Vista and XP networking problem

alwayzsports7

Vista and XP networking problem

I recently bought an HP laptop running windows vista ultimate. I had a
desktop running windows xp sp2. I have the xp computer wired to a
router (Linksys wrt54g) to the internet. I could easily connect my
laptop to the router wirelessly and wired. I want to be able to share
files between my laptop and desktop. I have visited most threads on
vista and xp networking and still have no success. I have both
computers on the same workgroup, the vista computer can see the xp (i
have already installed LLTD), and I can access music files from the
vista computer on a shared folder on the xp computer. For some odd
reason, the xp computer can't see the vista computer on my network but
it can see my router. However, the xp computer can ping the vista
computer but the vista computer times out when it pings the xp. The xp
computer shows up in my network map and my connected devices along with
a media device for that computer. When I click on the device to access
shared files on it it says it cannot access the device error
0x80070035, but I can play music files through the media device. I am
only using windows firewall on the vista computer but I have Norton
Internet Security on the xp. I have allowed all computers in my home
range to be on the trusted list so this shouldn't be blocking sharing.
I also want to share my printer connected to the xp but that isn't
visible to the vista computer either. Any help would be greatly
appreciated. I have already viewed numerous links to Microsoft and
other sites on networking xp and vista computers. Also, does anyone
know where I can get the IPv6 files for XP because they won't install.
It keeps saying an extended error occured.

--
alwayzsports7
alwayzsports7's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=37995

http://forums.techarena.in

Mick Murphy

RE: Vista and XP networking problem

How to give Permissions are there, too.

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

Media sharing:ON

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

from an XP computer.

TCP/IPv4 is 32bit, TCP/IPv6 is 128bit.

TCP/IPv6 is not for the XP computer

"alwayzsports7" wrote:

> I recently bought an HP laptop running windows vista ultimate. I had a
> desktop running windows xp sp2. I have the xp computer wired to a
> router (Linksys wrt54g) to the internet. I could easily connect my
> laptop to the router wirelessly and wired. I want to be able to share
> files between my laptop and desktop. I have visited most threads on
> vista and xp networking and still have no success. I have both
> computers on the same workgroup, the vista computer can see the xp (i
> have already installed LLTD), and I can access music files from the
> vista computer on a shared folder on the xp computer. For some odd
> reason, the xp computer can't see the vista computer on my network but
> it can see my router. However, the xp computer can ping the vista
> computer but the vista computer times out when it pings the xp. The xp
> computer shows up in my network map and my connected devices along with
> a media device for that computer. When I click on the device to access
> shared files on it it says it cannot access the device error
> 0x80070035, but I can play music files through the media device. I am
> only using windows firewall on the vista computer but I have Norton
> Internet Security on the xp. I have allowed all computers in my home
> range to be on the trusted list so this shouldn't be blocking sharing.
> I also want to share my printer connected to the xp but that isn't
> visible to the vista computer either. Any help would be greatly
> appreciated. I have already viewed numerous links to Microsoft and
> other sites on networking xp and vista computers. Also, does anyone
> know where I can get the IPv6 files for XP because they won't install.
> It keeps saying an extended error occured.
>

> --
> alwayzsports7
> alwayzsports7's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=37995
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=876781
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

alwayzsports7

Re: Vista and XP networking problem

I have gone crazy trying to fix this. I have uninstalled Norton's
firewall since it was giving me trouble on my XP desktop but I still
have it on my laptop. I am running Zone Alarms free firewall on my
desktop currently since Windows will not allow me to turn on the
Windows firewall for some reason. I would much prefer to use the
windows firewall if anyone can resolve that problem. I have gotten it
to the state that both computers are visible to each other, the desktop
can access shared files on the laptop, but the laptop cannot access
shared files on the desktop. It can play my shared media files through
a media device but cannot actually access the files. I think it is a
problem with the firewall configuration, but I don't know what else to
try. I have put the computers and all my local network IP's
(192.168.1.0-192.168.1.255) on the trusted list for Zone Alarm. The
free version will not let me allow specific ports so this is the best I
could come up with. Both computers can ping each other and they both
appear in the SoftNetworks network scanner and the Angry IP scanner.
I'm thinking maybe I missed an update for Windows or something has gone
corrupt. Any help accessing my desktop shared files/printer or to be
able to turn Windows firewall back on would be greatly appreciated.

--
alwayzsports7
alwayzsports7's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=37995
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=876781

http://forums.techarena.in

Hans-Georg Michna

On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 07:50:56 +0530, alwayzsports7 wrote:

>I have gone crazy trying to fix this. I have uninstalled Norton's
>firewall since it was giving me trouble on my XP desktop but I still
>have it on my laptop. I am running Zone Alarms free firewall on my
>desktop currently since Windows will not allow me to turn on the
>Windows firewall for some reason. I would much prefer to use the
>windows firewall if anyone can resolve that problem.

I would give high priority to solving this problem, because a
defective firewall is always cause for concern.

If you are behind a NAT router then you can risk running your
computer without active firewall for a limited time. Whenever
you don't need a network connection, just pull the network
cable, while you work on the problem.

I would uninstall all third-party firewalls, then test the
Windows firewall again. If it still can't be enabled and you
cannot discern and remove the cause, you could try a repair
installation of Windows, as described in
http://winhlp.com/node/17#Repair_installation .

Hans-Georg
--
No mail, please.