Home Networking Help!!

Rebes

Home Networking Help!!
I have two pcs both running Win Vista Home Premium, they are connected to the
internet via a netgear router through cables. PCB can see PCA but PCA cannot
see PCB. I have noticed that PCB's workgroup is called MSHOME and PCA's
workgroup is called Workgroup. I have followed the help menu to change the
workgroup but it doesn't give me the option called "Member of" to enable me
to change it. I am presuming that this is one problem but there will
probably be others. Any ideas folks? By the way, PCB can see the public
folder on PCA but again, not the other way round. Both are connecting to the
Internet fine.
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Home Networking Help!!
We need more information about changing workgroup name, but can you ping PCB
from PCA?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Rebes" <Rebes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have two pcs both running Win Vista Home Premium, they are connected to
>the
> internet via a netgear router through cables. PCB can see PCA but PCA
> cannot
> see PCB. I have noticed that PCB's workgroup is called MSHOME and PCA's
> workgroup is called Workgroup. I have followed the help menu to change
> the
> workgroup but it doesn't give me the option called "Member of" to enable
> me
> to change it. I am presuming that this is one problem but there will
> probably be others. Any ideas folks? By the way, PCB can see the public
> folder on PCA but again, not the other way round. Both are connecting to
> the
> Internet fine.

Bob Willard

Re: Home Networking Help!!
Rebes wrote:

> I have two pcs both running Win Vista Home Premium, they are connected to the
> internet via a netgear router through cables. PCB can see PCA but PCA cannot
> see PCB. I have noticed that PCB's workgroup is called MSHOME and PCA's
> workgroup is called Workgroup. I have followed the help menu to change the
> workgroup but it doesn't give me the option called "Member of" to enable me
> to change it. I am presuming that this is one problem but there will
> probably be others. Any ideas folks? By the way, PCB can see the public
> folder on PCA but again, not the other way round. Both are connecting to the
> Internet fine.

One-way connections are usually caused by misconfigured firewalls. As a
first step to troubleshooting, disable all M$ firewalls, and remove
(i.e., uninstall) all other firewalls and all AV apps (since some AV apps
include firewalls).

Make sure you can PING-by-number and PING-by-name, in both directions.
--
Cheers, Bob