backup utility does not see my backup drive

=?Utf-8?B?Y2FwdGFpbmFr?=

backup utility does not see my backup drive
Please help!!!

When I try to backup computer using Backup and Restore, I get the message
that "Windows cannot find backup devices on your computer. The requested
system device cannot be found." However, I can see my backup drive in
Internet Explorer, can open it, and can copy files to it. I also can back up
files to it using the Backup and Restore.

Why does my computer find my backup drive (external USB) when I try to back
up files only using Backup and Restore, but cannot find the Drive if I use
Backup up Computer in Backup and Restore?

Please help!
Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: backup utility does not see my backup drive
I haven't heard this problem before and will ask the Backup team...stay
tuned.

"captainak" <captainak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Please help!!!
>
> When I try to backup computer using Backup and Restore, I get the message
> that "Windows cannot find backup devices on your computer. The requested
> system device cannot be found." However, I can see my backup drive in
> Internet Explorer, can open it, and can copy files to it. I also can back
> up
> files to it using the Backup and Restore.
>
> Why does my computer find my backup drive (external USB) when I try to
> back
> up files only using Backup and Restore, but cannot find the Drive if I use
> Backup up Computer in Backup and Restore?
>
> Please help!

AJR

Re: backup utility does not see my backup drive
Vista version? Only Business and Ultimate version provide for complete
computer backup.

"Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" <jillz@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I haven't heard this problem before and will ask the Backup team...stay
>tuned.

> rights.
>
> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>

> "captainak" <captainak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Please help!!!
>>
>> When I try to backup computer using Backup and Restore, I get the message
>> that "Windows cannot find backup devices on your computer. The requested
>> system device cannot be found." However, I can see my backup drive in
>> Internet Explorer, can open it, and can copy files to it. I also can back
>> up
>> files to it using the Backup and Restore.
>>
>> Why does my computer find my backup drive (external USB) when I try to
>> back
>> up files only using Backup and Restore, but cannot find the Drive if I
>> use
>> Backup up Computer in Backup and Restore?
>>
>> Please help!

=?Utf-8?B?Y2FwdGFpbmFr?=

Re: backup utility does not see my backup drive
Great I really appreciate your help.

"Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:

> I haven't heard this problem before and will ask the Backup team...stay
> tuned.

> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>

> "captainak" <captainak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Please help!!!
> >
> > When I try to backup computer using Backup and Restore, I get the message
> > that "Windows cannot find backup devices on your computer. The requested
> > system device cannot be found." However, I can see my backup drive in
> > Internet Explorer, can open it, and can copy files to it. I also can back
> > up
> > files to it using the Backup and Restore.
> >
> > Why does my computer find my backup drive (external USB) when I try to
> > back
> > up files only using Backup and Restore, but cannot find the Drive if I use
> > Backup up Computer in Backup and Restore?
> >
> > Please help!

=?Utf-8?B?Y2FwdGFpbmFr?=

Re: backup utility does not see my backup drive
I am using Vista Ultimate.

"AJR" wrote:

> Vista version? Only Business and Ultimate version provide for complete
> computer backup.
>
> "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" <jillz@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I haven't heard this problem before and will ask the Backup team...stay
> >tuned.
> >
> > --
> > rights.
> >
> > Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
> > team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
> >

> > "captainak" <captainak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> Please help!!!
> >>
> >> When I try to backup computer using Backup and Restore, I get the message
> >> that "Windows cannot find backup devices on your computer. The requested
> >> system device cannot be found." However, I can see my backup drive in
> >> Internet Explorer, can open it, and can copy files to it. I also can back
> >> up
> >> files to it using the Backup and Restore.
> >>
> >> Why does my computer find my backup drive (external USB) when I try to
> >> back
> >> up files only using Backup and Restore, but cannot find the Drive if I
> >> use
> >> Backup up Computer in Backup and Restore?
> >>
> >> Please help!

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: backup utility does not see my backup drive
One key difference between the two backup apps is that Complete PC Backup
requires NTFS formatted hard disk, while File Backup will accept FAT in
addition to NTFS. Can you confirm whether your external USB disk is
formatted as FAT or NTFS?

"captainak" <captainak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Please help!!!
>
> When I try to backup computer using Backup and Restore, I get the message
> that "Windows cannot find backup devices on your computer. The requested
> system device cannot be found." However, I can see my backup drive in
> Internet Explorer, can open it, and can copy files to it. I also can back
> up
> files to it using the Backup and Restore.
>
> Why does my computer find my backup drive (external USB) when I try to
> back
> up files only using Backup and Restore, but cannot find the Drive if I use
> Backup up Computer in Backup and Restore?
>
> Please help!

=?Utf-8?B?U3Vubnk=?=

Re: backup utility does not see my backup drive
I am having the exact same issue. I am using vista ultimate and its a
standalone machine. when i am trying to use Compelete PC backup i get this
error:
---------------------------
Windows Backup
---------------------------
Windows could not find backup devices on your computer. The following
information might explain why this problem occurred:
The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
(0x8007007B)
Please close the backup application and try again.
---------------------------
OK
---------------------------
I have tried everything possbile including attaching external hard drive,
insterting blank hard disc in DVD read write but nothing works.

"Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:

> One key difference between the two backup apps is that Complete PC Backup
> requires NTFS formatted hard disk, while File Backup will accept FAT in
> addition to NTFS. Can you confirm whether your external USB disk is
> formatted as FAT or NTFS?

> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>

> "captainak" <captainak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Please help!!!
> >
> > When I try to backup computer using Backup and Restore, I get the message
> > that "Windows cannot find backup devices on your computer. The requested
> > system device cannot be found." However, I can see my backup drive in
> > Internet Explorer, can open it, and can copy files to it. I also can back
> > up
> > files to it using the Backup and Restore.
> >
> > Why does my computer find my backup drive (external USB) when I try to
> > back
> > up files only using Backup and Restore, but cannot find the Drive if I use
> > Backup up Computer in Backup and Restore?
> >
> > Please help!

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: backup utility does not see my backup drive
What kind of computer are you using...is it brand new?

"Sunny" <Sunny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am having the exact same issue. I am using vista ultimate and its a
> standalone machine. when i am trying to use Compelete PC backup i get this
> error:
> ---------------------------
> Windows Backup
> ---------------------------
> Windows could not find backup devices on your computer. The following
> information might explain why this problem occurred:
> The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
> (0x8007007B)
> Please close the backup application and try again.
> ---------------------------
> OK
> ---------------------------
> I have tried everything possbile including attaching external hard drive,
> insterting blank hard disc in DVD read write but nothing works.
>

> "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> One key difference between the two backup apps is that Complete PC Backup
>> requires NTFS formatted hard disk, while File Backup will accept FAT in
>> addition to NTFS. Can you confirm whether your external USB disk is
>> formatted as FAT or NTFS?

>> rights.
>>
>> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
>> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>>

>> "captainak" <captainak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Please help!!!
>> >
>> > When I try to backup computer using Backup and Restore, I get the
>> > message
>> > that "Windows cannot find backup devices on your computer. The
>> > requested
>> > system device cannot be found." However, I can see my backup drive in
>> > Internet Explorer, can open it, and can copy files to it. I also can
>> > back
>> > up
>> > files to it using the Backup and Restore.
>> >
>> > Why does my computer find my backup drive (external USB) when I try to
>> > back
>> > up files only using Backup and Restore, but cannot find the Drive if I
>> > use
>> > Backup up Computer in Backup and Restore?
>> >
>> > Please help!

vecnah

Re: backup utility does not see my backup drive

Using Vista Enterprise,

backup used to work previously , but I move some partition and resized
, now it's stuck with the old parameters , won't backup and there is no
option to clear the backup parameters. and trying to backup it won't see
the harddrive ( which has been formatted since)

--
vecnah
vecnah's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=24910

http://forums.techarena.in