Please help: Vista laptop connected to network, but not internet

arena

Please help: Vista laptop connected to network, but not internet
I have a desktop running XP, a Laptop running Vista, a Linksys wireless
router, and a no-name cable modem provided by my ISP.

Several months ago I set up a wireless network that was functioning
perfectly until a few days ago. The XP machine can still access the internet
through an ethernet cable connected directly to the router. The Vista machine
seems to be able to connect to the wireless network, but not the internet.

My wife says she didn't modify any of the settings on the Vista laptop, but
I'm at a loss as to why it could connect to the internet a few days ago, but
can't now.

Right clicking on the networking icon in the system tray brings up a message
box that says:

Currently connected to:
Unidentified...(motherbrain) [<-- the name of the network]
Access: Limited Connectivity [but the signal strength is excellent...]

The Network and Sharing Center shows the laptop connected to the
unidentified network (though there is a yellow warning sign on the
connection), but there is a big red "x" on the connection to the internet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Please help: Vista laptop connected to network, but not internet
You may want to reset router first. Or this search result may help too.

Resolution of Vista Unidentified NetworkThe Vista Unidentified Network or
Limited Connectivity could be hardware, TCP/IP configuration or security
issues. The following are some resolutions. ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/vista/uni...irdnetwork.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net