Cannot set Vista file sharing permision to allow access to Vista f

Craig

Cannot set Vista file sharing permision to allow access to Vista f
I have a small network of a windows 95, a 2000 pro, and a XP pro to which I
have added a new Vista business machine. I can see all the other machines and
access all files on them from my Vista machine, but although I can see the
vista drives I can only access the removable drives and the public folder on
my Vista machine from the other machines. For the C and D drives I get Access
denied message when I try to access them.

I have gone around in circles trying to set permisions . In Network and
sharing I have network discovery, file sharing, public folder sharing, and
media sharing on and password protected sharing off.

On C and D drives I have sharing on and have given full control permission
to everyone. I believe it is a problem that Vista doen't want to give access
to everyone, how do I solve this?

--
Craig Peterson
Phisherman

Re: Cannot set Vista file sharing permision to allow access to Vista f
On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 14:57:02 -0800, Craig
<Craig@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have a small network of a windows 95, a 2000 pro, and a XP pro to which I
>have added a new Vista business machine. I can see all the other machines and
>access all files on them from my Vista machine, but although I can see the
>vista drives I can only access the removable drives and the public folder on
>my Vista machine from the other machines. For the C and D drives I get Access
>denied message when I try to access them.
>
>I have gone around in circles trying to set permisions . In Network and
>sharing I have network discovery, file sharing, public folder sharing, and
>media sharing on and password protected sharing off.
>
>On C and D drives I have sharing on and have given full control permission
>to everyone. I believe it is a problem that Vista doen't want to give access
>to everyone, how do I solve this?

Do you have any Symantec/Norton software loaded? This can screw up
networking.
Mick Murphy

RE: Cannot set Vista file sharing permision to allow access to Vista f

How to give Permissions are there, too.

"Craig" wrote:

> I have a small network of a windows 95, a 2000 pro, and a XP pro to which I
> have added a new Vista business machine. I can see all the other machines and
> access all files on them from my Vista machine, but although I can see the
> vista drives I can only access the removable drives and the public folder on
> my Vista machine from the other machines. For the C and D drives I get Access
> denied message when I try to access them.
>
> I have gone around in circles trying to set permisions . In Network and
> sharing I have network discovery, file sharing, public folder sharing, and
> media sharing on and password protected sharing off.
>
> On C and D drives I have sharing on and have given full control permission
> to everyone. I believe it is a problem that Vista doen't want to give access
> to everyone, how do I solve this?
>
> --
> Craig Peterson

Eric Cross [MVP]

Re: Cannot set Vista file sharing permision to allow access to Vista f
Hello Craig,

The way file sharing works when you are sharing the root of the drive is two
permissions sets are used for file sharing since it is considered unsecure
than sharing specific folders. In Vista, you need to to set share
permissions and folder permissions. You can view or set folder permissions
by selecting the properties of the folder or drive and selecting the
Security tab.

--
Eric Cross
Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)