Mapped drive not available

kengolding

Mapped drive not available
We have a vb.net program.
It uses mapped drived.
I have a drive called P:
sometimes my program will not be able to see the drive and if I go to
explorer it will have a red x by it. I can then browse to it and see it
fine, but our program still cannot see it.

I have a dialog browser in the program and when I open it and go to my
comptuer, all of the mapped drives have red x's by them. If I click one to
access it then all is ok until it times out again.

We have the program installed on many computers but only the vista computers
are having this problem we have never had a problem with the xp stuff.
Also the code that checks if the directory is available checks both the
local drive and network drives and only the network drives have this problem.
We use
my.computer.filesystem.driectoryexists("P:\test")

is there a way to either refresh the network connections or tell them to not
TIMEOUT.

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Mapped drive not available
Microsoft has a hotfix that may fix the problem. Or check these posts.

Vista: mapping drive with a red XSymptom: You may see a red "X" appears in
the icon for a mapped network drive in Folders area of Windows Explorer.
This problem may occur if the following ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...pic.php?p=2208

Red X on my network icon/server ...Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:54 am
Post subject: Red X on my network ... Since installing Vista Business on a
Dell D620 with Intel Core2 Duo 2GHz with 2GB Ram ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...pic.php?t=2080

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"kengolding" <kengolding@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have a vb.net program.
> It uses mapped drived.
> I have a drive called P:
> sometimes my program will not be able to see the drive and if I go to
> explorer it will have a red x by it. I can then browse to it and see it
> fine, but our program still cannot see it.
>
> I have a dialog browser in the program and when I open it and go to my
> comptuer, all of the mapped drives have red x's by them. If I click one
> access it then all is ok until it times out again.
>
> We have the program installed on many computers but only the vista
> computers
> are having this problem we have never had a problem with the xp stuff.
> Also the code that checks if the directory is available checks both the
> local drive and network drives and only the network drives have this
> problem.
> We use
> my.computer.filesystem.driectoryexists("P:\test")
>

> is there a way to either refresh the network connections or tell them to
> not
> TIMEOUT.

kengolding

Re: Mapped drive not available
Thanks for the reply. We are going to try this hotfix, but our problem is a
bit different. The explorer works, but when we access it from inside of our
vb.net program the file is not available.

Even though we can see it from the explorer. Once we browse to the
directory via the programs internal file browser then it works from within
the program.

I will post back when we try the hotfix.

Thanks again

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Microsoft has a hotfix that may fix the problem. Or check these posts.
>
> Vista: mapping drive with a red XSymptom: You may see a red "X" appears in
> the icon for a mapped network drive in Folders area of Windows Explorer.
> This problem may occur if the following ...
> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...pic.php?p=2208
>
> Red X on my network icon/server ...Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:54 am
> Post subject: Red X on my network ... Since installing Vista Business on a
> Dell D620 with Intel Core2 Duo 2GHz with 2GB Ram ...
> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...pic.php?t=2080
>

> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "kengolding" <kengolding@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > We have a vb.net program.
> > It uses mapped drived.
> > I have a drive called P:
> > sometimes my program will not be able to see the drive and if I go to
> > explorer it will have a red x by it. I can then browse to it and see it
> > fine, but our program still cannot see it.
> >
> > I have a dialog browser in the program and when I open it and go to my
> > comptuer, all of the mapped drives have red x's by them. If I click one
> > access it then all is ok until it times out again.
> >
> > We have the program installed on many computers but only the vista
> > computers
> > are having this problem we have never had a problem with the xp stuff.
> > Also the code that checks if the directory is available checks both the
> > local drive and network drives and only the network drives have this
> > problem.
> > We use
> > my.computer.filesystem.driectoryexists("P:\test")
> >

> > is there a way to either refresh the network connections or tell them to
> > not
> > TIMEOUT.

kengolding