setting subnet mask and gateway

alice

setting subnet mask and gateway
How do I set a subnet and gateway on Vista? It does not have a text
field to enter those, like XP does, or at least not in the same place.
Is it hidden somewhere else now?
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: setting subnet mask and gateway
Go to Network and Sharing center and Manage Network Connections. Do the same
as XP.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"alice" <alice@fearofdolls.com> wrote in message
> How do I set a subnet and gateway on Vista? It does not have a text
> field to enter those, like XP does, or at least not in the same place.
> Is it hidden somewhere else now?

gregf@kcls.org

Re: setting subnet mask and gateway
On Dec 20, 6:37*pm, "Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)" <nore...@chicagotech.net>
wrote:
> Go to Network and Sharing center and Manage Network Connections. Do the same
> as XP.

In XP there is a text field for IP adress, Subnet Mask, and Gateway,
then 2 fields below that for DNS entries.
In Vista, I've got IP Address, then just the 2 DNS fields. Where do I
enter the gateway and subnet?

> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting onhttp://www.ChicagoTech.net
> How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access onhttp://www.HowToNetworking.com
>
> "alice" <al...@fearofdolls.com> wrote in message

> > How do I set a subnet and gateway on Vista? It does not have a text
> > field to enter those, like XP does, or at least not in the same place.
> > Is it hidden somewhere else now?- Hide quoted text -

Mick Murphy

Re: setting subnet mask and gateway
Greg, it is the same as XP. But around a corner, lol.

Go into vista Network and Sharing>
Manage Network connection(in the left-hand column)>
In the LAN window that pops up, right-click it> then left-click Properties>
In the Networking window that comes up, select TCP/IPv6 or TCP/IPv4, and
click on the properties button.>
The next window is your "auto IP" or set everything up, including gateway,
subnet, etc.

Merry Xmas.

"gregf@kcls.org" wrote:

> On Dec 20, 6:37 pm, "Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)" <nore...@chicagotech.net>
> wrote:
> > Go to Network and Sharing center and Manage Network Connections. Do the same
> > as XP.

> In XP there is a text field for IP adress, Subnet Mask, and Gateway,
> then 2 fields below that for DNS entries.
> In Vista, I've got IP Address, then just the 2 DNS fields. Where do I
> enter the gateway and subnet?
> >
> > --
> > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting onhttp://www.ChicagoTech.net
> > How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access onhttp://www.HowToNetworking.com
> >
> > "alice" <al...@fearofdolls.com> wrote in message

> > > How do I set a subnet and gateway on Vista? It does not have a text
> > > field to enter those, like XP does, or at least not in the same place.
> > > Is it hidden somewhere else now?- Hide quoted text -

Mick Murphy

RE: setting subnet mask and gateway
Alice, it is the same as XP. But around a corner, lol.

On Dec 21, 3:28*am, Mick Murphy <MickMur...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> Alice, it is the same as XP. But around a corner, lol.
>
> Go into vista Network and Sharing>
> Manage Network connection(in the left-hand column)>
> In the LAN window that pops up, right-click it> then left-click Properties>
> In the Networking window that comes up, select TCP/IPv6 or TCP/IPv4, and
> click on the properties button.>
> The next window is your "auto IP" or set everything up, including gateway,
> subnet, etc.
>
> Merry
>

> "alice" wrote:
> > How do I set a subnet and gateway on Vista? It does not have a text
> > field to enter those, like XP does, or at least not in the same place.
> > Is it hidden somewhere else now?- Hide quoted text -

I'm in the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IP4) Properties window,
there is only one tab, General, and there is the choice to choose an
IP automatically, or use the following, then the same for DNS, but
there are no text fields for gateway for subnet mask. Can anyone tell
me where these are?
gregf@kcls.org

On Dec 21, 8:53*am, gr...@kcls.org wrote:
> On Dec 21, 3:28*am, Mick Murphy <MickMur...@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>

> > Alice, it is the same as XP. But around a corner, lol.

> > Go into vista Network and Sharing>
> > Manage Network connection(in the left-hand column)>
> > In the LAN window that pops up, right-click it> then left-click Properties>
> > In the Networking window that comes up, select TCP/IPv6 or TCP/IPv4, and
> > click on the properties button.>
> > The next window is your "auto IP" or set everything up, including gateway,
> > subnet, etc.

> > Merry

> > "alice" wrote:
> > > How do I set a subnet and gateway on Vista? It does not have a text
> > > field to enter those, like XP does, or at least not in the same place.
> > > Is it hidden somewhere else now?- Hide quoted text -

> I'm in the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IP4) Properties window,
> there is only one tab, General, and there is the choice to choose an
> IP automatically, or use the following, then the same for DNS, but
> there are no text fields for gateway for subnet mask. Can anyone tell
> me where these are?- Hide quoted text -

I'm noticing that the only thing that has changed since the last time
this connection worked is that I installed some windows updates. Can
anyone tell me how on Vista to uninstall the updates?
alice

On Dec 21, 9:08*am, gr...@kcls.org wrote:
> On Dec 21, 8:53*am, gr...@kcls.org wrote:
>

> > On Dec 21, 3:28*am, Mick Murphy <MickMur...@discussions.microsoft.com>
> > wrote:

> > > Alice, it is the same as XP. But around a corner, lol.

> > > Go into vista Network and Sharing>
> > > Manage Network connection(in the left-hand column)>
> > > In the LAN window that pops up, right-click it> then left-click Properties>
> > > In the Networking window that comes up, select TCP/IPv6 or TCP/IPv4, and
> > > click on the properties button.>
> > > The next window is your "auto IP" or set everything up, including gateway,
> > > subnet, etc.

> > > Merry

> > I'm in the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IP4) Properties window,
> > there is only one tab, General, and there is the choice to choose an
> > IP automatically, or use the following, then the same for DNS, but
> > there are no text fields for gateway for subnet mask. Can anyone tell
> > me where these are?- Hide quoted text -

> I'm noticing that the only thing that has changed since the last time
> this connection worked is that I installed some windows updates. Can
> anyone tell me how on Vista to uninstall the updates?- Hide quoted text -

I think I may have figured it out. Can anyone tell me now how to set
up a new LAN connection? Everything I try is creating a new broadband
connection, which is not what I need.
Mick Murphy

Re: setting subnet mask and gateway
I have home Premium, and it is exactly where you are. You move the radio
button to type in a static IP, subnet and gateway.

"gregf@kcls.org" wrote:

> On Dec 21, 3:28 am, Mick Murphy <MickMur...@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
> > Alice, it is the same as XP. But around a corner, lol.
> >
> > Go into vista Network and Sharing>
> > Manage Network connection(in the left-hand column)>
> > In the LAN window that pops up, right-click it> then left-click Properties>
> > In the Networking window that comes up, select TCP/IPv6 or TCP/IPv4, and
> > click on the properties button.>
> > The next window is your "auto IP" or set everything up, including gateway,
> > subnet, etc.
> >
> > Merry
> >

> > "alice" wrote:
> > > How do I set a subnet and gateway on Vista? It does not have a text
> > > field to enter those, like XP does, or at least not in the same place.
> > > Is it hidden somewhere else now?- Hide quoted text -

> I'm in the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IP4) Properties window,
> there is only one tab, General, and there is the choice to choose an
> IP automatically, or use the following, then the same for DNS, but
> there are no text fields for gateway for subnet mask. Can anyone tell
> me where these are?

Oriental Indian

Re: setting subnet mask and gateway

Did u get a solution to the problem?
I can still not get subnet mask and the gateway in the properties input
screen.
Someone help!

--
Oriental Indian