No access to a shared drive on another computer - Computer inacces

Vladimir

No access to a shared drive on another computer - Computer inacces
Hi folks,

merry xmas to everyone

I have a small wireless network with a vista premium pc and an older laptop
with shared drives - that are normally seen on a different xp machine or
linux stations. On Vista, I can find the laptop as it is in network,
however, i can not "explore" it, view its shared drives. The help adviced to
flush dns cache as i did on both machines to be sure, but i still cannot
access the small laptop - vista is OTOH accessible from it.
Has anyone experienced it ?
I am happy for any suggestions.
Thanks,
Vladimir
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: No access to a shared drive on another computer - Computer inacces
I would check any security software first. or these links may help. Please
post back with the result.

Solved: Vista can't access XPSolved: Vista can't access XP .... I'm still
however not able to access the XP machine from Vista > regardless of the
firewall settings. ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...opic.php?t=283 - Similar pages

Vista cannot access others
Vista can't access other computers. Can't browser another XP computer
.... Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:11 pm Post subject: Vista: can't see XP
.. ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistaaccess1.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Vladimir" <Vladimir@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi folks,
>
> merry xmas to everyone
>
> I have a small wireless network with a vista premium pc and an older
> laptop
> with shared drives - that are normally seen on a different xp machine or
> linux stations. On Vista, I can find the laptop as it is in network,
> however, i can not "explore" it, view its shared drives. The help adviced
> flush dns cache as i did on both machines to be sure, but i still cannot
> access the small laptop - vista is OTOH accessible from it.
> Has anyone experienced it ?
> I am happy for any suggestions.
> Thanks,
> Vladimir

Wildcat

Re: No access to a shared drive on another computer - Computer inacces
I found it worked best to set up the network before any security was
installed to reduce the configuration problems. Then when I installed the
firewall it allowed the network. No more local or limited access.

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" <noreply@chicagotech.net> wrote in message
>I would check any security software first. or these links may help. Please
>post back with the result.
>
> Solved: Vista can't access XPSolved: Vista can't access XP .... I'm still
> however not able to access the XP machine from Vista > regardless of the
> firewall settings. ...
> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...opic.php?t=283 - Similar pages
>
> Vista cannot access others
> Vista can't access other computers. Can't browser another XP computer
> ... Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:11 pm Post subject: Vista: can't see
> XP . ...
> www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistaaccess1.htm
>

> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "Vladimir" <Vladimir@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> merry xmas to everyone
>>
>> I have a small wireless network with a vista premium pc and an older
>> laptop
>> with shared drives - that are normally seen on a different xp machine or
>> linux stations. On Vista, I can find the laptop as it is in network,
>> however, i can not "explore" it, view its shared drives. The help adviced
>> flush dns cache as i did on both machines to be sure, but i still cannot
>> access the small laptop - vista is OTOH accessible from it.
>> Has anyone experienced it ?
>> I am happy for any suggestions.
>> Thanks,
>> Vladimir

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: No access to a shared drive on another computer - Computer inacces
Thank you for the update.

--

"Wildcat" <rwhelan@shaw.ca> wrote in message
news6D9B2AC-73F3-4DF8-9982-091C28AB3CF2@microsoft.com...
>I found it worked best to set up the network before any security was
>installed to reduce the configuration problems. Then when I installed the
>firewall it allowed the network. No more local or limited access.
>
> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" <noreply@chicagotech.net> wrote in message
>>I would check any security software first. or these links may help. Please
>>post back with the result.
>>
>> Solved: Vista can't access XPSolved: Vista can't access XP .... I'm still
>> however not able to access the XP machine from Vista > regardless of the
>> firewall settings. ...
>> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...opic.php?t=283 - Similar pages
>>
>> Vista cannot access others
>> Vista can't access other computers. Can't browser another XP
>> computer ... Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:11 pm Post subject: Vista:
>> can't see XP . ...
>> www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistaaccess1.htm
>>

>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>>

>> "Vladimir" <Vladimir@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi folks,
>>>
>>> merry xmas to everyone
>>>
>>> I have a small wireless network with a vista premium pc and an older
>>> laptop
>>> with shared drives - that are normally seen on a different xp machine or
>>> linux stations. On Vista, I can find the laptop as it is in network,
>>> however, i can not "explore" it, view its shared drives. The help
>>> adviced to
>>> flush dns cache as i did on both machines to be sure, but i still cannot
>>> access the small laptop - vista is OTOH accessible from it.
>>> Has anyone experienced it ?
>>> I am happy for any suggestions.
>>> Thanks,
>>> Vladimir