vista laptop unable to connect to wireless network

Paul

vista laptop unable to connect to wireless network
Hi

My son has a laptop for uni, he is currently home and unable to connect to
my wireless network through the router. It was OK when I bought the laptop
because I set it up then and it worked OK. It was then on WEP security only.
I changed it to WPA security and added a new key. The key has been typed in
correctly into the laptop but it will not connect. When I investigated the
properties for the network connection, it was showing an 8 digit key, but
the new key is 21 characters. If I type it directly into the field in the
properties box and click OK it appears to accept it but does not "hold" it,
ie if I go back the 8 digits are back.

It is a samsung r70 laptop with vista home premium, a linksys WAG54GS router
with my main pc ethernet connected.

Any help appreciated

Paul

--
Paul at preeve dot plus dot com

Barb Bowman

Re: vista laptop unable to connect to wireless network
first, need the text output of

ipconfig /all

from a command prompt when the computer is in a non connect
condition

second, need to know what hardware version of the router and what
firmware (look for an update on the Linksys site)

third, what wireless card and driver in this laptop? is there a
newer version?

I'd suggest trying a simple *WPA2* key like

1234testing

to rule out a few other things.

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
Paul

Re: vista laptop unable to connect to wireless network
Thanks

Christmas intervened: I then tried connecting with my work laptop and
couldn't also (although I had last week). Eventually traced the problem to
zonealarm firewall blocking access, although the whole range for the router
is allowed. Turned firewall off, connected OK then back on again and (touch
wood) can still connect - from both computers

Paul

--
"Barb Bowman" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
news13vm3p3jflf00fs7bg2daqusimiqhhk6r@4ax.com...
> first, need the text output of
>
> ipconfig /all
>
> from a command prompt when the computer is in a non connect
> condition
>
> second, need to know what hardware version of the router and what
> firmware (look for an update on the Linksys site)
>
> third, what wireless card and driver in this laptop? is there a
> newer version?
>
> I'd suggest trying a simple *WPA2* key like
>
> 1234testing
>
> to rule out a few other things.
>
> On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 22:02:05 -0000, "Paul"
> <paul@preeve.plus.dot.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi
>>
>>My son has a laptop for uni, he is currently home and unable to connect to
>>my wireless network through the router. It was OK when I bought the laptop
>>because I set it up then and it worked OK. It was then on WEP security
>>only.
>>I changed it to WPA security and added a new key. The key has been typed
>>in
>>correctly into the laptop but it will not connect. When I investigated the
>>properties for the network connection, it was showing an 8 digit key, but
>>the new key is 21 characters. If I type it directly into the field in the
>>properties box and click OK it appears to accept it but does not "hold"
>>it,
>>ie if I go back the 8 digits are back.
>>
>>It is a samsung r70 laptop with vista home premium, a linksys WAG54GS
>>router
>>with my main pc ethernet connected.
>>
>>Any help appreciated
>>
>>Paul

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP

Barb Bowman

Re: vista laptop unable to connect to wireless network
and hopefully you are using WPA2 or at least WPA?

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 21:09:52 -0000, "Paul"

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP