Connected to Wireless Network but not Internet

BarryJBrooks

Connected to Wireless Network but not Internet
Hi,

I have a Home network set up with the router ethernet cabled into a windows
XP PC. I've added a couple of laptops wirelessly to the network (that use XP)
easily and never had a problem. I've just bought an HP G6032EA laptop that
runs VISTA and although it connects to the wireless network it won't connect
to the internet. The error I get is "There may be a problem with your Domain
Name Server (DNS) configuration". The security is WPA enabled if that's
relevant.

I've searched all yesterday and can't find a solution and as this laptop is
a Christmas present for my daughter I'd be really grateful if someone could
help me with an answer.

Thanks so much

Mick Murphy

RE: Connected to Wireless Network but not Internet
Are you connecting the new laptop by going to start>Connect To> selecting
your Network> then putting in your WPA Key?

"BarryJBrooks" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a Home network set up with the router ethernet cabled into a windows
> XP PC. I've added a couple of laptops wirelessly to the network (that use XP)
> easily and never had a problem. I've just bought an HP G6032EA laptop that
> runs VISTA and although it connects to the wireless network it won't connect
> to the internet. The error I get is "There may be a problem with your Domain
> Name Server (DNS) configuration". The security is WPA enabled if that's
> relevant.
>
> I've searched all yesterday and can't find a solution and as this laptop is
> a Christmas present for my daughter I'd be really grateful if someone could
> help me with an answer.
>
> Thanks so much

BarryJBrooks

RE: Connected to Wireless Network but not Internet
Yes - that's how I connected.

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> Are you connecting the new laptop by going to start>Connect To> selecting
> your Network> then putting in your WPA Key?
>
> "BarryJBrooks" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a Home network set up with the router ethernet cabled into a windows
> > XP PC. I've added a couple of laptops wirelessly to the network (that use XP)
> > easily and never had a problem. I've just bought an HP G6032EA laptop that
> > runs VISTA and although it connects to the wireless network it won't connect
> > to the internet. The error I get is "There may be a problem with your Domain
> > Name Server (DNS) configuration". The security is WPA enabled if that's
> > relevant.
> >
> > I've searched all yesterday and can't find a solution and as this laptop is
> > a Christmas present for my daughter I'd be really grateful if someone could
> > help me with an answer.
> >
> > Thanks so much

Mick Murphy

RE: Connected to Wireless Network but not Internet
Barry, did you set up your Network with the XPs to auto obtain the IP
addresses and DNS?
You find out by right-clicking on the network connection in XP>Properties>
click on TCP/IP> then properties.
If it is set to auto find IP and DNS, try seeing if there is a vista
firmware update for your router.
If the XP computer are set to manually have an IP address, you will have to
do the same with the vista computer

"BarryJBrooks" wrote:

> Yes - that's how I connected.
>
> "Mick Murphy" wrote:
>
> > Are you connecting the new laptop by going to start>Connect To> selecting
> > your Network> then putting in your WPA Key?
> >
> > "BarryJBrooks" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have a Home network set up with the router ethernet cabled into a windows
> > > XP PC. I've added a couple of laptops wirelessly to the network (that use XP)
> > > easily and never had a problem. I've just bought an HP G6032EA laptop that
> > > runs VISTA and although it connects to the wireless network it won't connect
> > > to the internet. The error I get is "There may be a problem with your Domain
> > > Name Server (DNS) configuration". The security is WPA enabled if that's
> > > relevant.
> > >
> > > I've searched all yesterday and can't find a solution and as this laptop is
> > > a Christmas present for my daughter I'd be really grateful if someone could
> > > help me with an answer.
> > >
> > > Thanks so much

BarryJBrooks

RE: Connected to Wireless Network but not Internet
The XPs auto obtained the IP addresses from the Network and I assume the
Vista computer did the same - I didn't have to manually enter one on the
Vista machine or the XPs.