Setting Up 2 High Speed Connections?

Saundra

Setting Up 2 High Speed Connections?
I hope this is the correct forum for my question -- if not, kindly redirect me.

Warning: I'm a bit braindead from being in tech hades, so if something
isn't clear, please ask.

We have a wired LAN using static IP addressing with a Linksys router,
switch, and wireless access point. We have high speed internet access via a
cable modem.

We are considering switching to ADSL service, so we're trying a service for
a couple of months before making any decision to switch.

Is it possible to set up both connections so that each individual can choose
which to use at any given time, and if so, how do I set that up?

I thought I could just set up a second Internet connection, but that doesn't
seem to be the right approach -- the process asks for a user name and
password, which had never been needed before.

Clearly, I'm over my head and clueless about where in the network settings
to do anything at this point, so I'd sincerely appreciate any assistance.
TIA!
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Setting Up 2 High Speed Connections?
Where your traffic goes depends on the default gateway. Normally, you can
access the internet using only one gateway. If you want to use two internet
connections, you need to modify the routing table. This search result may
help,

RoutingNo internet access - Destination net unreachable One router goes to
the corporation email server and another one goes to the Internet ...
www.chicagotech.net/routing.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Saundra" <Saundra@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I hope this is the correct forum for my question -- if not, kindly redirect
>me.
>
> Warning: I'm a bit braindead from being in tech hades, so if something
> isn't clear, please ask.
>
> We have a wired LAN using static IP addressing with a Linksys router,
> switch, and wireless access point. We have high speed internet access via
> cable modem.
>
> We are considering switching to ADSL service, so we're trying a service
> for
> a couple of months before making any decision to switch.
>
> Is it possible to set up both connections so that each individual can
> choose
> which to use at any given time, and if so, how do I set that up?
>
> I thought I could just set up a second Internet connection, but that
> doesn't
> seem to be the right approach -- the process asks for a user name and
> password, which had never been needed before.
>
> Clearly, I'm over my head and clueless about where in the network settings
> to do anything at this point, so I'd sincerely appreciate any assistance.
> TIA!

Saundra

Re: Setting Up 2 High Speed Connections?
Thanks for the input -- I now recognize that even if it's some way possible
to do what I want, it's technically way over my head! And, therefore, better
for me not to attempt :-)