helllllllppppppppppppp going crazy with vista and xp netwoorking p

=?Utf-8?B?bGF1cmVu?=

helllllllppppppppppppp going crazy with vista and xp netwoorking p
hi i an running vista on my laptop and have another laptop with xp i am
trying to network them. both can connect to the internet wirelessy by a
router fine. my problem is the vista can see the xp but wont allow me to see
the files and the xp cant see the vista at all. plz help i am going insane.

lauren
James Wilson

Re: helllllllppppppppppppp going crazy with vista and xp netwoorking p
Try installing the LLTD responder from Microsoft on your XP machine, and
make sure both laptops are in the same workgroup.

"lauren" <lauren@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hi i an running vista on my laptop and have another laptop with xp i am
> trying to network them. both can connect to the internet wirelessy by a
> router fine. my problem is the vista can see the xp but wont allow me to
> see
> the files and the xp cant see the vista at all. plz help i am going
> insane.
>
> lauren

=?Utf-8?B?U3JpcHJlc2FubmEgW01TRlRd?=

RE: helllllllppppppppppppp going crazy with vista and xp netwoorking p
Hi Lauren,

we can try a couple of things here

- Ensure both the machines are on the same workgroup as James suggested.
- On the Vista box, Start --> "Network" shows the XP m/c? If yes, when you
try to double click on it, does it throw any error?
- On the Vista machine, Start --> Run --> \\xpbox works?
- On the Vista box, "Network and Sharing Center", turn on "Network
Discovery" and "File and Printer Sharing" --> This should make your Vista box
visible on your XP box.

Please let me know the exact error and we can try to see if we can get this
solved.
Thanks,
Sri

"lauren" wrote:

> hi i an running vista on my laptop and have another laptop with xp i am
> trying to network them. both can connect to the internet wirelessy by a
> router fine. my problem is the vista can see the xp but wont allow me to see
> the files and the xp cant see the vista at all. plz help i am going insane.
>
> lauren

Diamontina Cocktail

Re: helllllllppppppppppppp going crazy with vista and xp netwoorking p

"Sripresanna [MSFT]" <SripresannaMSFT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:466DCA9D-E02E-40E7-82C7-3B041B9FF206@microsoft.com...
> Hi Lauren,
>
> we can try a couple of things here
>
> - Ensure both the machines are on the same workgroup as James suggested.
> - On the Vista box, Start --> "Network" shows the XP m/c? If yes, when you
> try to double click on it, does it throw any error?
> - On the Vista machine, Start --> Run --> \\xpbox works?
> - On the Vista box, "Network and Sharing Center", turn on "Network
> Discovery" and "File and Printer Sharing" --> This should make your Vista
> box
> visible on your XP box.
>
> Please let me know the exact error and we can try to see if we can get
> this
> solved.

Sorry to butt in here but I can see the XP boxes from my Vista box and the
XP boxes can see the Vista box from "View workgroup computers" option in XP.
The Vista box WILL allow me to send files to the XP ones or get them from
there. The XP boxes cannot open anything on the Vista (business edition) box
nor can they use the USB printer plugged into the Vista box even though file
sharing is enabled and printer sharing is enabled. The network is all
wireless and the wired NIC on the Vista box, as it isn't in use, is
disabled. All machines are static IPs and all get internet through the
wireless router, wirelessly. The XP machines can swap files and alter files
on each other just fine.

Any idea how to fix this one please?

=?Utf-8?B?U3JpcHJlc2FubmEgW01TRlRd?=

Re: helllllllppppppppppppp going crazy with vista and xp netwoorki
Hi,

did we check if "Password protection" is enabled on the Vista machine
(Network and Sharing Center)? If it is enabled, then we can try having the
same user id & password on the Vista and XP boxes.

Do let me know if this works.

Thanks,
Sri

"Diamontina Cocktail" wrote:

> "Sripresanna [MSFT]" <SripresannaMSFT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:466DCA9D-E02E-40E7-82C7-3B041B9FF206@microsoft.com...
> > Hi Lauren,
> >
> > we can try a couple of things here
> >
> > - Ensure both the machines are on the same workgroup as James suggested.
> > - On the Vista box, Start --> "Network" shows the XP m/c? If yes, when you
> > try to double click on it, does it throw any error?
> > - On the Vista machine, Start --> Run --> \\xpbox works?
> > - On the Vista box, "Network and Sharing Center", turn on "Network
> > Discovery" and "File and Printer Sharing" --> This should make your Vista
> > box
> > visible on your XP box.
> >
> > Please let me know the exact error and we can try to see if we can get
> > this
> > solved.

> Sorry to butt in here but I can see the XP boxes from my Vista box and the
> XP boxes can see the Vista box from "View workgroup computers" option in XP.
> The Vista box WILL allow me to send files to the XP ones or get them from
> there. The XP boxes cannot open anything on the Vista (business edition) box
> nor can they use the USB printer plugged into the Vista box even though file
> sharing is enabled and printer sharing is enabled. The network is all
> wireless and the wired NIC on the Vista box, as it isn't in use, is
> disabled. All machines are static IPs and all get internet through the
> wireless router, wirelessly. The XP machines can swap files and alter files
> on each other just fine.
>
> Any idea how to fix this one please?

Diamontina Cocktail

Re: helllllllppppppppppppp going crazy with vista and xp netwoorki

Yep did all that. Turned out to be Zone Alarm Pro, though not starting at
startup, interfering with networking.

"Sripresanna [MSFT]" <SripresannaMSFT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:122061DD-89C4-4404-B1C2-608694BC9C80@microsoft.com...