File sharing oddity

=?Utf-8?B?Qm9i?=

File sharing oddity
I have two Dell desktops with XP sp2 and One Dell laptop just upgraded to
Vista. The problem is file sharing.

Desktop 1 and the laptop/Vista can see and share each others files with no
problem on any drive letters.

Desktop 2 can see D: on the laptop and share its files. It sees C: but
cannot access the folders/files on C:. The laptop/Vista can see and access
all files and drive letters on Desktop 2.

To put it another way, my wife's computer can see and share C on the laptop,
I cannot. The laptop can see and share both desktops.

Both desktops are configured the same. I'm Using windows firewall which has
been disabled at times for testing.

I'm not sure if this is an XP or Vista problem. Any ideas out there.
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: File sharing oddity
Double check the permission in C drive. or use icacls command.

How to: check permissions using Vista icacls command
http://www.chicagotech.net/forum1.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Bob" <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8E200287-996E-4DC9-B12E-4C6915D127E6@microsoft.com...
I have two Dell desktops with XP sp2 and One Dell laptop just upgraded to
Vista. The problem is file sharing.

Desktop 1 and the laptop/Vista can see and share each others files with no
problem on any drive letters.

Desktop 2 can see D: on the laptop and share its files. It sees C: but
cannot access the folders/files on C:. The laptop/Vista can see and access
all files and drive letters on Desktop 2.

To put it another way, my wife's computer can see and share C on the laptop,
I cannot. The laptop can see and share both desktops.

Both desktops are configured the same. I'm Using windows firewall which has
been disabled at times for testing.

I'm not sure if this is an XP or Vista problem. Any ideas out there.
=?Utf-8?B?Qm9i?=

Re: File sharing oddity
The permissions for C are "Everyone" with full control.

I tried the icacls command for C . My results were as follows: "The network
name cannot be found. Successfully processed 0 files, failed processing 1
file"

When I ran the icacls for d, the results were as expected. It sucessfully
processed 1 file and showed the results.

How do I fix the problem with C ?

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> Double check the permission in C drive. or use icacls command.
>
> How to: check permissions using Vista icacls command
> http://www.chicagotech.net/forum1.htm
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "Bob" <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8E200287-996E-4DC9-B12E-4C6915D127E6@microsoft.com...
> I have two Dell desktops with XP sp2 and One Dell laptop just upgraded to
> Vista. The problem is file sharing.
>
> Desktop 1 and the laptop/Vista can see and share each others files with no
> problem on any drive letters.
>
> Desktop 2 can see D: on the laptop and share its files. It sees C: but
> cannot access the folders/files on C:. The laptop/Vista can see and access
> all files and drive letters on Desktop 2.
>
> To put it another way, my wife's computer can see and share C on the laptop,
> I cannot. The laptop can see and share both desktops.
>
> Both desktops are configured the same. I'm Using windows firewall which has
> been disabled at times for testing.
>
> I'm not sure if this is an XP or Vista problem. Any ideas out there

=?Utf-8?B?Qm9i?=

Re: File sharing oddity
Found the problem and fixed it. Almost too embarassing to admit. Hadn't
checked the security tab on C drive to enable the all user's permissions.
DUH!

"Bob" wrote:

> The permissions for C are "Everyone" with full control.
>
> I tried the icacls command for C . My results were as follows: "The network
> name cannot be found. Successfully processed 0 files, failed processing 1
> file"
>
> When I ran the icacls for d, the results were as expected. It sucessfully
> processed 1 file and showed the results.
>
> How do I fix the problem with C ?
>
> "Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:
>
> > Double check the permission in C drive. or use icacls command.
> >
> > How to: check permissions using Vista icacls command
> > http://www.chicagotech.net/forum1.htm
> >
> > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> > How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> > "Bob" <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8E200287-996E-4DC9-B12E-4C6915D127E6@microsoft.com...
> > I have two Dell desktops with XP sp2 and One Dell laptop just upgraded to
> > Vista. The problem is file sharing.
> >
> > Desktop 1 and the laptop/Vista can see and share each others files with no
> > problem on any drive letters.
> >
> > Desktop 2 can see D: on the laptop and share its files. It sees C: but
> > cannot access the folders/files on C:. The laptop/Vista can see and access
> > all files and drive letters on Desktop 2.
> >
> > To put it another way, my wife's computer can see and share C on the laptop,
> > I cannot. The laptop can see and share both desktops.
> >
> > Both desktops are configured the same. I'm Using windows firewall which has
> > been disabled at times for testing.
> >
> > I'm not sure if this is an XP or Vista problem. Any ideas out there

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: File sharing oddity
Thank you for the feedback. Forgetting to assign permission in Secure Tab is the common issue. When enabling sharing a root drive, by default, it assigns every one read only. So, the common issues sharing are 1) you may be able to see it but access. 2) you may be able to open it but modify.

We may have different options to fix it.

1. Enable guest account that is not recommended for the security reason.
2. Assign everyone full rights in the Security tab that is no secure too.
3. Create the identical username in all home network computers.
4. More secure way is assigning users necessary rights to the shared folders based on their needs.

Good luck!

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE