Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Still can't consistently network between XP/Vista based PCs

microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-22-2007
JGH
 

Posts: n/a
Still can't consistently network between XP/Vista based PCs
I done everything conceivable to enable my two PCs, one with XP the other
with Vista, to access each other over my home network. The workgroup name is
the same on both machines, access is set to Everyone on the Vista machine,
(however, when trying to share specific drives, folders, etc. I can't add the
users from the XP machine location because I can't see the location on
Vista), the network is marked Private in Vista, in cmd I pinged both machines
from each other and got good responses, I changed the registry setting on the
XP machine to "0" for anonymous. I'm running out of ideas. Is this an Ipv4
vs Ipv6 issue?
--
Out
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-22-2007
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Still can't consistently network between XP/Vista based PCs
What you may need to do is creating the same username on both computers.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
http://www.HowToNetworking.com


"JGH" <JGH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:FE22DCB7-9E25-4039-9F7D-AEAA4AB8DC3B@microsoft.com...
>I done everything conceivable to enable my two PCs, one with XP the other
> with Vista, to access each other over my home network. The workgroup name
> is
> the same on both machines, access is set to Everyone on the Vista machine,
> (however, when trying to share specific drives, folders, etc. I can't add
> the
> users from the XP machine location because I can't see the location on
> Vista), the network is marked Private in Vista, in cmd I pinged both
> machines
> from each other and got good responses, I changed the registry setting on
> the
> XP machine to "0" for anonymous. I'm running out of ideas. Is this an
> Ipv4
> vs Ipv6 issue?
> --
> Out


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-22-2007
JGH
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Still can't consistently network between XP/Vista based PCs
I have the same user names; however, does it matter if the passwords are
different?
--
Out


"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> What you may need to do is creating the same username on both computers.
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>
>
> "JGH" <JGH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:FE22DCB7-9E25-4039-9F7D-AEAA4AB8DC3B@microsoft.com...
> >I done everything conceivable to enable my two PCs, one with XP the other
> > with Vista, to access each other over my home network. The workgroup name
> > is
> > the same on both machines, access is set to Everyone on the Vista machine,
> > (however, when trying to share specific drives, folders, etc. I can't add
> > the
> > users from the XP machine location because I can't see the location on
> > Vista), the network is marked Private in Vista, in cmd I pinged both
> > machines
> > from each other and got good responses, I changed the registry setting on
> > the
> > XP machine to "0" for anonymous. I'm running out of ideas. Is this an
> > Ipv4
> > vs Ipv6 issue?
> > --
> > Out

>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-22-2007
Malke
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Still can't consistently network between XP/Vista based PCs
JGH wrote:
> I have the same user names; however, does it matter if the passwords are
> different?


Yes, of course. If you have JGH-1 with password 1234 on computer 1 and
JGH-1 with password 5678 on computer 2, this will not be considered the
same user and authentication will fail. See general networking
troubleshooting help below.

Here are general network troubleshooting steps. Not everything may be
applicable to your situation, so just take the bits that are. It may
look daunting, but if you follow the steps at the links and suggestions
below systematically and calmly, you will have no difficulty in setting
up your sharing.

Excellent, thorough, yet easy to understand article about File/Printer
Sharing in Vista. Includes details about sharing printers as well as
files and folders:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727037.aspx

For XP, start by running the Network Setup Wizard on all machines (see
caveat in Item A below).

Problems sharing files between computers on a network are generally
caused by 1) a misconfigured firewall; or 2) inadvertently running two
firewalls such as the built-in Windows Firewall and a third-party
firewall; and/or 3) not having identical user accounts and passwords on
all Workgroup machines; 4) trying to create shares where the operating
system does not permit it.

For XP and Windows 2003 Server, MVP Hans-Georg Michna has an excellent
small network troubleshooter. It may also be useful with Vista.

http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

Here are some general networking tips for home/small networks:

A. Configure firewalls on all machines to allow the Local Area Network
(LAN) traffic as trusted. With Windows Firewall, this means allowing
File/Printer Sharing on the Exceptions tab. Normally running the Network
Setup Wizard on XP will take care of this for those machines.The only
"gotcha" is that this will turn on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you
aren't running a third-party firewall or have an antivirus with
"Internet Worm Protection" (like Norton 2006/07) which acts as a
firewall, then you're fine. With third-party firewalls, I usually
configure the LAN allowance with an IP range. Ex. would be
192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you would substitute your correct
subnet. Do not run more than one firewall.

B. For ease or organization, put all computers in the same Workgroup.
This is done from the System applet in Control Panel, Computer Name tab.

C. Create matching user accounts and passwords on all machines. You do
not need to be logged into the same account on all machines and the
passwords assigned to each user account can be different; the
accounts/passwords just need to exist and match on all machines. If you
wish a machine to boot directly to the Desktop (into one particular
user's account) for convenience, you can do this. The instructions at
this link work for both XP and Vista:

Configure Windows to Automatically Login (MVP Ramesh) -
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

D. If one or more of the computers is XP Pro or Media Center:

1. If you need Pro's ability to set fine-grained permissions, turn off
Simple File Sharing (Folder Options>View tab) and create identical user
accounts/passwords on all computers.

2. If you don't care about using Pro's advanced features, leave the
Simple File Sharing enabled. Simple File Sharing means that Guest
(network) is enabled. This means that anyone without a user account on
the target system can use its resources. This is a security hole but
only you can decide if it matters in your situation.

E. Create shares as desired. XP Home does not permit sharing of users'
home directories (My Documents) or Program Files, but you can share
folders inside those directories. A better choice is to simply use the
Shared Documents folder. See the first link above for details about
Vista sharing.


Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12-22-2007
Mick Murphy
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Still can't consistently network between XP/Vista based PCs
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727037.aspx

Have a read of the above link re Vista File and Printer Sharing.
How to give Permissions are there, too.

1st thing to do is make sure that the Workgroup Name of ALL the computers is
the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

Network Discovery: ON (So it can see the other computers)

Network set to Private (Public is for hotspots, airports, etc)

File Sharing: ON

Public Folder Sharing: ON (Vista’s Public Folder is the same as XP’s Shared
Docs)

Password Protected: OFF (unless you want to set up identical usernames and
passwords on ALL computers in your Network) If you have it ON, you will be
asked for a username and password when you try to access a Vista computer
from an XP computer.

Also, run the XP’s Home Network File and Printer sharing Wizard.


"JGH" wrote:

> I done everything conceivable to enable my two PCs, one with XP the other
> with Vista, to access each other over my home network. The workgroup name is
> the same on both machines, access is set to Everyone on the Vista machine,
> (however, when trying to share specific drives, folders, etc. I can't add the
> users from the XP machine location because I can't see the location on
> Vista), the network is marked Private in Vista, in cmd I pinged both machines
> from each other and got good responses, I changed the registry setting on the
> XP machine to "0" for anonymous. I'm running out of ideas. Is this an Ipv4
> vs Ipv6 issue?
> --
> Out

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Article ID: 929853 You cannot access network resources and domain name resolution is not successful when you establish a VPN connection to the corporate network from a Windows Vista-based computer KBArticles English 0 10-22-2007 20:00
Attempt to Network Vista Home on Domain Based Network (W2K -Server Himanshu microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 1 09-25-2007 19:21
YouTube consistently crashes Vista sanjuanmiguel microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 6 08-05-2007 23:03
Why is it so difficult to network Vista and XP PCs? Pierre KOHLER microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 26 07-23-2007 16:05
Vista Home Network issues with XP PCs Chad G microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 5 05-07-2007 08:48




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 13:24.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120