Shared folder is not acessible - please help.

=?Utf-8?B?Um95IE1heW8=?=

Shared folder is not acessible - please help.
Hi,

I have two computers networked through a router. Internet access is perfect.
Acess to the public folder on Vista2 from Vista1 is perfect. Printing from
Vista2 to the printer on Vista1 is perfect.

What I want to do is to backup a partition on Vista1 to a partition on
Vista2 using Acronis.

So I created a partition on Vista2 to hold the image which Acronis would
create. I next 'Shared' this partition. Acronis can see Vista2 from Vista1,
and also the shared partition is visible.

But it is impossible to operate on the shared partition. I get the message
that the partition is not accessible and that I may not have premission etc.

Going from My Computer>Network>Vista2> reveals the shared partition as an
icon. But again , it is not accessible.

I have spent several hours following the guidelines in "Windows Vista Inside
Out", but without success in solving my difficulty.

Please advise me how to gain access permission from Vista1 to the shared
partition on Vista2. I run as an Administrator on both computers.

Thank you,
Roy Mayo.
--
Correct me if Im wrong, but hasnt the fine line between sanity and madness
gotten finer?
=?Utf-8?B?Um95IE1heW8=?=

RE: Shared folder is not acessible - please help.
Hi,
No one on this newsgroup helped me.
So I kept plugging away, and found the solution.

The procedure is to turn on Password Protected Sharing, create new accounts
having the same name and the same password on both computers. Then when you
want to access a shared folder or partition on one computer from the other
computer, just type in that name and password into the window which appears,
and access becomes available.

Be sure that you have the same workgroup name on both computers, the network
is marked as Private, and all the relevant items under Sharing and Discovery
in the Networking Sharing Center are turned on (except for printer sharing
unless you want to do that).

Pages 497 and 498 in the Microsoft Press publication Vista Inside Out are
helpful.

Roy Mayo.