Vista shared folder sessions limited reached soon after reboot

JimZ

Vista shared folder sessions limited reached soon after reboot
I start experiencing the problem after running Vista (Home Premium) smoothly
for about a year. Now the computer refuses to allow any network shares to be
accessed because the shared folder session limit (10 sessions) is reached
shortly after reboot. In the Computer management tool I can see the list of
sessions but when I attempted to close them, I got an error saying:

Error 2: the system cannot file the file specified

I've been searching online but nothing turned up. Any suggestions are
appreciated!

Thanks!
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista shared folder sessions limited reached soon after reboot
We had a post like this one before. I can't find it any more. I believe you
need to modify the regedit.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"JimZ" <JimZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I start experiencing the problem after running Vista (Home Premium)
>smoothly
> for about a year. Now the computer refuses to allow any network shares to
> be
> accessed because the shared folder session limit (10 sessions) is reached
> shortly after reboot. In the Computer management tool I can see the list
> of
> sessions but when I attempted to close them, I got an error saying:
>
> Error 2: the system cannot file the file specified
>
> I've been searching online but nothing turned up. Any suggestions are
> appreciated!
>
> Thanks!

JimZ

Re: Vista shared folder sessions limited reached soon after reboot
Thanks for the reply Bob. Luckily I didn't have to modify regedit in my
case. I figured out the problem shortly after the posting, which was in the
shared printer settings. The client machine had a shared printer configured
to point to the server machine, which did not have the printer connected. I
believe the client machine keeps attempting to connect to the non-existing
printer and caused all the zombie sessions.

Happy New Year everyone!