Printer sharing, Networking ailments

Clevo

Printer sharing, Networking ailments

For the first time last night I had a fully functional network. On the
Vista machine I could see the laptop Icon, click into it and have alook
at the files I could share.

I was about to test the shared printer but I decided to re-boot the
Vista Machine and the network had collapsed and I was back to square
one.

I could see the XP Laptop name when I have a look at the Network Map
but nothing else. It's there in name only.

Now I think I have everything set up properly, I know this because for
a moment, as I mentioned, the LAN was working fine with regards to
sharing files.

This is my set-up.

A Lynksys Router Modem. ( I have not installed drivers for this on the
Vista nor any update drivers, it worked properly when I connected the
Vista to the router)

a Canon i560 Printer USB which is plugged in to my Vista. Vista
recognised the printer and I can print from the vista no problems.

From the Vista:

I can see the other Laptop on the Netwrk Map but it doesn't appear on
the network. For a moment it did like I mentioned but it has now
dissapeared again. I can print to the printer from this machine

From The XP:

I can see the Vista and open up the public share files, I can set the
defalt printer ('\\Vista\canon' (file://\\Vista\canon) i560)

But when I try and print from the Laptop it asks me for drivers and
asks for a *.inf file.

So I re-installed the orginal drivers for the canon on the XP hoping
that would help. I've also set the switches on the Vista to set where
the rendering of the file to be printed. To no avail though.

Something is not right and this has me scrathing my head.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

--
Clevo
Mick Murphy

RE: Printer sharing, Networking ailments

How to give Permissions are there, too.

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

from an XP computer.

"Clevo" wrote:

> For the first time last night I had a fully functional network. On the
> Vista machine I could see the laptop Icon, click into it and have alook
> at the files I could share.
>
> I was about to test the shared printer but I decided to re-boot the
> Vista Machine and the network had collapsed and I was back to square
> one.
>
> I could see the XP Laptop name when I have a look at the Network Map
> but nothing else. It's there in name only.
>
> Now I think I have everything set up properly, I know this because for
> a moment, as I mentioned, the LAN was working fine with regards to
> sharing files.
>

> This is my set-up.
>
> A Lynksys Router Modem. ( I have not installed drivers for this on the
> Vista nor any update drivers, it worked properly when I connected the
> Vista to the router)
>
> a Canon i560 Printer USB which is plugged in to my Vista. Vista
> recognised the printer and I can print from the vista no problems.
>

> From the Vista:
>
> I can see the other Laptop on the Netwrk Map but it doesn't appear on
> the network. For a moment it did like I mentioned but it has now
> dissapeared again. I can print to the printer from this machine
>
> From The XP:
>
> I can see the Vista and open up the public share files, I can set the
> defalt printer ('\\Vista\canon' (file://\\Vista\canon) i560)
>
> But when I try and print from the Laptop it asks me for drivers and
> asks for a *.inf file.
>
> So I re-installed the orginal drivers for the canon on the XP hoping
> that would help. I've also set the switches on the Vista to set where
> the rendering of the file to be printed. To no avail though.
>
> Something is not right and this has me scrathing my head.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>

> --
> Clevo

Clevo

Re: Printer sharing, Networking ailments

Thanks Mick

I have already read that link...it was helpful and assisted me greatly
in getting my network to work for a moment but since re-booting the
Vista the network wasn't "saved"

What I will do when I get home is try to just set it all up again and
give the work group and new name etc.

What I also discovered today was how to test and set-up the printer in
the Vista machine and manually set it to share. I will be trying that
too.

Thanks

--
Clevo
Clevo

Re: Printer sharing, Networking ailments

Still having problems.

I am printing with my USB Canon i560 from the Vista fine.... It's set
to share.

From the XP when ever I try to connect the Printer it's asking for
Drivers from the Vista.

On the Vista there are of course NO 32bit XP drivers installed which is
what the XP machine needs before it can connect to the Printer attached
to the Vista.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

--
Clevo
Clevo

Re: Printer sharing, Networking ailments

Some progress....

With the Canon 1560 Printer attached to the Vista Machine I have added
on the Canon Vista modual from the Canon website.

What the site doesn;t explain is that this modual needs to be installed
on all machines trying to connect to Printer.

Life can sometimes suck...

--
Clevo
Mick Murphy

Re: Printer sharing, Networking ailments
Clevo, I set mine up the opposite to you; printer on XP; vista looked for it,
then it installed the Drivers itself.
Why don't you download the Printer driver for XP to the XP desktop from
Canon's site, and install it on the XP.
XP has what it needs to print then from the Canon.