router

naramelissa

router
I have two of our comps connected directly to the main router, but the other
computers are connected to a smaller router that is connected to the main
router, is this a problem to connect on the network, because I am able to
access the computers that are not directly connected, what should I do ?
thank you
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: router
What do you mean by that "because I am able to
access the computers that are not directly connected"?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"naramelissa" <naramelissa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have two of our comps connected directly to the main router, but the
>other
> computers are connected to a smaller router that is connected to the main
> router, is this a problem to connect on the network, because I am able to
> access the computers that are not directly connected, what should I do ?
> thank you

Malke

Re: router
naramelissa wrote:
> I have two of our comps connected directly to the main router, but the other
> computers are connected to a smaller router that is connected to the main
> router, is this a problem to connect on the network, because I am able to
> access the computers that are not directly connected, what should I do ?
> thank you

Your post is pretty confusing and lacking in details, but my guess is
that you really do have two routers connected and they are both doing
DHCP. If this is an accurate guess, you need to turn off DHCP in the
second router which will effectively turn it into a switch instead. Then
all computers will be on the same subnet and be able to share resources.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Chuck [MVP]

Re: router
On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 16:51:00 -0800, naramelissa
<naramelissa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have two of our comps connected directly to the main router, but the other
>computers are connected to a smaller router that is connected to the main
>router, is this a problem to connect on the network, because I am able to
>access the computers that are not directly connected, what should I do ?
>thank you

If you want to connect all of the computers, for access to each other, you need
to use the smaller router as an access point. Sometimes, you can configure the
smaller router using a switch or setting; in other cases, you will have to
connect the smaller router to the main router through a LAN port, and disable
its DHCP server.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/file-sharing-on-lan-with-two-routers.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...o-routers.html

--
Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
naramelissa

Re: router
Sorry, I meant that I can´t see the computers that are not connected directly
to the router in the network, I have internet access only, not having them
directly to the main router is a problem to get on the network with the other
computers or perhaps I don´t have all the setups correctly.
thank you

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> What do you mean by that "because I am able to
> access the computers that are not directly connected"?
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "naramelissa" <naramelissa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have two of our comps connected directly to the main router, but the
> >other
> > computers are connected to a smaller router that is connected to the main
> > router, is this a problem to connect on the network, because I am able to
> > access the computers that are not directly connected, what should I do ?
> > thank you

naramelissa

Re: router
sorry about that, basically I have 4 computers, 2 of them are connected to a
main router, but because our phone system needs a router, we have two small
routers connected to the main router for the phone and we have to connect the
other two computers one to each small router, so the two computers connected
to the small routers have access to internet but I can get them on the net.
I hope I explain myself better, I am not too good with technical words.
thank you

"Malke" wrote:

> naramelissa wrote:
> > I have two of our comps connected directly to the main router, but the other
> > computers are connected to a smaller router that is connected to the main
> > router, is this a problem to connect on the network, because I am able to
> > access the computers that are not directly connected, what should I do ?
> > thank you

> Your post is pretty confusing and lacking in details, but my guess is
> that you really do have two routers connected and they are both doing
> DHCP. If this is an accurate guess, you need to turn off DHCP in the
> second router which will effectively turn it into a switch instead. Then
> all computers will be on the same subnet and be able to share resources.
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

Re: router
naramelissa wrote:
> sorry about that, basically I have 4 computers, 2 of them are connected to a
> main router, but because our phone system needs a router, we have two small
> routers connected to the main router for the phone and we have to connect the
> other two computers one to each small router, so the two computers connected
> to the small routers have access to internet but I can get them on the net.
> I hope I explain myself better, I am not too good with technical words.
> thank you

You need to have a tech come on-site and set you up properly since you
can't describe your situation well enough to get it resolved in a
newsgroup. I am not saying this to hurt your feelings; just being pragmatic.

Normally one only has one router doing DHCP in a network. One can have
numerous switches and access points along with the router, but only one
device on a network can be handing out IP addresses if you are doing
DHCP. I don't know why a phone system would need a router but I'm not a
telecom person. I'm sorry I was unable to help you.

Malke