Remote Desktop Vista---X---->Vista woes.

Paul Bubbaski

Remote Desktop Vista---X---->Vista woes.
Not long ago, on a LAN not far away... I had successful XPpro -->XPpro
remote desktop connection... ( home --> office )

The two locations are remote to one another, connected via the Internet.
Both locations are small LANs supported by Linksys routers and high speed
Internet connection.

My first change was to install a new Vista Ultimate box at home. With
tremendous ease and success I had a successful Vista Ultimate ---> XPpro
connection.... Hooray for our side!

My next change was to install a new Vista Ultimate box at the office. This
is where my plans fell the way-side.
Vista Ultimate ----X----> Vista Ultimate. I enabled remote desktop at the
office using the second radio button option.- "Allow connections from
computers running any version of Remote Desktop." I changed the port
forwarding on the office router to the Vista Ultimate box and attempted to
connect from home. When I could not connect, the first thing I tried was to
turn off the Vista firewall on the office computer. No luck. I am told by
Vista that my credentials are bad. I am trying to log into the office box
using my log in name and password that is an admin account at the office. I
am at a total loss as to what could possibly be wrong. Any suggestions would
be tremendously appreciated.

Paul

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Remote Desktop Vista---X---->Vista woes.
Can you telnet port 3389? Note: by default telnet is disable.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Paul Bubbaski" <NoDirectReply@cox.net> wrote in message news:%239sM11OXHHA.896@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
[...]

Robert, than you for the kind reply. I am not sure how to Telnet 3389. That
is the port that I forward from the office router to the office IP that I am
desirous of connecting to from home. I have disabled the firewall on the
Vista box during my tests.

I have to set it at the work router, then drive 40 minutes to test it...
Makes it rough... I am using static IP's at work and when I forward that
port to the XP Pro box, it works like a champ. When I forward it to the
Vista box, I can't seem to get on. I have a suspicion that I am getting to
the Vista box, but it's not accepting my credentials. I think that is where
my problem lies. I have the name and password I log onto the computer at
work but they don't seem to work remotely.

I am now at home for the weekend and trying to get my XP boxes at home to
print on a printer "shared" by the Vista box at home and am also having
problems. I hope this is related to a more sophisticated security system in
Vista, not poor planning or programming. At this point I would trade pretty
aero for easy networking.

Paul

http://www.ChicagoTech.net
http://www.HowToNetworking.com

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Remote Desktop Vista---X---->Vista woes.
from the VPN client do: telnet VPNSERVERIP 3389.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE