Media Sharing Stopped working after Hardware change?

Shin

Media Sharing Stopped working after Hardware change?
Hi,

One of my Vista Ultimate based PC's (the hub of the house media wise) has
suddenly stopped sharing Media.

I can't remember exactly when it happened but, it was definately after i
have done a major Upgrade to my PC, which consisted of a new Motherboard
(which meant a different MAC adress), new Processor, new Graphics Card and
New Memory, which is a pretty big overhaul.

But the computer is stable, drivers are all updated and running fine, as are
applications, and have had no errors since the PC upgrade, except the Media
Sharing.

I have checked all the other PCs and Laptops in the house and they can all
access Shared files, so file sharing is definately working, all the ports are
allowed in My Hardware Firewall, and Is allowed in Vista Firewall,
wmpnetwk.exe is running too.

I have tried deleting the network and then creating a new profile for my
network, disabled all sharing and then enabled it again.

Also When you click on Start > Network you are shown all the devices on the
Network, but what i see is the PC, other PC's but no Media PC (Usually it was
the same name but with a different Icon with a musical note and filmstrip).

Can anyone help me please, I really want to avoid a reformat, as i have way
too many applications and games to install and it is something i am really
trying to avoid. Part of me is thinking it could be the new Ethernet
Controller, but then why would File Sharing work?

Thanks,

Shin.
Mick Murphy

RE: Media Sharing Stopped working after Hardware change?

How to give Permissions are there, too.

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

Do you have Media sharing turned ON?

from an XP computer.

"Shin" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> One of my Vista Ultimate based PC's (the hub of the house media wise) has
> suddenly stopped sharing Media.
>
> I can't remember exactly when it happened but, it was definately after i
> have done a major Upgrade to my PC, which consisted of a new Motherboard
> (which meant a different MAC adress), new Processor, new Graphics Card and
> New Memory, which is a pretty big overhaul.
>
> But the computer is stable, drivers are all updated and running fine, as are
> applications, and have had no errors since the PC upgrade, except the Media
> Sharing.
>
> I have checked all the other PCs and Laptops in the house and they can all
> access Shared files, so file sharing is definately working, all the ports are
> allowed in My Hardware Firewall, and Is allowed in Vista Firewall,
> wmpnetwk.exe is running too.
>
> I have tried deleting the network and then creating a new profile for my
> network, disabled all sharing and then enabled it again.
>
> Also When you click on Start > Network you are shown all the devices on the
> Network, but what i see is the PC, other PC's but no Media PC (Usually it was
> the same name but with a different Icon with a musical note and filmstrip).
>
> Can anyone help me please, I really want to avoid a reformat, as i have way
> too many applications and games to install and it is something i am really
> trying to avoid. Part of me is thinking it could be the new Ethernet
> Controller, but then why would File Sharing work?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Shin.

Shin

RE: Media Sharing Stopped working after Hardware change?
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I had not changed any settings so all the file sharing i had working before
is still working, only media sharing is not. But to answr your questions...

The Workgroup on all PC's are the same Default Vista (WORKGROUP), my PS3 and
Xbox 360 are allowed on the Media Sharing confiuration too.

Network Discovery was and is still on

Network is set to Private.

File Sharing is on and Works 100%

Public Folder Sharing is on and Works 100%

Media Sharing is turned On (Not Working), also all the Media sharing
Processes are running.

There is no Password Protection.

"Also, run the XP’s Home Network File and Printer sharing Wizard." How would
i do this with Vista?

Also, is it posible to delete or Repair Media Player 11? As it may update
the Sharing as i am now using a different Ethernet Controller and MAC address.

Everything is allowed Firewall-wise, Both Vista Firewall and Hardware.

Thanks,

Shin.

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> How to give Permissions are there, too.
>
> 1st thing to do is make sure that the Workgroup Name of ALL the computers is
> the SAME.
>
> In Vista Network and Sharing:

> File Sharing: ON
>
> Public Folder Sharing: ON (Vista’s Public Folder is the same as XP’s Shared
> Docs)
>
> Do you have Media sharing turned ON?

> passwords on ALL computers in your Network) If you have it ON, you will be
> asked for a username and password when you try to access a Vista computer
> from an XP computer.
>
> Also, run the XP’s Home Network File and Printer sharing Wizard.
>

> "Shin" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > One of my Vista Ultimate based PC's (the hub of the house media wise) has
> > suddenly stopped sharing Media.
> >
> > I can't remember exactly when it happened but, it was definately after i
> > have done a major Upgrade to my PC, which consisted of a new Motherboard
> > (which meant a different MAC adress), new Processor, new Graphics Card and
> > New Memory, which is a pretty big overhaul.
> >
> > But the computer is stable, drivers are all updated and running fine, as are
> > applications, and have had no errors since the PC upgrade, except the Media
> > Sharing.
> >
> > I have checked all the other PCs and Laptops in the house and they can all
> > access Shared files, so file sharing is definately working, all the ports are
> > allowed in My Hardware Firewall, and Is allowed in Vista Firewall,
> > wmpnetwk.exe is running too.
> >
> > I have tried deleting the network and then creating a new profile for my
> > network, disabled all sharing and then enabled it again.
> >
> > Also When you click on Start > Network you are shown all the devices on the
> > Network, but what i see is the PC, other PC's but no Media PC (Usually it was
> > the same name but with a different Icon with a musical note and filmstrip).
> >
> > Can anyone help me please, I really want to avoid a reformat, as i have way
> > too many applications and games to install and it is something i am really
> > trying to avoid. Part of me is thinking it could be the new Ethernet
> > Controller, but then why would File Sharing work?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Shin.

Mick Murphy

RE: Media Sharing Stopped working after Hardware change?
The XP wizard is for the XPs.
No; you can't repair or reinstall Media Player..

Sorry, I am at a loss where to go from here.

"Shin" wrote:

> [...]
> > > access Shared files, so file sharing is definately working, all the ports are
> > > allowed in My Hardware Firewall, and Is allowed in Vista Firewall,
> > > wmpnetwk.exe is running too.
> > >
> > > I have tried deleting the network and then creating a new profile for my
> > > network, disabled all sharing and then enabled it again.
> > >
> > > Also When you click on Start > Network you are shown all the devices on the
> > > Network, but what i see is the PC, other PC's but no Media PC (Usually it was
> > > the same name but with a different Icon with a musical note and filmstrip).
> > >
> > > Can anyone help me please, I really want to avoid a reformat, as i have way
> > > too many applications and games to install and it is something i am really
> > > trying to avoid. Part of me is thinking it could be the new Ethernet
> > > Controller, but then why would File Sharing work?

darthstygeon

Re: Media Sharing Stopped working after Hardware change?

i have also had this same problem..i upgraded my cpu and now i cant
share video or music files over my wireless network.

--
darthstygeon
beebopalula4

Re: Media Sharing Stopped working after Hardware change?
Exact same problem here too, - trawled the web for a few days and I'm still
basically no further forward....

"darthstygeon" wrote:

> i have also had this same problem..i upgraded my cpu and now i cant
> share video or music files over my wireless network.
>

> --
> darthstygeon

Barb Bowman

Re: Media Sharing Stopped working after Hardware change?
Many of you in this thread may want to try resetting DRM. See
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archi...ows-vista.aspx

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
beebopalula4

Re: Media Sharing Stopped working after Hardware change?
THANKS!!! That worked a treat for me.

Note: The only additional step required is to initially change the explorer
settings so you can view hidden and system files otherwise the DRM folder and
contents don't show up.

Once I'd cleared out the DRM folder contents the media sharing (WMP11 via
Vista Ultimate) worked immediately.

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> Many of you in this thread may want to try resetting DRM. See
> http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archi...ows-vista.aspx
>
> On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 15:29:04 -0800, beebopalula4
> <beebopalula4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Exact same problem here too, - trawled the web for a few days and I'm still
> >basically no further forward....
> >
> >"darthstygeon" wrote:
> >

> >> i have also had this same problem..i upgraded my cpu and now i cant
> >> share video or music files over my wireless network.
> >>

> >> --
> >> darthstygeon
> >>

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP

Barb Bowman

Re: Media Sharing Stopped working after Hardware change?
glad this fixed the problem for you.

On Fri, 4 Jan 2008 12:27:02 -0800, beebopalula4
<beebopalula4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>THANKS!!! That worked a treat for me.
>
>Note: The only additional step required is to initially change the explorer
>settings so you can view hidden and system files otherwise the DRM folder and
>contents don't show up.
>
>Once I'd cleared out the DRM folder contents the media sharing (WMP11 via
>Vista Ultimate) worked immediately.
>
>"Barb Bowman" wrote:
>
>> Many of you in this thread may want to try resetting DRM. See
>> http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archi...ows-vista.aspx
>>
>> On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 15:29:04 -0800, beebopalula4
>> <beebopalula4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Exact same problem here too, - trawled the web for a few days and I'm still
>> >basically no further forward....

>> --
>>
>> Barb Bowman
>> MS Windows-MVP

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
Andrew Martin

Re: Media Sharing Stopped working after Hardware change?
I have the same or at least very similar problem to you. I hadn't considered
the possibility that it had been caused by a hardware change though...

Basically Media Sharing doesn't work on my Vista x64 box over the network,
but it does share between users on the same machine (i.e. I can switch user
accounts, load up Media Player and see the other accounts Shared Media).

Clearly there is some conflict between the network adapter and Media
Sharing, I know this can be fixed by a format, but there really should be a
way to completely reset Media Player without having to so. I've also tried
deleting the DRM folder but that has made no difference.

Have you had any luck getting your Media Sharing to work again?

Andrew