Cannot find wireless network

=?Utf-8?B?amdhcmNpYTQwOA==?=

Cannot find wireless network
My cousin bought a new laptop about 3 weeks ago and it came with Vista. When
he first got it he brought it to my house and was able to connect to my
wireless connection without any problems. In the bottom right hand corner of
the screen it said there were wireless networks available (mine and 2 others
near when I live). When ever he comes to my house he is still able to
connect to any of the 3 networks available.

The problem is that when he is in an area where there is a confirmed
wireless network, Vista wont recognize them or even state that there are
wireless networks available. He can be right next to a wireless router, and
still no network will show. He has tried a wireless router at home, work,
and a friends house. None of the networks are found on his laptop.

I dont have Vista so its not easy for me to tell him what to do. Can anyone
give any suggestions on how to make his laptop recognize other networks?

=?Utf-8?B?amdhcmNpYTQwOA==?=

Re: Cannot find wireless network
The problem with that is his laptop is wireless ready, so its not a wireless
card, its internal. Thats not good if its a problem with his internal
wireless hardware. I have a wireless card with my laptop, would it be a good
idea to have him try my card and see if he gets better results?

Still, if anyone has any recomendations for getting this built in wireless
to work, I would really appreciate it.

"Good News!" wrote:

> Try another wireless card, unlikely to be a Vista problem.
>

> "jgarcia408" <jgarcia408@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> : My cousin bought a new laptop about 3 weeks ago and it came with Vista.
> When
> : he first got it he brought it to my house and was able to connect to my
> : wireless connection without any problems. In the bottom right hand corner
> of
> : the screen it said there were wireless networks available (mine and 2
> others
> : near when I live). When ever he comes to my house he is still able to
> : connect to any of the 3 networks available.
> :
> : The problem is that when he is in an area where there is a confirmed
> : wireless network, Vista wont recognize them or even state that there are
> : wireless networks available. He can be right next to a wireless router,
> and
> : still no network will show. He has tried a wireless router at home, work,
> : and a friends house. None of the networks are found on his laptop.
> :
> : I dont have Vista so its not easy for me to tell him what to do. Can
> anyone
> : give any suggestions on how to make his laptop recognize other networks?

Malke

jgarcia408 wrote:
> The problem with that is his laptop is wireless ready, so its not a wireless
> card, its internal. Thats not good if its a problem with his internal
> wireless hardware. I have a wireless card with my laptop, would it be a good
> idea to have him try my card and see if he gets better results?
>
> Still, if anyone has any recomendations for getting this built in wireless
> to work, I would really appreciate it.
>
> "Good News!" wrote:
>
>> Try another wireless card, unlikely to be a Vista problem.
>>

>> "jgarcia408" <jgarcia408@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> : My cousin bought a new laptop about 3 weeks ago and it came with Vista.
>> When
>> : he first got it he brought it to my house and was able to connect to my
>> : wireless connection without any problems. In the bottom right hand corner
>> of
>> : the screen it said there were wireless networks available (mine and 2
>> others
>> : near when I live). When ever he comes to my house he is still able to
>> : connect to any of the 3 networks available.
>> :
>> : The problem is that when he is in an area where there is a confirmed
>> : wireless network, Vista wont recognize them or even state that there are
>> : wireless networks available. He can be right next to a wireless router,
>> and
>> : still no network will show. He has tried a wireless router at home, work,
>> : and a friends house. None of the networks are found on his laptop.
>> :
>> : I dont have Vista so its not easy for me to tell him what to do. Can
>> anyone
>> : give any suggestions on how to make his laptop recognize other networks?

Since your friend can connect, the problem isn't the wireless adapter
hardware. From your first post it sounds as though what you are looking
for is the notification that a wireless network is available so that he
can switch to it. Is this correct? When you set up his wireless network,
did you use the management software that came with the adapter or
Vista's? Whichever one your friend is using, switch to the other one. Or
open the configuration for the one you chose and look carefully at the
options; it sounds to me like you enabled "only connect to this network"
or the like.

I don't have wireless on my Vista machine so I can't check for you now.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
=?Utf-8?B?Z2l6bW8=?=

Re: Cannot find wireless network
hey,

i have a similar problem. bought a laptop with vista. connects to the
internet via LAN and my desktop (xp) as well, but with the wireless i only
get to connect to the local network, NOT the internet; i can't find the
correct settings. Any help??

"Malke" wrote:

> jgarcia408 wrote:
> > The problem with that is his laptop is wireless ready, so its not a wireless
> > card, its internal. Thats not good if its a problem with his internal
> > wireless hardware. I have a wireless card with my laptop, would it be a good
> > idea to have him try my card and see if he gets better results?
> >
> > Still, if anyone has any recomendations for getting this built in wireless
> > to work, I would really appreciate it.
> >
> > "Good News!" wrote:
> >
> >> Try another wireless card, unlikely to be a Vista problem.
> >>

> >> "jgarcia408" <jgarcia408@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> : My cousin bought a new laptop about 3 weeks ago and it came with Vista.
> >> When
> >> : he first got it he brought it to my house and was able to connect to my
> >> : wireless connection without any problems. In the bottom right hand corner
> >> of
> >> : the screen it said there were wireless networks available (mine and 2
> >> others
> >> : near when I live). When ever he comes to my house he is still able to
> >> : connect to any of the 3 networks available.
> >> :
> >> : The problem is that when he is in an area where there is a confirmed
> >> : wireless network, Vista wont recognize them or even state that there are
> >> : wireless networks available. He can be right next to a wireless router,
> >> and
> >> : still no network will show. He has tried a wireless router at home, work,
> >> : and a friends house. None of the networks are found on his laptop.
> >> :
> >> : I dont have Vista so its not easy for me to tell him what to do. Can
> >> anyone
> >> : give any suggestions on how to make his laptop recognize other networks?
> >>

> Since your friend can connect, the problem isn't the wireless adapter
> hardware. From your first post it sounds as though what you are looking
> for is the notification that a wireless network is available so that he
> can switch to it. Is this correct? When you set up his wireless network,
> did you use the management software that came with the adapter or
> Vista's? Whichever one your friend is using, switch to the other one. Or
> open the configuration for the one you chose and look carefully at the
> options; it sounds to me like you enabled "only connect to this network"
> or the like.
>
> I don't have wireless on my Vista machine so I can't check for you now.
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

gizmo wrote:
> hey,
>
> i have a similar problem. bought a laptop with vista. connects to the
> internet via LAN and my desktop (xp) as well, but with the wireless i only
> get to connect to the local network, NOT the internet; i can't find the
> correct settings. Any help??

This is not a similar problem. The OP's friend's wireless works. Make a
new post instead of putting your question into the middle of his.
Include the make/model of your wireless adapter and the wireless router.

Malke