Any good websites

Will_S

Any good websites
I want to network a Xp machine ( with printer connected to it ) with my new
Vista Ultimate machine. I tried previously when the XP machine had Vista
Home on it but had troubles getting the XP notebook sharing anything.

To be honest I really only want to access the printer but the rest would be
nice as well ( saving using external drives )

Any good web sites out there that lays it all out ? I remember with XP there
were a couple of bloody good sites that showed you everything . Hopefully
someone knows a good Vista/XP one ?

Will_S

Re: Any good websites

"Will_S" <willsjunk@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
news:476c7cf3$0$13262$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.a u...
>I want to network a Xp machine ( with printer connected to it ) with my new
>Vista Ultimate machine. I tried previously when the XP machine had Vista
>Home on it but had troubles getting the XP notebook sharing anything.
>
> To be honest I really only want to access the printer but the rest would
> be nice as well ( saving using external drives )
>
> Any good web sites out there that lays it all out ? I remember with XP
> there were a couple of bloody good sites that showed you everything .
> Hopefully someone knows a good Vista/XP one ?

a quick update.....have printer working and I can access 99% of stuff on XP
but Vista is not been very nice

Mick Murphy

RE: Any good websites
Merry Xmas; your website!

How to give Permissions are there, too.

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

from an XP computer.

"Will_S" wrote:

> I want to network a Xp machine ( with printer connected to it ) with my new
> Vista Ultimate machine. I tried previously when the XP machine had Vista
> Home on it but had troubles getting the XP notebook sharing anything.
>
> To be honest I really only want to access the printer but the rest would be
> nice as well ( saving using external drives )
>
> Any good web sites out there that lays it all out ? I remember with XP there
> were a couple of bloody good sites that showed you everything . Hopefully
> someone knows a good Vista/XP one ?

Paul Knudsen

Re: Any good websites
On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 13:54:53 +1100, "Will_S"
<willsjunk@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

>I want to network a Xp machine ( with printer connected to it ) with my new
>Vista Ultimate machine.

Get Network Magic. Worked for me.
Will_S

Re: Any good websites

> Merry Xmas; your website!

> How to give Permissions are there, too.
>
> 1st thing to do is make sure that the Workgroup Name of ALL the computers
> is
> the SAME.
>
> In Vista Network and Sharing:

> File Sharing: ON
>
> Public Folder Sharing: ON (Vista’s Public Folder is the same as XP’s
> Shared
> Docs)

> passwords on ALL computers in your Network) If you have it ON, you will be
> asked for a username and password when you try to access a Vista computer
> from an XP computer.
>
> Also, run the XP’s Home Network File and Printer sharing Wizard.
>

> "Will_S" wrote:
>
>> I want to network a Xp machine ( with printer connected to it ) with my
>> new
>> Vista Ultimate machine. I tried previously when the XP machine had Vista
>> Home on it but had troubles getting the XP notebook sharing anything.
>>
>> To be honest I really only want to access the printer but the rest would
>> be
>> nice as well ( saving using external drives )
>>
>> Any good web sites out there that lays it all out ? I remember with XP
>> there
>> were a couple of bloody good sites that showed you everything . Hopefully
>> someone knows a good Vista/XP one ?

Network is running if not perfect but good enough.

Thanks for your help