Local access only - NO internet acces on Vista Ultimate

=?Utf-8?B?cnVyYWxkZXY=?=

Local access only - NO internet acces on Vista Ultimate
I have just got Vista Ultimate and I have it set up for a public network
(tried private as well), I can communicate with all my local PC's but
internet access is blocked for some reason.

Can anyone suggest what might be causing it?

Thanks
Gordon
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Local access only - NO internet acces on Vista Ultimate
Can you ping a public IP? If yes, can you ping yahoo.com? This troubleshooting may help,

How to troubleshoot internet access issuesNone of the networking computers can access the Internet. ... Related Topics. Can’t access the Internet via USB after enabling NIC for network ...
http://www.howtonetworking.com/Inter...netaccess0.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"ruraldev" <ruraldev@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FCEDEDF8-C13D-4382-9AA0-982EF2DD5124@microsoft.com...
I have just got Vista Ultimate and I have it set up for a public network
(tried private as well), I can communicate with all my local PC's but
internet access is blocked for some reason.

Can anyone suggest what might be causing it?

Thanks
Gordon
DR scott

RE: Local access only - NO internet acces on Vista Ultimate
I have the exact same problem. I have disabled ipv6 turned off the firewall
rebooted etc and windows vista continues to only allow "local access only" on
various networks both wired and wireless and on other networks it works fine.
Did you find a solution for this?

"ruraldev" wrote:

> I have just got Vista Ultimate and I have it set up for a public network
> (tried private as well), I can communicate with all my local PC's but
> internet access is blocked for some reason.
>
> Can anyone suggest what might be causing it?
>
> Thanks
> Gordon

ruraldev

RE: Local access only - NO internet acces on Vista Ultimate
I wouldn't say I found a solution to the problem, however it just seemed to
sort itself out without doing anything.

I have decided in future to stick to XP pro.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Gordon

"DR scott" wrote:

> I have the exact same problem. I have disabled ipv6 turned off the firewall
> rebooted etc and windows vista continues to only allow "local access only" on
> various networks both wired and wireless and on other networks it works fine.
> Did you find a solution for this?
>
> "ruraldev" wrote:
>
> > I have just got Vista Ultimate and I have it set up for a public network
> > (tried private as well), I can communicate with all my local PC's but
> > internet access is blocked for some reason.
> >
> > Can anyone suggest what might be causing it?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Gordon

sfcsurface

Re: Local access only - NO internet acces on Vista Ultimate

It took me 4 hours to resolve this problem with my sprint broadband
card. The problem turned out to be with the workgroup setting in the
system settings. When I installed vista I chose a workgroup. So, when
I tried to connect to the internet it was looking for that workgroup
(resulting in 'local only' status). So to resolve the problem I went to
my system settings and removed the workgroup and chose that this
computer was for home use and not office network. When I rebooted the
system I immediately noticed the internet icon in the windows toolbar.

Hope this helps all of you who have had this same problem.

Good Luck.

--
sfcsurface
sfcsurface's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/sfcsurface.htm