Using a Tablet notebook to wirelessly control a desktop PC

jamo1

Using a Tablet notebook to wirelessly control a desktop PC
I have a Vista PC with a large screen LCD screen attached to it. What I want
to do is use a Vista Tablet to be able to control the large screen so can
present documents on it such as PowerPoint slide shows and be able to use the
functions of the tablet i.e. using the stylus pen to add notes on top of the
current document shown on the large screen. Basically use the large screen as
a external monitor but have it connect through a wireless network. Does
anyone know if this is possible and if so what do I need to get it working.

Thanks.
Hans-Georg Michna

Re: Using a Tablet notebook to wirelessly control a desktop PC
On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 05:25:00 -0800, jamo1 wrote:

>I have a Vista PC with a large screen LCD screen attached to it. What I want
>to do is use a Vista Tablet to be able to control the large screen so can
>present documents on it such as PowerPoint slide shows and be able to use the
>functions of the tablet i.e. using the stylus pen to add notes on top of the
>current document shown on the large screen. Basically use the large screen as
>a external monitor but have it connect through a wireless network. Does
>anyone know if this is possible and if so what do I need to get it working.

You cannot do this easily with the Remote Desktop function built
into Windows, because of the different sizes of the screens. You
may be able to do it, with some difficulties, when you use a
remote control program that allows you to watch the big screen
on your tablet PC in reduced size or with scroll bars.

I'm not sure whether VNC can do it, but you could find out. Here
is a comparison table of different remote desktop programs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...sktop_software

Hans-Georg
--
No mail, please.
Jeffrey Randow

Re: Using a Tablet notebook to wirelessly control a desktop PC
MaxiVista MAY do what is requested...
http://www.maxivista.com/

I haven't used it, but it seems to barely meet the requirements...
---
Jeffrey Randow
jeffreycentex@gmail.com
Windows Networking MVP 2001-2006
http://www.networkblog.net

On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 19:17:18 +0100, Hans-Georg Michna
<hans-georgNoEmailPlease@michna.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 05:25:00 -0800, jamo1 wrote:
>
>>I have a Vista PC with a large screen LCD screen attached to it. What I want
>>to do is use a Vista Tablet to be able to control the large screen so can
>>present documents on it such as PowerPoint slide shows and be able to use the
>>functions of the tablet i.e. using the stylus pen to add notes on top of the
>>current document shown on the large screen. Basically use the large screen as
>>a external monitor but have it connect through a wireless network. Does
>>anyone know if this is possible and if so what do I need to get it working.

>You cannot do this easily with the Remote Desktop function built
>into Windows, because of the different sizes of the screens. You
>may be able to do it, with some difficulties, when you use a
>remote control program that allows you to watch the big screen
>on your tablet PC in reduced size or with scroll bars.
>
>I'm not sure whether VNC can do it, but you could find out. Here
>is a comparison table of different remote desktop programs:
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...sktop_software
>
>Hans-Georg

jamo1

Re: Using a Tablet notebook to wirelessly control a desktop PC
Thanks for the advice, this will work on our wired network, but not on our
wireless network as I think it has some security blocking remote connection
programs probably to stop people hacking, what I am wondering is it possible
to run this software if somehow I use the Tablet to connect wirelessly direct
to the PC using wireless adapters and use the desktop PC as a gateway is this
possible.

"Jeffrey Randow" wrote:

> MaxiVista MAY do what is requested...
> http://www.maxivista.com/
>
> I haven't used it, but it seems to barely meet the requirements...
> ---
> Jeffrey Randow
> jeffreycentex@gmail.com
> Windows Networking MVP 2001-2006
> http://www.networkblog.net
>
> On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 19:17:18 +0100, Hans-Georg Michna
> <hans-georgNoEmailPlease@michna.com> wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 05:25:00 -0800, jamo1 wrote:
> >
> >>I have a Vista PC with a large screen LCD screen attached to it. What I want
> >>to do is use a Vista Tablet to be able to control the large screen so can
> >>present documents on it such as PowerPoint slide shows and be able to use the
> >>functions of the tablet i.e. using the stylus pen to add notes on top of the
> >>current document shown on the large screen. Basically use the large screen as
> >>a external monitor but have it connect through a wireless network. Does
> >>anyone know if this is possible and if so what do I need to get it working.

> >You cannot do this easily with the Remote Desktop function built
> >into Windows, because of the different sizes of the screens. You
> >may be able to do it, with some difficulties, when you use a
> >remote control program that allows you to watch the big screen
> >on your tablet PC in reduced size or with scroll bars.
> >
> >I'm not sure whether VNC can do it, but you could find out. Here
> >is a comparison table of different remote desktop programs:
> >
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...sktop_software
> >
> >Hans-Georg

Jeffrey Randow

Re: Using a Tablet notebook to wirelessly control a desktop PC
It works wirelessly, or at least it does with one of our clients who
uses it...
---
Jeffrey Randow
jeffreycentex@gmail.com