Cannot ping my own IP- general network sharing problem w/ xp

Sean K

Cannot ping my own IP- general network sharing problem w/ xp
I am trying to set up vista basic home for the first time to connect to
Windows XP machine. I cannot ping myself or see share contents between
machines. I can connect to the internet on all machines.

From vista machine I can:
Ping 127.0.0.1
cannot ping the ip address I gave my own card (192.168.1.x)
I could not see XP machine on network (until I installed LLTD for xp on xp
machine)
I can ping xp machine IP

On vista machine, network discovery is on, file sharing is one, it is a
private network and password protected sharing is off. I also tested with
firewall off.

From XP machine:
I can see vista machine listed (but not shared info)
Cannot connect or select shared printer (although I can see it)

I have reinstalled network card. Reinstalled LLTD mapper and responder.
Both machines are connected to same switch. Both are set with same subnet
mask, gateway, and workgroup name

I am connected to a linksys switch which is in turn connected to a linksys
router to internet. The older router is not on the linksys list for
non-vista compatible. My ip addresses are both static local 192.168.1.x and
gateway is router IP. The only thing I am not clear on is DNS settings. DNS
is set to what it has always been prior to vista (that of ISP)

In the network map I see my machine and the gateway router.

Incidentally, the client for microsoft networks named service provider will
no stay selected on windows locators ( not sure if this matters)

whew- seems like I have tried everything hmm

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Cannot ping my own IP- general network sharing problem w/ xp
On both computers, do this command: "net share". Post back with the result.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Sean K" <Sean K@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to set up vista basic home for the first time to connect to
> Windows XP machine. I cannot ping myself or see share contents between
> machines. I can connect to the internet on all machines.
>
> From vista machine I can:
> Ping 127.0.0.1
> cannot ping the ip address I gave my own card (192.168.1.x)
> I could not see XP machine on network (until I installed LLTD for xp on xp
> machine)
> I can ping xp machine IP
>
> On vista machine, network discovery is on, file sharing is one, it is a
> private network and password protected sharing is off. I also tested with
> firewall off.
>
> From XP machine:
> I can see vista machine listed (but not shared info)
> Cannot connect or select shared printer (although I can see it)
>
> I have reinstalled network card. Reinstalled LLTD mapper and responder.
> Both machines are connected to same switch. Both are set with same subnet
> mask, gateway, and workgroup name
>
> I am connected to a linksys switch which is in turn connected to a linksys
> router to internet. The older router is not on the linksys list for
> non-vista compatible. My ip addresses are both static local 192.168.1.x
> and
> gateway is router IP. The only thing I am not clear on is DNS settings.
> DNS
> is set to what it has always been prior to vista (that of ISP)
>
> In the network map I see my machine and the gateway router.
>
> Incidentally, the client for microsoft networks named service provider
> will
> no stay selected on windows locators ( not sure if this matters)
>
> whew- seems like I have tried everything hmm

Mick Murphy

RE: Cannot ping my own IP- general network sharing problem w/ xp

How to give Permissions are there, too.

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON