Wireless router - Local access OK but NO internet access - HELP!!

Dave Doc

Wireless router - Local access OK but NO internet access - HELP!!
Hi folks,

As a bit of a newbie with wireless networking I have a huge problem, I will
try to be as brief as possible:

I have a laptop with a wireless card built in running Vista Premium, I have
a wireless router and a desktop pc also with a wireless card. Now the
wireless desktop pc is running XP and accesses the internet with no problems,
however my laptop can wirelessly connect to the router and my signal strength
is excellent, however when I try to access the internet using IE I get an
error message saying that I am not connected to the internet! I have checked
various website addresses and still the same message.

On the laptop I have run the Windows diagnostic program to try and determine
the problem but it is unable to fix it. It states that the router is not
responding to the laptop, something about the Primary DNS. What else can I
try? I have been reading this forum and tried various suggestions put forward
by other users but they haven't worked for me. Please help!!

Many thanks
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Wireless router - Local access OK but NO internet access - HELP!!
Can you ping a public IP? If yes, can you ping yahoo.com? if not, post back
with the result of ipconfig /all.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net