Sharing a drive

James

Sharing a drive
I've got an external drive on a desktop running Vista that I would like to
access wirelessly through my laptop which runs XP. I've been working on it in
my spare time for months now and have reached my wits end. I'll try and put
in as many details as possible in the first posting to see how far we can
get...
The wirless network is running through a Netgear router. Both computers
connect to the internet flawlessly. The workgroup spelling is set up exactly
the same on both computers. File sharing is turned on and the network is set
as "private." The username and password are exactly the same on both
computers. I am able to see the laptop from the desktop when displaying the
network map but that's where it stops. I cannot access any files stored on
the laptop from the desktop and vice versa. When I try to map the desktop's
external drive from the laptop, it cannot be found. The drive itself is set
to be shared, and I'm using the exact address shown in the drive's
information window (e.g. //desktop/external). I'd be happy to provide any
further details anyone might need. Any help at all would be GREATLY
appreciated.
Kerry Brown

Re: Sharing a drive
It may be a typo but the correct way to specify a share would be
\\desktop\external

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

"James" <James@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've got an external drive on a desktop running Vista that I would like to
> access wirelessly through my laptop which runs XP. I've been working on it
> in
> my spare time for months now and have reached my wits end. I'll try and
> put
> in as many details as possible in the first posting to see how far we can
> get...
> The wirless network is running through a Netgear router. Both computers
> connect to the internet flawlessly. The workgroup spelling is set up
> exactly
> the same on both computers. File sharing is turned on and the network is
> set
> as "private." The username and password are exactly the same on both
> computers. I am able to see the laptop from the desktop when displaying
> the
> network map but that's where it stops. I cannot access any files stored on
> the laptop from the desktop and vice versa. When I try to map the
> desktop's
> external drive from the laptop, it cannot be found. The drive itself is
> set
> to be shared, and I'm using the exact address shown in the drive's
> information window (e.g. //desktop/external). I'd be happy to provide any
> further details anyone might need. Any help at all would be GREATLY
> appreciated.

James

Re: Sharing a drive
It was a type - I've got it set up correctly but thanks for keeping an eye out