HELP! Can't get localhost to access website without Error 500 mess

=?Utf-8?B?TGFycnkgUy4=?=

HELP! Can't get localhost to access website without Error 500 mess
r using Windows 2000 for several years, I recently purchased a laptop
with Vista Home Premium installed. Since I do some simple web development on
a couple of sites I have (I use Macromedia Homesite to write the code), I set
up IIS. In Windows 2000 I used the PWS interface, which was delightfully
simple. Since Vista doesn't seem to have any equivalent to PWS, at least as
far as I can see, I'm struggling to find my way through IIS itself.

After setting up a default web directory in IIS, I tried to access it through
localhost, but got an error message (Error 500) with a long explanation of
possible problems. The most likely seemed to relate to either authentication
or something in the congiguration of IIS, but I was still not able to get
localhost to access the directory. I just want to set up the web site on my
computer for local access from my computer for development purposes, and will
then FTP to the outside host for public access. Any suggestions on what I
need to do to use localhost successfully, as well as how to make sense of and
simplify IIS for my basic purposes, would be appreciated.

--
Larry S

=?Utf-8?B?TGFycnkgUy4=?=

Re: HELP! Can't get localhost to access website without Error 500
Thanks. I appreciate your taking the time to answer.
--
Larry S

"Good News!" wrote:

> You need to give the IIS_USER account access to the folder.
>
> "Larry S." <LarryS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> :r using Windows 2000 for several years, I recently purchased a laptop
> : with Vista Home Premium installed. Since I do some simple web development
> on
> : a couple of sites I have (I use Macromedia Homesite to write the code), I
> set
> : up IIS. In Windows 2000 I used the PWS interface, which was delightfully
> : simple. Since Vista doesn't seem to have any equivalent to PWS, at least
> as
> : far as I can see, I'm struggling to find my way through IIS itself.
> :
> : After setting up a default web directory in IIS, I tried to access it
> through
> : localhost, but got an error message (Error 500) with a long explanation of
> : possible problems. The most likely seemed to relate to either
> authentication
> : or something in the congiguration of IIS, but I was still not able to get
> : localhost to access the directory. I just want to set up the web site on
> my
> : computer for local access from my computer for development purposes, and
> will
> : then FTP to the outside host for public access. Any suggestions on what I
> : need to do to use localhost successfully, as well as how to make sense of
> and
> : simplify IIS for my basic purposes, would be appreciated.
> :
> : --
> : Larry S

=?Utf-8?B?TGFycnkgUy4=?=

Re: HELP! Can't get localhost to access website without Error 500
I tried to figure out how to give the IIS_USER acccount that access, but I
can't seem to find any such account. Am I supposed to create that account in
control panel as a new account? Or is this some modification I should make
to my own user account, and if so, how would I do that? I am logged in as
administrator, if that makes any difference.
--
Larry S

"Good News!" wrote:

> You need to give the IIS_USER account access to the folder.
>
> "Larry S." <LarryS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> :r using Windows 2000 for several years, I recently purchased a laptop
> : with Vista Home Premium installed. Since I do some simple web development
> on
> : a couple of sites I have (I use Macromedia Homesite to write the code), I
> set
> : up IIS. In Windows 2000 I used the PWS interface, which was delightfully
> : simple. Since Vista doesn't seem to have any equivalent to PWS, at least
> as
> : far as I can see, I'm struggling to find my way through IIS itself.
> :
> : After setting up a default web directory in IIS, I tried to access it
> through
> : localhost, but got an error message (Error 500) with a long explanation of
> : possible problems. The most likely seemed to relate to either
> authentication
> : or something in the congiguration of IIS, but I was still not able to get
> : localhost to access the directory. I just want to set up the web site on
> my
> : computer for local access from my computer for development purposes, and
> will
> : then FTP to the outside host for public access. Any suggestions on what I
> : need to do to use localhost successfully, as well as how to make sense of
> and
> : simplify IIS for my basic purposes, would be appreciated.
> :
> : --
> : Larry S

Good News!

Re: HELP! Can't get localhost to access website without Error 500
Hmm, the account should be created when IIS is installed. Try removing and
reinstalling IIS, shouldn't take too long.

:I tried to figure out how to give the IIS_USER acccount that access, but I
: can't seem to find any such account. Am I supposed to create that account
in
: control panel as a new account? Or is this some modification I should
make
: to my own user account, and if so, how would I do that? I am logged in as
: administrator, if that makes any difference.
: --
: Larry S
:
:
: "Good News!" wrote:
:
: > You need to give the IIS_USER account access to the folder.
: >
: > "Larry S." <LarryS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
: > news:9BBFF241-6193-49F5-A1EA-09732251B53B@microsoft.com...
: > :r using Windows 2000 for several years, I recently purchased a laptop
: > : with Vista Home Premium installed. Since I do some simple web
development
: > on
: > : a couple of sites I have (I use Macromedia Homesite to write the
code), I
: > set
: > : up IIS. In Windows 2000 I used the PWS interface, which was
delightfully
: > : simple. Since Vista doesn't seem to have any equivalent to PWS, at
least
: > as
: > : far as I can see, I'm struggling to find my way through IIS itself.
: > :
[...]
: > : --
: > : Larry S
: >
: >
: >

=?Utf-8?B?TGFycnkgUy4=?=

Re: HELP! Can't get localhost to access website without Error 500
I just took IIS off, and then reinstalled it. I'm wondering if I have to
change some of the default settings when I install, for instance I didn't set
it up for dynamic content, since I am not working with that at this time. I
am using Vista Home Premium. I also moved my default web page to a folder I
set up under documents, to make it easier to back up the data. Could this be
part of the problem?

Thanks.
--
Larry S