensure
> > "Network Discovery" is enabled under "Sharing and Discovery"
> >
> > Reboot (whether it tells you to or not) and then open the "Computer" folder.
> > Click the "Network" link, and eventually you should see the rest of the
> > computers in the network. You should be able to share folders and printers
> > normally at this point.
> >
> > I hope this is what fixes it for you... It took me three days on and off to
> > find this before I could use the Printer...
> > jeff
> >
> > "jat" <jat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I also cannot see my xp pro pc from vista. I can get on the net. I can see
> > > the vista pc from xp ( but not access it). Help!

=?Utf-8?B?U2Ftc2tp?=

Re: Cannot see Windows XP Computers
done this... didnt work... can someone remind me how to use the run... thing
on the xp and the vista pc to check if i can at least find them?

"jeffmill" wrote:

> I encountered this too. It seems the default names for the workgroups were
> different in the OSs. There was one called "MSHOME" another called
> "WORKGROUP" I can't even remember the others... way too much information for
> my feeble little brain. In Vista under the Control Panel Applet "Network and
> File Sharing Center" you will see a graphic of your computer, the Workgroup
> name the computer is using on the Lan and the Internet Globe. Ensure the
> Workgroup name here is the same as the rest of your network. If you don't
> already know it, you'll have to sneakernet over to one of the other machines
> on the network and check the Network applet in the Control Panel there. Back
> at the Vista machine directly below the Internet Globe there is a
> "Customize" link. There you can change it to match your workgroup. Ensure
> "Network Discovery" is enabled under "Sharing and Discovery"
>
> Reboot (whether it tells you to or not) and then open the "Computer" folder.
> Click the "Network" link, and eventually you should see the rest of the
> computers in the network. You should be able to share folders and printers
> normally at this point.
>
> I hope this is what fixes it for you... It took me three days on and off to
> find this before I could use the Printer...
> jeff
>
> "jat" <jat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I also cannot see my xp pro pc from vista. I can get on the net. I can see
> > the vista pc from xp ( but not access it). Help!
> >
> > "Samski" wrote:
> >
> >> similar position here... how do i ping them. I am recieving internet
> >> through
> >> mine but none of the shared files that my old pc used to pick up

=?Utf-8?B?U2Ftc2tp?=

Re: Cannot see Windows XP Computers
WAHOO! Its working. I disabled my firewall and booted the main pc and it
popped up all working in myt network place... Dont know whether the pcs just
needed a reboot or it was the firewall... Have now reconnected firewall and
all is loverly. Here are my settings (i hope they help):

Network discovery: on
File sharing: on
public folder sharing: off
printer sharing: on (password protected)
Password protected sharing: on
Media sharing: off

I also changed my workgroup name from WORKGROUP to MSHOME and briefly turned
of my firewall (dont know how important that it). DID NOT disable anything in
my wireless connection properties, all the tcp lltd tc things are ticked.

I think microsoft could have atleast included something to detect worgroup
names etc.

oh well... good look to you guys!

sam