Help with ... \\name\c: is not available. ACCESS DENIED !!

=?Utf-8?B?R2Vycnk=?=

Help with ... \\name\c: is not available. ACCESS DENIED !!
After only a few days of wrestling and a little cussing … Vista is up and
running at our house with just one issue left to resolve ... our home network
has not worked since the Vista installations. Well .. it's kinda worked (all
the internet connections work, and we can share printers,) but we can't share
files or folders ...
I can see the network and the other computers, but attempting to open any
other PC's drive or folders (expect for the public ones) fails everytime.
I've set no passwords on any machines, and I've set maximum sharing
permissions. But still, whenever I try to access a file or folder on a
networked PC, I encounter this message --> "\\name\c: is not available. You
might not have permission to use this resource. Contact the administrator of
this server to find out if you have access permissions. Access is
denied.

I AM the "administrator of that server" ... but no matter how much I talk to
my self (user to administrator) I can't figure out how to allow the sharing
to occur.

Any suggestions?

PTravel

Re: Help with ... \\name\c: is not available. ACCESS DENIED !!
"Gerry" <Gerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After only a few days of wrestling and a little cussing … Vista is up and
> running at our house with just one issue left to resolve ... our home
> network
> has not worked since the Vista installations. Well .. it's kinda worked
> (all
> the internet connections work, and we can share printers,) but we can't
> share
> files or folders ...
> I can see the network and the other computers, but attempting to open any
> other PC's drive or folders (expect for the public ones) fails everytime.
> I've set no passwords on any machines, and I've set maximum sharing
> permissions. But still, whenever I try to access a file or folder on a
> networked PC, I encounter this message --> "\\name\c: is not available.
> You
> might not have permission to use this resource. Contact the administrator
> of
> this server to find out if you have access permissions. Access
> is
> denied.
>
> I AM the "administrator of that server" ... but no matter how much I talk
> my self (user to administrator) I can't figure out how to allow the
> sharing
> to occur.
>
> Any suggestions?

I'm hardly a networking pro, but on my system at home (7 computers on the
lan), the XP machines have to have Remote User added to the account of
whatever user is trying to share the computer's resources, even if that
account is already set to Administrator level access. I have no idea why
this is, but it cures the problem you've described, at least for me.

Malke

Gerry wrote:
> After only a few days of wrestling and a little cussing … Vista is up and
> running at our house with just one issue left to resolve ... our home network
> has not worked since the Vista installations. Well .. it's kinda worked (all
> the internet connections work, and we can share printers,) but we can't share
> files or folders ...
> I can see the network and the other computers, but attempting to open any
> other PC's drive or folders (expect for the public ones) fails everytime.
> I've set no passwords on any machines, and I've set maximum sharing
> permissions. But still, whenever I try to access a file or folder on a
> networked PC, I encounter this message --> "\\name\c: is not available. You
> might not have permission to use this resource. Contact the administrator of
> this server to find out if you have access permissions. Access is
> denied.
>
> I AM the "administrator of that server" ... but no matter how much I talk to
> my self (user to administrator) I can't figure out how to allow the sharing
> to occur.
>
> Any suggestions?

Gerry - See my answer and Koze's answer to this question in your other
thread in the other newsgroup to which you posted. Next time please
crosspost instead of multiposting.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
=?Utf-8?B?Um95IE1heW8=?=

RE: Help with ... \\name\c: is not available. ACCESS DENIED !!
Malke hi,
I cannot find Gerry's other post to read the solution you gave him. Please
repeat it for me as I have a very similar problem.
Thanks, Roy Mayo.
--
Correct me if Im wrong, but hasnt the fine line between sanity and madness
gotten finer?

"Gerry" wrote:

> After only a few days of wrestling and a little cussing … Vista is up and
> running at our house with just one issue left to resolve ... our home network
> has not worked since the Vista installations. Well .. it's kinda worked (all
> the internet connections work, and we can share printers,) but we can't share
> files or folders ...
> I can see the network and the other computers, but attempting to open any
> other PC's drive or folders (expect for the public ones) fails everytime.
> I've set no passwords on any machines, and I've set maximum sharing
> permissions. But still, whenever I try to access a file or folder on a
> networked PC, I encounter this message --> "\\name\c: is not available. You
> might not have permission to use this resource. Contact the administrator of
> this server to find out if you have access permissions. Access is
> denied.
>
> I AM the "administrator of that server" ... but no matter how much I talk to
> my self (user to administrator) I can't figure out how to allow the sharing
> to occur.
>
> Any suggestions?

Malke

Roy Mayo wrote:
> Malke hi,
> I cannot find Gerry's other post to read the solution you gave him. Please
> repeat it for me as I have a very similar problem.
> Thanks, Roy Mayo.

Go to Google Groups Advanced Search and constrain the search to
microsoft.public.windows.vista.*, add the names of Gerry and Malke to
your search parameters, keep the date to this past week. You'll find it.
I don't remember where that post is and I'd have to do the identical
thing so you might as well be the one searching instead of me. More
direct that way.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
=?Utf-8?B?R2Vycnk=?=

Re: Help with ... \\name\c: is not available. ACCESS DENIED !!
Sorry for the multi posting ... I couldn't find the other one either ... I
thought somehow it didn't get posted... that's why I posted it again...

"Malke" wrote:

> Roy Mayo wrote:
> > Malke hi,
> > I cannot find Gerry's other post to read the solution you gave him. Please
> > repeat it for me as I have a very similar problem.
> > Thanks, Roy Mayo.

> Go to Google Groups Advanced Search and constrain the search to
> microsoft.public.windows.vista.*, add the names of Gerry and Malke to
> your search parameters, keep the date to this past week. You'll find it.
> I don't remember where that post is and I'd have to do the identical
> thing so you might as well be the one searching instead of me. More
> direct that way.
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

=?Utf-8?B?Um95IE1heW8=?=

Re: Help with ... \\name\c: is not available. ACCESS DENIED !!
Malke, hello again,

Did as you said in Google, but could not find the relevant post.

Sorry for ineptitude, but could you simply repeat in this thread?

I read one of the threads which googled up, and changed the User Account
names and passwords and work groups to be identical on both computers, but it
did not get me where i want to go: namely to gain access to a shared folder
on Vista2 from Vista1.

Many thanks
Roy Mayo.