Networking Programs and data files

mmacy

Networking Programs and data files
Hi:

We have a 4 PC network (all using VISTA), and after a configuation issue we
lost conectivity between the PC's. I finally was able to link them back up,
however, right now we are unbale to view the same data (EXCEL worksheet),
even under a read only. On all the PC's, except the PC in which the file
resides and which ever one is currently running the data file. When we try
to access the data file from any other PC all we get is the little circle
telling us the PC is working to open the file, but it won't open until the PC
who has it up first closes the file.

Any help is welcomed
Mick Murphy

RE: Networking Programs and data files

How to give Permissions are there, too.

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

from an XP computer.

"mmacy" wrote:

> Hi:
>
> We have a 4 PC network (all using VISTA), and after a configuation issue we
> lost conectivity between the PC's. I finally was able to link them back up,
> however, right now we are unbale to view the same data (EXCEL worksheet),
> even under a read only. On all the PC's, except the PC in which the file
> resides and which ever one is currently running the data file. When we try
> to access the data file from any other PC all we get is the little circle
> telling us the PC is working to open the file, but it won't open until the PC
> who has it up first closes the file.
>
> Any help is welcomed

ms.macy

RE: Networking Programs and data files
Hello:

I have done all that, it seems that the trouble started when our "IT" guy
came into out area and moved all the managers files onto the admin side of
his PC, the Managers PC is the one where all the shared folders/files reside.
Virtually every operation was lost by the managers PC, no e-mail, no network
pritning, etc.. He could not see the company network and so forth. I manage
to be able to re-establish connection and file sharing with the 4 PC's in our
area, however, with the resulting loss of being able to open shared files on
more that 2 PC's at a time, with the manzagers PC being the one that can open
at anytime, but the other three only one at a time.

Also, if it is any help, one of the PC's has VISTA PRO (?), and the rest
have VISTA Home.

Mark

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> How to give Permissions are there, too.
>
> 1st thing to do is make sure that the Workgroup Name of ALL the computers is
> the SAME.
>
> In Vista Network and Sharing:

> File Sharing: ON
>
> Public Folder Sharing: ON (Vista’s Public Folder is the same as XP’s Shared
> Docs)

> passwords on ALL computers in your Network) If you have it ON, you will be
> asked for a username and password when you try to access a Vista computer
> from an XP computer.
>
> Also, run the XP’s Home Network File and Printer sharing Wizard.
>

> "mmacy" wrote:
>
> > Hi:
> >
> > We have a 4 PC network (all using VISTA), and after a configuation issue we
> > lost conectivity between the PC's. I finally was able to link them back up,
> > however, right now we are unbale to view the same data (EXCEL worksheet),
> > even under a read only. On all the PC's, except the PC in which the file
> > resides and which ever one is currently running the data file. When we try
> > to access the data file from any other PC all we get is the little circle
> > telling us the PC is working to open the file, but it won't open until the PC
> > who has it up first closes the file.
> >
> > Any help is welcomed

Mick Murphy

RE: Networking Programs and data files
It is called Vista Business.
And Home comes in Vista Basic and Vista home Premium.

Why don't you just DRAG the IT guy back, and get HIM to put everything back
to where it was?