can not connect internet on vista via cable modem

net2surfin

can not connect internet on vista via cable modem
After seeing my friends's PC with WinVista, I decided to give a shot by fresh
install on my 'ol PC. Everything works fine, until I'm trying to connect to
Internet. On my previous WinXP-Pro, I connected to internet via cable modem
supplied by my tv cable company, with static IP address, plugged into
ethernet port and it works fine. Unfortunately not with Vista. I have entered
the same IP, subnet mask, default gate, DNS server just like on my old WinXP
only to find it fail.
I have also tried disabled IPv6 and still not connected, and my ethernet
(LAN) status is "unidentified network."

This is my network stuff:
- Motorola SB5101, connect via wired, cat5 connection to
- Internal (onboard) gigabit NVidia ethernet controller,
- With static IP given from cable company:

IP address: 202.169.231.103
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
default gateway: 202.169.231.1

DNS server: 202.169.224.3
alternate DNS: 202.169.224.4

Someone said that after configuring, I should turn off both modem and PC,
then restart PC followed by cable modem (which I have tried too), but still
no connection. Even the modem web interface cannot be initialized
(http://192.168.100.1). I've tried my friends PCs/Laptops with Vista, and get
the very same result. Is it my cable modem did not fit with Vista? Or else?

Anybody please help me. I'm seriously consider to downgrade to my old XP if
this stubborn Vista still not connected via my Cable Modem. Thanks for the
answer.
Davmail

RE: can not connect internet on vista via cable modem
I had similar problem,if you go to Network Connections,and on the network
card right click it,then click 'disable',then right click again after its
been disabled,and click 'enable',should say network connection2,should work
then,this fixed it for me.Hope it helps.

"net2surfin" wrote:

> After seeing my friends's PC with WinVista, I decided to give a shot by fresh
> install on my 'ol PC. Everything works fine, until I'm trying to connect to
> Internet. On my previous WinXP-Pro, I connected to internet via cable modem
> supplied by my tv cable company, with static IP address, plugged into
> ethernet port and it works fine. Unfortunately not with Vista. I have entered
> the same IP, subnet mask, default gate, DNS server just like on my old WinXP
> only to find it fail.
> I have also tried disabled IPv6 and still not connected, and my ethernet
> (LAN) status is "unidentified network."
>
> This is my network stuff:
> - Motorola SB5101, connect via wired, cat5 connection to
> - Internal (onboard) gigabit NVidia ethernet controller,
> - With static IP given from cable company:
>
> IP address: 202.169.231.103
> subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
> default gateway: 202.169.231.1
>
> DNS server: 202.169.224.3
> alternate DNS: 202.169.224.4
>
> Someone said that after configuring, I should turn off both modem and PC,
> then restart PC followed by cable modem (which I have tried too), but still
> no connection. Even the modem web interface cannot be initialized
> (http://192.168.100.1). I've tried my friends PCs/Laptops with Vista, and get
> the very same result. Is it my cable modem did not fit with Vista? Or else?
>
> Anybody please help me. I'm seriously consider to downgrade to my old XP if
> this stubborn Vista still not connected via my Cable Modem. Thanks for the
> answer.

net2surfin

RE: can not connect internet on vista via cable modem

Thanks Davmail,

Yes I've tried to disabled and re-enabled several times, (it showed network
connection 6 as the last time I enabled. Well, it didn't work either. Oh btw,
what Vista version is yours? Mine is Basic Premium. Thanks again.

"Davmail" wrote:

> I had similar problem,if you go to Network Connections,and on the network
> card right click it,then click 'disable',then right click again after its
> been disabled,and click 'enable',should say network connection2,should work
> then,this fixed it for me.Hope it helps.

net2surfin

RE: can not connect internet on vista via cable modem
Oops sorry for my mistake. My version is Vista Home Premium, not Basic
Premium. Sorry again everyone.
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: can not connect internet on vista via cable modem
Can you ping the modem? Or these links may help,

Resolution of Vista Unidentified NetworkThe Vista Unidentified Network or
Limited Connectivity could be hardware, TCP/IP configuration or security
issues. The following are some resolutions. ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/vista/uni...irdnetwork.htm

Vista Internet Access IssuesVista can’t access the Internet because of
TCP/IP settings Vista can't access the Internet because of security software
Vista drop the Internet connection ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistaieissues.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"net2surfin" <net2surfin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After seeing my friends's PC with WinVista, I decided to give a shot by
> fresh
> install on my 'ol PC. Everything works fine, until I'm trying to connect
> Internet. On my previous WinXP-Pro, I connected to internet via cable
> modem
> supplied by my tv cable company, with static IP address, plugged into
> ethernet port and it works fine. Unfortunately not with Vista. I have
> entered
> the same IP, subnet mask, default gate, DNS server just like on my old
> WinXP
> only to find it fail.
> I have also tried disabled IPv6 and still not connected, and my ethernet
> (LAN) status is "unidentified network."
>
> This is my network stuff:
> - Motorola SB5101, connect via wired, cat5 connection to
> - Internal (onboard) gigabit NVidia ethernet controller,
> - With static IP given from cable company:
>
> IP address: 202.169.231.103
> subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
> default gateway: 202.169.231.1
>
> DNS server: 202.169.224.3
> alternate DNS: 202.169.224.4
>
> Someone said that after configuring, I should turn off both modem and PC,
> then restart PC followed by cable modem (which I have tried too), but
> still
> no connection. Even the modem web interface cannot be initialized
> (http://192.168.100.1). I've tried my friends PCs/Laptops with Vista, and
> get
> the very same result. Is it my cable modem did not fit with Vista? Or
> else?
>
> Anybody please help me. I'm seriously consider to downgrade to my old XP
> if
> this stubborn Vista still not connected via my Cable Modem. Thanks for the
> answer.

net2surfin

Re: can not connect internet on vista via cable modem
Thanks Mr.Robert,

No, I can't ping anything except internal loopback (127.0.0.1), the network
still says "unidentified network" (with "or limited" if I enabled IPv6).

> Resolution of Vista Unidentified NetworkThe Vista Unidentified >Network or
>Limited Connectivity could be hardware, TCP/IP configuration or >security
>issues. The following are some resolutions. ...

Well, you got me there. After a quick check I have the following conditions:

1. Old drivers? I've downloaded and used the newest from hardware
manufacturer (when I still using my XP).
2. I didn't use my PC for ICS or anything that required multihome.
3. Resetting my modem is not working too, and considering new IPv6 problem,
I've disabled it, and still not connected.
5. I didn't using Norton, McAfee or else, and I have disabled such programs
(like firewall etc).
6. for the rest takes time to show you the result, but somehow I have
feeling this problems is related with my Cable company.

Thanks for the helps, its really matter. Cheers
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: can not connect internet on vista via cable modem
Or find out if there is a new firmware for the modem.

--

> Thanks Mr.Robert,
>
> No, I can't ping anything except internal loopback (127.0.0.1), the
> network
> still says "unidentified network" (with "or limited" if I enabled IPv6).
>
>> Resolution of Vista Unidentified NetworkThe Vista Unidentified >Network
>> or
>>Limited Connectivity could be hardware, TCP/IP configuration or >security
>>issues. The following are some resolutions. ...

> Well, you got me there. After a quick check I have the following
> conditions:
>
> 1. Old drivers? I've downloaded and used the newest from hardware
> manufacturer (when I still using my XP).
> 2. I didn't use my PC for ICS or anything that required multihome.
> 3. Resetting my modem is not working too, and considering new IPv6
> problem,
> I've disabled it, and still not connected.
> 5. I didn't using Norton, McAfee or else, and I have disabled such
> programs
> (like firewall etc).
> 6. for the rest takes time to show you the result, but somehow I have
> feeling this problems is related with my Cable company.
>
> Thanks for the helps, its really matter. Cheers

net2surfin

Re: can not connect internet on vista via cable modem
Thanks Robert,

After I check it with my friends modem, I found out that mine has the newest
firmware, so I thought it might be OK. Recently, I contacted the tachnical
guy from my cable co. and they just told me, "Sure, with your old cable modem
you can connected right away, however the settings is very, very different
and it must be done in real Administrator account, not Administrator
previlleges". Ha ha, what a shocking answer!

So my suspicious is answered, and until I can get the answer, I suggest for
everyone who has WIndows Vista, subscribed to Cable internet, get a static
IP/DNS, and still cannot connected, I suggest you to contact your Cable
company. Maybe they have the secret, and in a good reason (for security, they
told me).
Barb Bowman

Re: can not connect internet on vista via cable modem
it is likely that the issue is the ISPs DHCP server. thousands of
5101's are deployed and are working with Vista.

You might try putting a router between your cable modem and your
computer.

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 16:22:01 -0800, net2surfin

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
net2surfin

Re: can not connect internet on vista via cable modem
Thanks Bowman,

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> You might try putting a router between your cable modem and your
> computer.

Strangely, your suggestion is works like a charm on my friend's laptop, but
not on my PC. I've tried to re-install, and still not connected. Oh well,
maybe my PC is not so lucky as my friend's laptop. I have downgraded back to
old Windows XP-Pro, since I need it to help me finish my college
task....hiks...

> it is likely that the issue is the ISPs DHCP server. thousands of
> 5101's are deployed and are working with Vista.

Well, I think it is obvious to me (CMIIW) that my cable ISP didn't use DHCP,
instead they use a pool range of IPs so it will never get conflicted and
easier to monitori...who knows?? But I still love Cable, especially the
speed. Until I get consulted to my Cable co, I'll put this on hold to
continue my study. Thanks for the answer guys, I really appreciated!