unable to ping

naramelissa

unable to ping
I had two pc´s in a network but bought a new one to replace one of the
computers, after installing and replacing one of the comp, I used the same
computer name and tried to set up everything like I had on the old one, but
there is a problem with the old computer in the network, I can see both pc´s
in the network but when I try to access the new pc from the old pc it sends
me an error message saying it is unable to ping the computer, but from the
new computer I can see and access the old computer, I am not sure if there is
anything information I need to change on the new one so I can access it.
Please help.
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: unable to ping
I would check the firewall first.

IpconfigNo IP while the network cable is disconnected No operation can be
performed on the adapter One-way ping only Solved: Ping -a display a
different host name ...
www.chicagotech.net/ipconfig.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"naramelissa" <naramelissa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I had two pc´s in a network but bought a new one to replace one of the
> computers, after installing and replacing one of the comp, I used the same
> computer name and tried to set up everything like I had on the old one,
> but
> there is a problem with the old computer in the network, I can see both
> pc´s
> in the network but when I try to access the new pc from the old pc it
> sends
> me an error message saying it is unable to ping the computer, but from the
> new computer I can see and access the old computer, I am not sure if there
> is
> anything information I need to change on the new one so I can access it.
> Please help.

Mick Murphy

RE: unable to ping

How to give Permissions are there, too.

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

from an XP computer.

"naramelissa" wrote:

> I had two pc´s in a network but bought a new one to replace one of the
> computers, after installing and replacing one of the comp, I used the same
> computer name and tried to set up everything like I had on the old one, but
> there is a problem with the old computer in the network, I can see both pc´s
> in the network but when I try to access the new pc from the old pc it sends
> me an error message saying it is unable to ping the computer, but from the
> new computer I can see and access the old computer, I am not sure if there is
> anything information I need to change on the new one so I can access it.
> Please help.

naramelissa

Re: unable to ping
Thank you Robert, I am not sure I understand quite well, could you explain
the answer to me again please, thanks

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> I would check the firewall first.
>
> IpconfigNo IP while the network cable is disconnected No operation can be
> performed on the adapter One-way ping only Solved: Ping -a display a
> different host name ...
> www.chicagotech.net/ipconfig.htm
>

> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "naramelissa" <naramelissa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I had two pc´s in a network but bought a new one to replace one of the
> > computers, after installing and replacing one of the comp, I used the same
> > computer name and tried to set up everything like I had on the old one,
> > but
> > there is a problem with the old computer in the network, I can see both
> > pc´s
> > in the network but when I try to access the new pc from the old pc it
> > sends
> > me an error message saying it is unable to ping the computer, but from the
> > new computer I can see and access the old computer, I am not sure if there
> > is
> > anything information I need to change on the new one so I can access it.
> > Please help.

naramelissa

RE: unable to ping

Hi,
I have read this article but everything is exactly as suggested, I can see
the computer icon from the but once I click on it it can´t access the files,
but the new comp sees and access the old computer without any problems.