Vista machines can't communicate

Ken Peck

Vista machines can't communicate
I have a desktop running Vista Home Premium that is connected to a Ethernet
cable router. A cable modem is connected to the router, and the desktop can
access the internet this way.

There is also an access point connected to the router. I have a laptop also
running Vista Home Premium that can access the network and internet
wirelessly through the access point, router and cable modem.

But the two Vista machines cannot see each other. File sharing is turned on
for both machines. And there is a shared printer on the desktop. But the
desktop cannot access the laptop; and the laptop cannot access the desktop.

To make things even stranger, there is an old XP Pro machine connected to
the router. The laptop and the XP Pro machine can share files. But neither
can access the Vista desktop.

The desktop can ping the router and the access point, but not the laptop or
the XP machine.

Any ideas as to how to get the desktop to communicate with the laptop and
other computers on the network?

--
..

Mick Murphy