Sharing printer on XP machine w/Vista machine

Hula Baloo

Sharing printer on XP machine w/Vista machine
OK, I've got 3 PCs as follows:
PC1 - Runs XP Media Edition with two printers attached & shared
PC1 - Runs XP Home Edition - uses the printers on PC1 via sharing.
PC3 - Runs Vista Business Edition. Shares files & folders just fine,
but for the life of me I cannot get it to add either printer that's on PC1.
I've spent hours pouring over hundreds (thousands?) of posts here.
Initially I was having sharing files & folders too, but once I added
"everybody" to the permissions list on Vista, all my shared files
problems went away. This was cause for great jubilation and
celebration. :-) However the positive atmosphere was once again
stiffled when I went back and tried to access the printers on PC1 again.
Again I was totally foiled, and remain so.
The printers I'm using are (1) A Samsung ML-1210 laser printer, (2) A
Canon Pixima IP1600 inkjet; both connected via USB on PC1. I connected
the Samsung directly into PC3 to be sure I had a valid driver there & it
worked just fine when directly connected. But when I reconnected it
back to PC1 (which runs XP), I just couldn't access it. If I go to
Control Panel -> Printers with Vista, I can click Add Printer and
Network Printer and it successfully finds the two printers on PC1.
However as soon as I click on one of their icons and click NEXT, I get
the following two popups:
"Connecting to ML-1200 on GT4010", then a second later
" Windows cannot connect to the printer, access is denied".
I've turned off the firewalls on both PC1 & PC3, and tried all kinds of
changes on the Vista PC3 including:
- Setting up an administrator ID on the Vista PC to match that on the XP
machine
- Changing the network to PUBLIC, then back to PRIVATE,
- Turning off TCPiv6
- Installing XP fix KB922120
- Turning "password protected sharing" on and off.
- Network discovery ON and OFF.
- Of course all the above was with Vista's File Sharing, Printer
Sharing, and Public Folder Sharing, turned on.
- I tried downloading Network Magic, but two successive attempts ended
in errors.
COULD SOME WISE PERSON PLEASE HELP?! Many thanks in advance - this
is driving me crazy!

Good News!

Re: Sharing printer on XP machine w/Vista machine
You'll need a Vista driver. The XP machine does not have a Vista driver.
Get a Vista driver.

"Hula Baloo" <wpgwpg@yahoo.com> wrote in message
[...]
:

PTravel

Re: Sharing printer on XP machine w/Vista machine

"Hula Baloo" <wpgwpg@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> OK, I've got 3 PCs as follows:
> PC1 - Runs XP Media Edition with two printers attached & shared
> PC1 - Runs XP Home Edition - uses the printers on PC1 via sharing.
> PC3 - Runs Vista Business Edition. Shares files & folders just fine, but
> for the life of me I cannot get it to add either printer that's on PC1.
> I've spent hours pouring over hundreds (thousands?) of posts here.
> Initially I was having sharing files & folders too, but once I added
> "everybody" to the permissions list on Vista, all my shared files problems
> went away. This was cause for great jubilation and celebration. :-)
> However the positive atmosphere was once again stiffled when I went back
> and tried to access the printers on PC1 again. Again I was totally foiled,
> and remain so.
> The printers I'm using are (1) A Samsung ML-1210 laser printer, (2) A
> Canon Pixima IP1600 inkjet; both connected via USB on PC1. I connected
> the Samsung directly into PC3 to be sure I had a valid driver there & it
> worked just fine when directly connected. But when I reconnected it back
> to PC1 (which runs XP), I just couldn't access it. If I go to Control
> Panel -> Printers with Vista, I can click Add Printer and Network Printer
> and it successfully finds the two printers on PC1. However as soon as I
> click on one of their icons and click NEXT, I get the following two
> popups:
> "Connecting to ML-1200 on GT4010", then a second later
> " Windows cannot connect to the printer, access is denied".
> I've turned off the firewalls on both PC1 & PC3, and tried all kinds of
> changes on the Vista PC3 including:
> - Setting up an administrator ID on the Vista PC to match that on the XP
> machine
> - Changing the network to PUBLIC, then back to PRIVATE,
> - Turning off TCPiv6
> - Installing XP fix KB922120
> - Turning "password protected sharing" on and off.
> - Network discovery ON and OFF.
> - Of course all the above was with Vista's File Sharing, Printer Sharing,
> and Public Folder Sharing, turned on.
> - I tried downloading Network Magic, but two successive attempts ended in
> errors.
> COULD SOME WISE PERSON PLEASE HELP?! Many thanks in advance - this is
> driving me crazy!

This can be a number of things. Most likely, you do not have permissions on
the XP machine to access any shares. Make sure your user account on the XP
machine includes "Remote Access" (Administrator isn't enough). Make sure
the printer is shared (you have to turn on sharing for each printer
individually). When installing the printer from Vista make sure that UAC is
turned on.

Hula Baloo

Re: Sharing printer on XP machine w/Vista machine
I believe I mentioned in my original note that I connected the
printer to the Vista machine, installed a Vista-compatible driver, and
got the printer running when locally attached, then tried again to
access it via the original (XP connected) configuration. If the printer
works when locally attached to the Vista machine, wouldn't that mean it
had the driver it needed?

Good News! wrote:
> You'll need a Vista driver. The XP machine does not have a Vista driver.
> Get a Vista driver.
>
> "Hula Baloo" <wpgwpg@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> : OK, I've got 3 PCs as follows:
> : PC1 - Runs XP Media Edition with two printers attached & shared
> : PC2 - Runs XP Home Edition - uses the printers on PC1 via sharing.
> : PC3 - Runs Vista Business Edition. Shares files & folders just fine,
> : but for the life of me I cannot get it to add either printer that's on
> PC1.
> : I've spent hours pouring over hundreds (thousands?) of posts here.
> : Initially I was having sharing files & folders problems too, but once I added
> : "everybody" to the permissions list on Vista, all my shared files
> : problems went away. This was cause for great jubilation and
> : celebration. :-) However the positive atmosphere was once again
> : stiffled when I went back and tried to access the printers on PC1 again.
> : Again I was totally foiled, and remain so.
> : The printers I'm using are (1) A Samsung ML-1210 laser printer, (2) A
> : Canon Pixima IP1600 inkjet; both connected via USB on PC1. I connected
> : the Samsung directly into PC3 to be sure I had a valid driver there & it
> : worked just fine when directly connected. But when I reconnected it
> : back to PC1 (which runs XP), I just couldn't access it. If I go to
> : Control Panel -> Printers with Vista, I can click Add Printer and
> : Network Printer and it successfully finds the two printers on PC1.
> : However as soon as I click on one of their icons and click NEXT, I get
> : the following two popups:
> : "Connecting to ML-1200 on GT4010", then a second later
> : " Windows cannot connect to the printer, access is denied".
> : I've turned off the firewalls on both PC1 & PC3, and tried all kinds of
> : changes on the Vista PC3 including:
> : - Setting up an administrator ID on the Vista PC to match that on the XP
> : machine
> : - Changing the network to PUBLIC, then back to PRIVATE,
> : - Turning off TCPiv6
> : - Installing XP fix KB922120
> : - Turning "password protected sharing" on and off.
> : - Network discovery ON and OFF.
> : - Of course all the above was with Vista's File Sharing, Printer
> : Sharing, and Public Folder Sharing, turned on.
> : - I tried downloading Network Magic, but two successive attempts ended
> : in errors.
> : COULD SOME WISE PERSON PLEASE HELP?! Many thanks in advance - this
> : is driving me crazy!
> :

Hula Baloo

Re: Sharing printer on XP machine w/Vista machine
PTravel, thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think XP Media Center
(or Home) supports permissions, does it? If so, I'd need to find out
how to set 'em. I finally got Network Magic downloaded & installed on
both PCs, and it was a breeze after that. I don't know what it did to
make it work, but it's working now just fine with both remotely shared
printers. Count me as another satisfied Network Magic customer who'd
like to shoot whoever the clever devils were at MS who made this such a
harrang!

PTravel wrote:

> "Hula Baloo" <wpgwpg@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>> OK, I've got 3 PCs as follows:
>> PC1 - Runs XP Media Edition with two printers attached & shared
>> PC2 - Runs XP Home Edition - uses the printers on PC1 via sharing.
>> PC3 - Runs Vista Business Edition. Shares files & folders just fine,
>> but for the life of me I cannot get it to add either printer that's on
>> PC1.
>> I've spent hours pouring over hundreds (thousands?) of posts here.
>> Initially I was having sharing files & folders too, but once I added
>> "everybody" to the permissions list on Vista, all my shared files
>> problems went away. This was cause for great jubilation and
>> celebration. :-) However the positive atmosphere was once again
>> stiffled when I went back and tried to access the printers on PC1
>> again. Again I was totally foiled, and remain so.
>> The printers I'm using are (1) A Samsung ML-1210 laser printer, (2)
>> A Canon Pixima IP1600 inkjet; both connected via USB on PC1. I
>> connected the Samsung directly into PC3 to be sure I had a valid
>> driver there & it worked just fine when directly connected. But when
>> I reconnected it back to PC1 (which runs XP), I just couldn't access
>> it. If I go to Control Panel -> Printers with Vista, I can click Add
>> Printer and Network Printer and it successfully finds the two printers
>> on PC1. However as soon as I click on one of their icons and click
>> NEXT, I get the following two popups:
>> "Connecting to ML-1200 on GT4010", then a second later
>> " Windows cannot connect to the printer, access is denied".
>> I've turned off the firewalls on both PC1 & PC3, and tried all kinds
>> of changes on the Vista PC3 including:
>> - Setting up an administrator ID on the Vista PC to match that on the
>> XP machine
>> - Changing the network to PUBLIC, then back to PRIVATE,
>> - Turning off TCPiv6
>> - Installing XP fix KB922120
>> - Turning "password protected sharing" on and off.
>> - Network discovery ON and OFF.
>> - Of course all the above was with Vista's File Sharing, Printer
>> Sharing, and Public Folder Sharing, turned on.
>> - I tried downloading Network Magic, but two successive attempts ended
>> in errors.
>> COULD SOME WISE PERSON PLEASE HELP?! Many thanks in advance - this
>> is driving me crazy!

> This can be a number of things. Most likely, you do not have
> permissions on the XP machine to access any shares. Make sure your user
> account on the XP machine includes "Remote Access" (Administrator isn't
> enough). Make sure the printer is shared (you have to turn on sharing
> for each printer individually). When installing the printer from Vista
> make sure that UAC is turned on.

Good News!

Re: Sharing printer on XP machine w/Vista machine
Hmmm, not sure. I think it might still be trying to install the driver from
the XP machine.
Computers are dumb. :-P

: Good News! wrote:
: > You'll need a Vista driver. The XP machine does not have a Vista
driver.
: > Get a Vista driver.
: >
[...]
: > :
: >
: >
:

=?Utf-8?B?dmlra2k=?=

RE: Sharing printer on XP machine w/Vista machine

i too have scoured the internet, spent hours on the phone with techs to no
avail until i read someones post to use "network magic". i had tried
EVERYTHING and nothing had worked. NETWORK MAGIC does! Yahoo!

"Hula Baloo" wrote:

> OK, I've got 3 PCs as follows:
> PC1 - Runs XP Media Edition with two printers attached & shared
> PC1 - Runs XP Home Edition - uses the printers on PC1 via sharing.
> PC3 - Runs Vista Business Edition. Shares files & folders just fine,
> but for the life of me I cannot get it to add either printer that's on PC1.
> I've spent hours pouring over hundreds (thousands?) of posts here.
> Initially I was having sharing files & folders too, but once I added
> "everybody" to the permissions list on Vista, all my shared files
> problems went away. This was cause for great jubilation and
> celebration. :-) However the positive atmosphere was once again
> stiffled when I went back and tried to access the printers on PC1 again.
> Again I was totally foiled, and remain so.
> The printers I'm using are (1) A Samsung ML-1210 laser printer, (2) A
> Canon Pixima IP1600 inkjet; both connected via USB on PC1. I connected
> the Samsung directly into PC3 to be sure I had a valid driver there & it
> worked just fine when directly connected. But when I reconnected it
> back to PC1 (which runs XP), I just couldn't access it. If I go to
> Control Panel -> Printers with Vista, I can click Add Printer and
> Network Printer and it successfully finds the two printers on PC1.
> However as soon as I click on one of their icons and click NEXT, I get
> the following two popups:
> "Connecting to ML-1200 on GT4010", then a second later
> " Windows cannot connect to the printer, access is denied".
> I've turned off the firewalls on both PC1 & PC3, and tried all kinds of
> changes on the Vista PC3 including:
> - Setting up an administrator ID on the Vista PC to match that on the XP
> machine
> - Changing the network to PUBLIC, then back to PRIVATE,
> - Turning off TCPiv6
> - Installing XP fix KB922120
> - Turning "password protected sharing" on and off.
> - Network discovery ON and OFF.
> - Of course all the above was with Vista's File Sharing, Printer
> Sharing, and Public Folder Sharing, turned on.
> - I tried downloading Network Magic, but two successive attempts ended
> in errors.
> COULD SOME WISE PERSON PLEASE HELP?! Many thanks in advance - this
> is driving me crazy!

Bucko

Re: Sharing printer on XP machine w/Vista machine
I too installed Network Magic to access a printer on XP Home machine and it
works.. BUT why should we have to install something to our computers that we
should be able to do right out of the box with no problems, I've been
networking computers in my home now since 1999 and NEVER have had to
downgrade myself to installing a piece of software to network 7 computers,
at one time I had 2 98 computers, 2 xp computers and 3 2k computers all
networked fine in addition to having a Playstation and XBox on my router and
switches. I upgrade 3 computers to Vista and suddenly I have to run Network
Magic on my network t obe able to access shared folders and printers.. Am I
a happy camper? No I have spent $400 on Vista Ultimate full install because
I was told on these forums that I could not do a full clean install unless I
bought the full version, which is NOT true, as I did a clean install with an
upgrade key with no problem, then spent $300 on hardware upgrades to run
this software, and I need another $210 now to buy Network Magic to install
on my network to get all of the comptuers to work together. This is pitiful!
I am stuck right now with Ultimate, no use trying to return it. Next time
Mr. Gates comes out with a new OS, I will be the last to upgrade.

"vikki" <vikki@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> i too have scoured the internet, spent hours on the phone with techs to no
> avail until i read someones post to use "network magic". i had tried
> EVERYTHING and nothing had worked. NETWORK MAGIC does! Yahoo!
>
> "Hula Baloo" wrote:
>
>> OK, I've got 3 PCs as follows:
>> PC1 - Runs XP Media Edition with two printers attached & shared
>> PC1 - Runs XP Home Edition - uses the printers on PC1 via sharing.
>> PC3 - Runs Vista Business Edition. Shares files & folders just fine,
>> but for the life of me I cannot get it to add either printer that's on
>> PC1.
>> I've spent hours pouring over hundreds (thousands?) of posts here.
>> Initially I was having sharing files & folders too, but once I added
>> "everybody" to the permissions list on Vista, all my shared files
>> problems went away. This was cause for great jubilation and
>> celebration. :-) However the positive atmosphere was once again
>> stiffled when I went back and tried to access the printers on PC1 again.
>> Again I was totally foiled, and remain so.
>> The printers I'm using are (1) A Samsung ML-1210 laser printer, (2) A
>> Canon Pixima IP1600 inkjet; both connected via USB on PC1. I connected
>> the Samsung directly into PC3 to be sure I had a valid driver there & it
>> worked just fine when directly connected. But when I reconnected it
>> back to PC1 (which runs XP), I just couldn't access it. If I go to
>> Control Panel -> Printers with Vista, I can click Add Printer and
>> Network Printer and it successfully finds the two printers on PC1.
>> However as soon as I click on one of their icons and click NEXT, I get
>> the following two popups:
>> "Connecting to ML-1200 on GT4010", then a second later
>> " Windows cannot connect to the printer, access is denied".
>> I've turned off the firewalls on both PC1 & PC3, and tried all kinds of
>> changes on the Vista PC3 including:
>> - Setting up an administrator ID on the Vista PC to match that on the XP
>> machine
>> - Changing the network to PUBLIC, then back to PRIVATE,
>> - Turning off TCPiv6
>> - Installing XP fix KB922120
>> - Turning "password protected sharing" on and off.
>> - Network discovery ON and OFF.
>> - Of course all the above was with Vista's File Sharing, Printer
>> Sharing, and Public Folder Sharing, turned on.
>> - I tried downloading Network Magic, but two successive attempts ended
>> in errors.
>> COULD SOME WISE PERSON PLEASE HELP?! Many thanks in advance - this
>> is driving me crazy!

AJR

Re: Sharing printer on XP machine w/Vista machine
Unfortunately there are times when we believe we are following the correct
steps to obtain a result but omit some step - have had no problem, nor need
for Network Magic, in sharing printers between XP and Vista. Suggestion
"RTFM" (read the friendly manual)..

"Bucko" <bucko_21@optonline.net> wrote in message
> [...]
>>> the following two popups:
>>> "Connecting to ML-1200 on GT4010", then a second later
>>> " Windows cannot connect to the printer, access is denied".
>>> I've turned off the firewalls on both PC1 & PC3, and tried all kinds of
>>> changes on the Vista PC3 including:
>>> - Setting up an administrator ID on the Vista PC to match that on the XP
>>> machine
>>> - Changing the network to PUBLIC, then back to PRIVATE,
>>> - Turning off TCPiv6
>>> - Installing XP fix KB922120
>>> - Turning "password protected sharing" on and off.
>>> - Network discovery ON and OFF.
>>> - Of course all the above was with Vista's File Sharing, Printer
>>> Sharing, and Public Folder Sharing, turned on.
>>> - I tried downloading Network Magic, but two successive attempts ended
>>> in errors.
>>> COULD SOME WISE PERSON PLEASE HELP?! Many thanks in advance - this

=?Utf-8?B?SmV0IENpdHk=?=

Re: Sharing printer on XP machine w/Vista machine
Bucko,

The cost for an 8 pc license of Network Magic is $50
(http://www.networkmagic.com/purchase.php)

Microsoft should not make it so hard to network, but they do. At least you
don't have to pay $210.