Will Vista networking be fixed?

InsectNet

Will Vista networking be fixed?
When will a patch come out that fixes the problems with Windows Vista
networking? Also, I am having difficulty finding posts from users who have
had success with the suggestions by the experts here.

In 3 months of owning a Vista Home Premium system I have not yet been able
to successfully share files between the Vista and XP boxes. Don't ask. I've
tried that already. It doesn't work.
Phisherman

Re: Will Vista networking be fixed?
On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 16:30:00 -0800, InsectNet
<InsectNet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>When will a patch come out that fixes the problems with Windows Vista
>networking? Also, I am having difficulty finding posts from users who have
>had success with the suggestions by the experts here.
>
>In 3 months of owning a Vista Home Premium system I have not yet been able
>to successfully share files between the Vista and XP boxes. Don't ask. I've
>tried that already. It doesn't work.

It took a little voodoo work--very different than XP, a new learning
experience, but I got mine working properly.

Mick Murphy

RE: Will Vista networking be fixed?

How to give Permissions are there, too.

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

from an XP computer.

"InsectNet" wrote:

> When will a patch come out that fixes the problems with Windows Vista
> networking? Also, I am having difficulty finding posts from users who have
> had success with the suggestions by the experts here.
>
> In 3 months of owning a Vista Home Premium system I have not yet been able
> to successfully share files between the Vista and XP boxes. Don't ask. I've
> tried that already. It doesn't work.

Paul Knudsen

Re: Will Vista networking be fixed?

>When will a patch come out that fixes the problems with Windows Vista
>networking? Also, I am having difficulty finding posts from users who have
>had success with the suggestions by the experts here.
>
>In 3 months of owning a Vista Home Premium system I have not yet been able
>to successfully share files between the Vista and XP boxes. Don't ask. I've
>tried that already. It doesn't work.

Get Network Magic. Solved it for me. There's a free trial.
Tom Allen

"InsectNet" <InsectNet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When will a patch come out that fixes the problems with Windows Vista
> networking? Also, I am having difficulty finding posts from users who
> have
> had success with the suggestions by the experts here.
>
> In 3 months of owning a Vista Home Premium system I have not yet been
> able
> to successfully share files between the Vista and XP boxes. Don't ask.
> I've
> tried that already. It doesn't work.

Certainly puzzling and irksome but the fact that mine works between
Vista , XP , W98 (now retired) and a NAS for shares ( mapped network
drives, paths in shortcuts, Explorer ), printer, backups and Internet
would indicate to me that these are configuration/hardware problems,
although I've never been able to discern the essential difference
bertween my setup and any of the situations described by those having
difficulties, other than my use of structured wiring.

Tom

George B

"Tom Allen" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

> "InsectNet" <InsectNet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When will a patch come out that fixes the problems with Windows Vista
> > networking? Also, I am having difficulty finding posts from users who
> > have
> > had success with the suggestions by the experts here.
> >
> > In 3 months of owning a Vista Home Premium system I have not yet been
> > able
> > to successfully share files between the Vista and XP boxes. Don't ask.
> > I've
> > tried that already. It doesn't work.

> Certainly puzzling and irksome but the fact that mine works between
> Vista , XP , W98 (now retired) and a NAS for shares ( mapped network
> drives, paths in shortcuts, Explorer ), printer, backups and Internet
> would indicate to me that these are configuration/hardware problems,
> although I've never been able to discern the essential difference
> bertween my setup and any of the situations described by those having
> difficulties, other than my use of structured wiring.
>
> Tom

Tom,
Could you give me details of your W98 - Vista networking? I have been
trying for months to network Vista Home Premium with W98SE. All computers
can see each other, and networking setup seems to go successfully. The
Vista computer can access each W98 computer perfectly; it can examine
directories and can read and write files with no problems; it can even print
to a W98 printer. However, there are problems going the other way: W98 can
examine Vista's directories, but has difficulty reading and writing files.
Most times, the file transfer never completes; however, I can routinely
transfer small files (a few KB) very slowly (it takes about 45 seconds). If
W98 tries to print to a Vista printer, it hangs the Vista system. I would
appreciate hearing if your W98 networking was more successful than this.

George B.

Tom Allen

Re: Will Vista networking be fixed?

"George B" <ghbennett@hotmail.com> wrote in message

snippit

> Tom,
> Could you give me details of your W98 - Vista networking? I have
> been
> trying for months to network Vista Home Premium with W98SE. All
> computers
> can see each other, and networking setup seems to go successfully.
> The
> Vista computer can access each W98 computer perfectly; it can examine
> directories and can read and write files with no problems; it can even
> print
> to a W98 printer. However, there are problems going the other way:
> W98 can
> examine Vista's directories, but has difficulty reading and writing
> files.
> Most times, the file transfer never completes; however, I can
> routinely
> transfer small files (a few KB) very slowly (it takes about 45
> seconds). If
> W98 tries to print to a Vista printer, it hangs the Vista system. I
> would
> appreciate hearing if your W98 networking was more successful than
> this.
>
> George B.

George,

I think the answer is going to be 'no' as the W98 (non-SE) machine has
long since gone to the scrap yard. The only setting I can recall was to
'not connect until required' rather than on startup.

I only needed to rescue of few bits from the W98 PC as my XP machine was
doing the real work by then but the transfers were pushes from W98 and
proceeded OK as I recall. I'm sure I flogged down through 'Network' in
the Explorer tree to get to the Vista Public folder rather than setting
up our customary methods of mapped drives, or desktop shortcuts to
Explorer with appropriate switches and paths, to folders on the target
machine.

Some current Vista settings are -
Networking & sharing
Net discovery = custom ( i.e firewall job)
File/Public/Printer sharings = On
Password protection = Off ( but matching usernames and passwords are
set anyway)

LAN
LLTD mapper and responder used
TCP/IP has Netbios over TCP/IP ticked

Actually using One Care now but the redundant Windows Firewall's
settings still show as including
Core networking
File & printer sharing
Network discovery

A Dell pre-installed McAfee firewall on the Vista PC did cause very slow
copies, but only of files *pushed from* Vista to the XP and NAS, until
it was actually un-installed.

My HP printer had over time been connected to the W98 PC then to the XP
PC before the Vista machine and the printer driver on W98, for those
historic reasons, was the original proprietary HP one. I don't remember
adding additional drivers on Vista and now have only 'x86 Type 3 User
mode' showing in the extra drivers under 'Sharing'.
We have a genealogy program which often stalled printing with an error
in an HP module when printing from W98 to XP (but has been fine from XP
to Vista), extra driver for W98 on XP never fixed that.

I doubt I've told you anything new and the W98 side is already a bit
hazy I'm afraid.

Tom

George B

Re: Will Vista networking be fixed?
Tom,

I appreciate your taking the time to respond. Your information helps to
fill in the big picture, but I'm afraid I may have to pray for a miracle
(maybe Vista SP1 ? !) to get this working perfectly. Thanks again.

George

Tom Allen

> Tom,
>
> I appreciate your taking the time to respond. Your information helps
> fill in the big picture, but I'm afraid I may have to pray for a
> miracle
> (maybe Vista SP1 ? !) to get this working perfectly. Thanks again.
>
> George

It's no trouble, good luck.

Tom