Is it possible to share Windows Media Center over a network???

ToddinPittsburgh

Is it possible to share Windows Media Center over a network???
I have a Vista Home Premium desktop w/ Pc-tuner card connected to my
wireless-n home network. In addition, my girlfriend has a Vista Home Premium
Laptop that she also has connected to the network. Right now, I am currently
able to share any "recorded" content (tv shows, movies etc) and she can
access them fine on her laptop (it was simply a matter of sharing the
"recorded tv" folder on the network.

My question is this: Is it possible to set her laptop up as a Media Center
Extender so that she can access and stream the live tv from my PC-Tuner/Media
Center to her computer ???

I am trying to avoid 3rd party apps or purchasing a usb tuner card for her
computer. Why?

First, I have found a 3rd party app called WebGuide that emulates what I
want but it streams the content to a website....which, she can then log into
and access "controls" and stream content to her laptop - problem? It seems
like I am "over fixing" the problem and adding a 3rd link when there doesn't
need to be when the laptop is right here.....why do I need to stream out to a
website and then back when she is already directly connected to the network.

Secondly, if I installed a usb tuner card to her laptop - which would seem
like the simplest fix - I would have to split the cable and create a feed for
her tuner card to plug into....this would essentially eliminate the
portability of her wireless laptop.

Third, if I can plug a $400 XBox 360 in, set it up wirelessly and be able to
do it with no issues......there MUST be a way to do this for a $1200 Vista
Media Center laptop without additional hardware or 3rd party apps.
Barb Bowman

Re: Is it possible to share Windows Media Center over a network???
Nope. This is not possible. It has been a top request, that is for
sure.

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

funkybluemonkey3 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Is it possible to share Windows Media Center over a network???
I realize this post is old, but in even in the latest Windows 7 beta this feature still doesn't exist. How come?