Not connected to network?

Mick

Not connected to network?
Hi all,

Hope someone can help me with an irritating problem. I have a PC running
vista home premium which is wired to a Belkin ADSL modem/wireless router.
Have two further PC's making up the network via wireless connections, (one
vista home premium, the other XP Pro). Thanks to helpful posts and threads in
this community I have progressively developed the network such that all
machines can see each other, share files and access the internet. So
everything seems to work fine but there is one irritation.
Despite the fact that I can see other machines, share files and access
internet the Network and Sharing centre on the wired machine says I am not
connected to any networks. How can this be?
Similarly the network map on this machine indicates a problem with the link
from the PC to the gateway and the link from the gateway to the internet.
"Click to diagnose" returns no problem found on either link yet the
connections remain displayed with red crosses. Surely these should show as
healthy?
Thanks in advance for any help or guidance.

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Not connected to network?
What do you mean "Despite the fact that I can see other machines, share
files and access
internet the Network and Sharing centre on the wired machine says I am not
connected to any networks" Do you mean you get access is denied when you try
to access others?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Mick" <Mick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Hope someone can help me with an irritating problem. I have a PC running
> vista home premium which is wired to a Belkin ADSL modem/wireless router.
> Have two further PC's making up the network via wireless connections, (one
> vista home premium, the other XP Pro). Thanks to helpful posts and threads
> in
> this community I have progressively developed the network such that all
> machines can see each other, share files and access the internet. So
> everything seems to work fine but there is one irritation.
> Despite the fact that I can see other machines, share files and access
> internet the Network and Sharing centre on the wired machine says I am not
> connected to any networks. How can this be?
> Similarly the network map on this machine indicates a problem with the
> link
> from the PC to the gateway and the link from the gateway to the internet.
> "Click to diagnose" returns no problem found on either link yet the
> connections remain displayed with red crosses. Surely these should show as
> healthy?
> Thanks in advance for any help or guidance.

Mick

Re: Not connected to network?
Hi Robert and thanks for prompt response.

No access is not denied. On the contrary, there seems to be absolutely no
problem with access to any of the other machines. Everything seems to work
fine.
It's just that if I go to the Network and Sharing Centre page it says "Not
connected" in bold (next to little PC icon) and underneath it says "you are
currently not connected to any networks". It's the strangest thing because
then if I go to "view computers and devices" in the task bar on the LHS of
the very same page I can clearly see, and access, the other machines on the
network.

Regards
Mick

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> What do you mean "Despite the fact that I can see other machines, share
> files and access
> internet the Network and Sharing centre on the wired machine says I am not
> connected to any networks" Do you mean you get access is denied when you try
> to access others?
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "Mick" <Mick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Hope someone can help me with an irritating problem. I have a PC running
> > vista home premium which is wired to a Belkin ADSL modem/wireless router.
> > Have two further PC's making up the network via wireless connections, (one
> > vista home premium, the other XP Pro). Thanks to helpful posts and threads
> > in
> > this community I have progressively developed the network such that all
> > machines can see each other, share files and access the internet. So
> > everything seems to work fine but there is one irritation.
> > Despite the fact that I can see other machines, share files and access
> > internet the Network and Sharing centre on the wired machine says I am not
> > connected to any networks. How can this be?
> > Similarly the network map on this machine indicates a problem with the
> > link
> > from the PC to the gateway and the link from the gateway to the internet.
> > "Click to diagnose" returns no problem found on either link yet the
> > connections remain displayed with red crosses. Surely these should show as
> > healthy?
> > Thanks in advance for any help or guidance.

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Not connected to network?
Interesting. Please post back if you figure it out.

--

> Hi Robert and thanks for prompt response.
>
> No access is not denied. On the contrary, there seems to be absolutely no
> problem with access to any of the other machines. Everything seems to work
> fine.
> It's just that if I go to the Network and Sharing Centre page it says "Not
> connected" in bold (next to little PC icon) and underneath it says "you
> are
> currently not connected to any networks". It's the strangest thing because
> then if I go to "view computers and devices" in the task bar on the LHS of
> the very same page I can clearly see, and access, the other machines on
> the
> network.
>
> Regards
> Mick
>
> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> What do you mean "Despite the fact that I can see other machines, share
>> files and access
>> internet the Network and Sharing centre on the wired machine says I am
>> not
>> connected to any networks" Do you mean you get access is denied when you
>> try
>> to access others?
>>
>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>>

>> "Mick" <Mick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > Hope someone can help me with an irritating problem. I have a PC
>> > running
>> > vista home premium which is wired to a Belkin ADSL modem/wireless
>> > router.
>> > Have two further PC's making up the network via wireless connections,
>> > (one
>> > vista home premium, the other XP Pro). Thanks to helpful posts and
>> > threads
>> > in
>> > this community I have progressively developed the network such that all
>> > machines can see each other, share files and access the internet. So
>> > everything seems to work fine but there is one irritation.
>> > Despite the fact that I can see other machines, share files and access
>> > internet the Network and Sharing centre on the wired machine says I am
>> > not
>> > connected to any networks. How can this be?
>> > Similarly the network map on this machine indicates a problem with the
>> > link
>> > from the PC to the gateway and the link from the gateway to the
>> > internet.
>> > "Click to diagnose" returns no problem found on either link yet the
>> > connections remain displayed with red crosses. Surely these should show
>> > as
>> > healthy?
>> > Thanks in advance for any help or guidance.

liambrown89@googlemail.com

Re: Not connected to network?
HAHA, its a killer problem, installed AIM or Viewpoint or other IM
lately? haha.

This is a problem many people are having, you should check this out:

http://forums.microsoft.com/technet/...tf=0&pageid=23

Grape

Re: Not connected to network?
I have the same problem and I have not installed AIM. In fact, my machine is
a clean install except for Mozilla.

"liambrown89@googlemail.com" wrote:

> HAHA, its a killer problem, installed AIM or Viewpoint or other IM
> lately? haha.
>

> This is a problem many people are having, you should check this out:
>

> http://forums.microsoft.com/technet/...tf=0&pageid=23

Chris H

Re: Not connected to network?
I have the same problem as well. My internet works fine, except I cannot see
my other machines on the network anymore because it says I'm not connected to
a network when in fact I really am. If anyone knows of a fix please email m
at crhouse@gmail.com

"Grape" wrote:

> I have the same problem and I have not installed AIM. In fact, my machine is
> a clean install except for Mozilla.
>
> "liambrown89@googlemail.com" wrote:
>
> > HAHA, its a killer problem, installed AIM or Viewpoint or other IM
> > lately? haha.
> >

> > This is a problem many people are having, you should check this out:
> >

> > http://forums.microsoft.com/technet/...tf=0&pageid=23

nschleif

Re: Not connected to network?

I had this annoying problem, I would place the mouse pointer over the
network icon and it would tell me i am not connected to a network when
actually i was and everything seemed to be working fine. I tried
everything to bring back the network identification to the icon and my
network and sharing page.
Here is how i finally fixed the problem after 2 days of sleeplessness.
I went to the network icon on the desktop (classic mode) (I am running
vista business prem), I clicked on network and sharing center icon, the
then clicked on the customize button just below the world globe in order
to customize network settings, then I clicked on merge or delete network
locations at the bottom left side of the set network location page. I
noticed a lot of duplicate locations. all said not in use and unmanaged.
I deleted them all, every single one of them. I then went back and used
the create a network connection function to reconnect to my network, I
entered the SSID of the network as if it was a new computer. When it
connected, walahh! I got my connection back.

--
nschleif
nschleif's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/142127.htm

http://forums.techarena.in