mutiple IP addresses for wired network

Don W

mutiple IP addresses for wired network
Hello,
When at work I have a specific IP address and DNS servers. When at home, my
router assigns one via DHCP. In XP, there use to be an option under
propteries of the TCP/IP protocol of the ethernet card to have an alternate
configuration. This seems to have disappeared in Vista. Now I need to blank
all the settings when at home and then re-enter them when at work. Is there a
way to bring back multiple profiles for wired ethernet?
Thanks,
Don
Malke

Re: mutiple IP addresses for wired network
Don W wrote:
> Hello,
> When at work I have a specific IP address and DNS servers. When at home, my
> router assigns one via DHCP. In XP, there use to be an option under
> propteries of the TCP/IP protocol of the ethernet card to have an alternate
> configuration. This seems to have disappeared in Vista. Now I need to blank
> all the settings when at home and then re-enter them when at work. Is there a
> way to bring back multiple profiles for wired ethernet?
> Thanks,
> Don

The Alternate Configuration is still there in Vista.

You can enable the Alternate Configuration feature in Vista using the
following steps:

1. Click Start, right click Network and click Properties.
2. Select Manage network connections.
3. Right click your network connection and click Properties
4. From the list of network components, select Internet Protocol
(TCP/IP) and click the Properties button.
5. From the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties window select the
Alternate Configuration tab.

If you don't see the Alternate Configuration tab, set the IP for DHCP
(automatic IP/DNS assignment) first. The Alternate Configuration tab
will then appear.

If you don't like waiting for the first setting to time out when it
doesn't find a DHCP server at work (at which point it will roll over to
the static IP/DNS), then you can use a third-party multiple network
manager. Here are a few; make sure they work with Vista:

http://www.netswitcher.com - NetSwitcher
http://www.globesoft.com/mnm_home.html - MultiNetwork Manager
http://www.mobilenetswitch.com - Mobile Net Switch

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Don W

Re: mutiple IP addresses for wired network
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately those options are not available on
my system (Vista Home Premium if that matters). The alternate configuration
tab does not show up after performing those steps. Maybe it will come back
after SP1 or is only availble in certain versions of Vista.

"Malke" wrote:

> Don W wrote:
> > Hello,
> > When at work I have a specific IP address and DNS servers. When at home, my
> > router assigns one via DHCP. In XP, there use to be an option under
> > propteries of the TCP/IP protocol of the ethernet card to have an alternate
> > configuration. This seems to have disappeared in Vista. Now I need to blank
> > all the settings when at home and then re-enter them when at work. Is there a
> > way to bring back multiple profiles for wired ethernet?
> > Thanks,
> > Don

> The Alternate Configuration is still there in Vista.
>
> You can enable the Alternate Configuration feature in Vista using the
> following steps:
>
> 1. Click Start, right click Network and click Properties.
> 2. Select Manage network connections.
> 3. Right click your network connection and click Properties
> 4. From the list of network components, select Internet Protocol
> (TCP/IP) and click the Properties button.
> 5. From the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties window select the
> Alternate Configuration tab.
>
> If you don't see the Alternate Configuration tab, set the IP for DHCP
> (automatic IP/DNS assignment) first. The Alternate Configuration tab
> will then appear.
>
> If you don't like waiting for the first setting to time out when it
> doesn't find a DHCP server at work (at which point it will roll over to
> the static IP/DNS), then you can use a third-party multiple network
> manager. Here are a few; make sure they work with Vista:
>
> http://www.netswitcher.com - NetSwitcher
> http://www.globesoft.com/mnm_home.html - MultiNetwork Manager
> http://www.mobilenetswitch.com - Mobile Net Switch
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Don W

Re: mutiple IP addresses for wired network
Actually, it appeared after rebooting my computer. Weird that it required a
reboot though. As the KB articles indicate that it should appear after
setting IP address to automatic on the main config tab.