Sharing Problem Freeze Vista machine in AD

folderann

Sharing Problem Freeze Vista machine in AD
I have a small home network -running Active Directory. I have several
XP Machines and one Visa Business64.

The problem occurs only on the Vista machine, and only when I am
trying to access shares on that Vista machine. I can access shares on
the XP machines, or the DC (Windows 2003 Server).

I enter Network. If I click on the Computer Name (or expand) to
display the shares, it displays them. But when I try to expland the
share itself, I get an hourglass and the system freezes. Or if I
click on any of the shared resources, the same thing (hourglass -
freeze) happens. I cannot click start or open task manager or
anything. Occasionally the Network Explorer window looks like it is
tile-ing, creating numerous tiled instances. I have to press the
reset button

I've checked the local as well as doman controller Event logs and
there are no errors or info entries at the time before the freeze.

I've run Defender and done Anti-virus Scans. Neither turns up
anything.

I've checked share and ntfs permission. They're OK and, even if they
weren't, it wouln't cause a freeze.

I'm an SA for a large organization, running AD with only XP machines,
and I'm embarrased to say, I've run out of ideas.

I hope someone can help me figure this out.
Jeffrey Randow

Re: Sharing Problem Freeze Vista machine in AD
Do they ever come up?

Also, depending on your network structure, you may want to disable
Vista's autotuning and RSS, which helps when talking to XP and W2K3
(particularly R2) machines:

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
netsh int tcp set global rss=disabled

(then reboot).

Also, have you tried mapping a network drive to a share (either
through the GUI or through NET USE at a command prompt)?

---
Jeffrey Randow
jeffreycentex@gmail.com
Windows Networking MVP 2001-2006
http://www.networkblog.net

On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 12:14:07 -0500, folderann <tantanna@tat.com>
wrote:

>I have a small home network -running Active Directory. I have several
>XP Machines and one Visa Business64.
>
>The problem occurs only on the Vista machine, and only when I am
>trying to access shares on that Vista machine. I can access shares on
>the XP machines, or the DC (Windows 2003 Server).
>
>I enter Network. If I click on the Computer Name (or expand) to
>display the shares, it displays them. But when I try to expland the
>share itself, I get an hourglass and the system freezes. Or if I
>click on any of the shared resources, the same thing (hourglass -
>freeze) happens. I cannot click start or open task manager or
>anything. Occasionally the Network Explorer window looks like it is
>tile-ing, creating numerous tiled instances. I have to press the
>reset button
>
>I've checked the local as well as doman controller Event logs and
>there are no errors or info entries at the time before the freeze.
>
>I've run Defender and done Anti-virus Scans. Neither turns up
>anything.
>
>I've checked share and ntfs permission. They're OK and, even if they
>weren't, it wouln't cause a freeze.
>
>I'm an SA for a large organization, running AD with only XP machines,
>and I'm embarrased to say, I've run out of ideas.
>
>I hope someone can help me figure this out.

folderann

Re: Sharing Problem Freeze Vista machine in AD
1. I only have this problem accessing a share on the Vista machine
FROM the SAME Vista machine through Network. Of course I can access
through the folder itself without a problem.

2. I have not problem accessing network shares located on other
machines from the Vista machine.

3. I can map to the resource on the Vista machine (GUI& CMD Prompt)
FROM the SAME Vista machine. The net use is a success, but I get the
hourglass if I try to access - and onto the reset button.

4. Disabling autotuning and globall rss didn't help.

5. If I unshare and recreate the share I all it fine until I reboot
and I get the same unwanted behavior.

6. I downgraded NTFS and Share perms to everyone - that has no
effect.

Thanks for your help. I rapidly considering a re-install of XP. I
get aggravated enough at work and I don't have the time and
inclination to fight it at home.