Dial-up how to show connection activity?

Oppie

Dial-up how to show connection activity?
On my old Win98 box, modem status was shown in the systray where the icon
indicated both inbound and outbound activity. There seems to be a static
icon now with Vista. Right clicking on the icon in the tray does give an
option to animate but seems to do nothing. Did I miss something?

Yes, I know that using dial-up on Vista is like using an outboard motor on a
cabin cruiser but it will have to do for a while longer...

Thanks -Oppie-

Aanand Ramachandran

Re: Dial-up how to show connection activity?
Oppie,
In Windows Vista, the icon in the system tray to indicate the
connectivity status of a dialup, broadband or VPN connection has been
removed. It is deprecated. There is only one static icon in the system tray
now for general network connectivity. THis icon shows the connectivity
status of all connections that are active. A blue bubble indicates that you
have connectivity. If you move your mouse over this icon you will see the
list of networks that you are connected to.
Hope this helps

thanks
Aanand

survival

"Oppie" wrote:

> On my old Win98 box, modem status was shown in the systray where the icon
> indicated both inbound and outbound activity. There seems to be a static
> icon now with Vista. Right clicking on the icon in the tray does give an
> option to animate but seems to do nothing. Did I miss something?
>
> Yes, I know that using dial-up on Vista is like using an outboard motor on a
> cabin cruiser but it will have to do for a while longer...
>
> Thanks -Oppie-

survival

"Oppie" wrote:

> On my old Win98 box, modem status was shown in the systray where the icon
> indicated both inbound and outbound activity. There seems to be a static
> icon now with Vista. Right clicking on the icon in the tray does give an
> option to animate but seems to do nothing. Did I miss something?
>
> Yes, I know that using dial-up on Vista is like using an outboard motor on a
> cabin cruiser but it will have to do for a while longer...
>
> Thanks -Oppie-
>
> I am so disappointed in the Vista Program. Will Microsoft ever fix this problem with the dial up icon? Or are we stuck with a dialup icon that just sets there like the worthless icon it is? Even windows 98 had a dialup icon that flashed showing the inbound and outbound activity. I really miss that. What about it Microsoft? Are we just stuck with this worthless dialup icon or are you going to give us an update that gives us back a great dialup icon like the one that was in Windows 98? Please let me know. I just purchased a new HP Presario computer with Vista and I feel like I have a worse program than my windows 98 on my old computer.

TomLives2000

Re: Dial-up how to show connection activity?
Nope mine works very very good. It is users that have their head up their
ass. Right click icon in sys tray and select turn on activity animation.
"survival" <survival@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "Oppie" wrote:
>
>> On my old Win98 box, modem status was shown in the systray where the icon
>> indicated both inbound and outbound activity. There seems to be a static
>> icon now with Vista. Right clicking on the icon in the tray does give an
>> option to animate but seems to do nothing. Did I miss something?
>>
>> Yes, I know that using dial-up on Vista is like using an outboard motor
>> on a
>> cabin cruiser but it will have to do for a while longer...
>>
>> Thanks -Oppie-
>>
>> I am so disappointed in the Vista Program. Will Microsoft ever fix this
>> problem with the dial up icon? Or are we stuck with a dialup icon that
>> just sets there like the worthless icon it is? Even windows 98 had a
>> dialup icon that flashed showing the inbound and outbound activity. I
>> really miss that. What about it Microsoft? Are we just stuck with this
>> worthless dialup icon or are you going to give us an update that gives us
>> back a great dialup icon like the one that was in Windows 98? Please let
>> me know. I just purchased a new HP Presario computer with Vista and I
>> feel like I have a worse program than my windows 98 on my old computer.

survival

Re: Dial-up how to show connection activity?
Tomlives 2000 your arrogant reply supposes too much. From the first I did
right click the icon in the system tray and I did select "turn on activity
animation" and it doesn't work. Perhaps if you would get YOUR head out of
YOUR ass you would see that I am not the only one reporting that the "turn
on activity animation" option does not work. I have tried it over and over
and it just doesn't work. Perhaps yours "works very very good" but mine does
not work at all no matter how many times I try to turn the activity
animation on. Now that we have your arrogant reply behind us, Microsoft is
there any way to fix this? Please let me know. Thank you.