LAN connection unauthenticated

Colm

LAN connection unauthenticated
Hi everyone,

I have a strange problem with Vista Ultimate 32bit - my LAN connection is
showing as 'Unauthenticated' with a yellow warning
triangle, and network resources are intermittently unavailable.

I'm running a domain, with a Windows 2003 R2 DC. The Vista PC is on an
NVidia 680i nForce board, with one gigabit connection active, and the other
connection disable in the BIOS. Connecting to a Linksys GigE switch.
I was using a VPN to connect to another site, and noticed some local
resources becoming unavailable (OneNote went offline, Outlook came up with
an error about a pst file that was open on a network drive etc). When I
disconnected from the VPN and checked, my LAN connection was showing as
(mydomain).local 2 (Unauthenticated) -note the 2, it was a second copy of
the LAN connection.
I used the Merge and Manage connections to delete the second copy of the
connection, and when I reboot I still have
the (mydomain).local (Unauthenticated) symbol showing. I can find nothing
about this on the web, and I'm puzzled.
How can I restore this to normal, and what happened?
Please help!

Regards,
Colm

Colm

Re: LAN connection unauthenticated
Found this in my event viewer also-Simply cannot tell if it is relevant,
there is nothing online about it, and if you check it online, there is no
extra info from MS

Log Name: System
Source: Tcpip
Event ID: 4227
Level: Warning
TCP/IP failed to establish an outgoing connection because the selected local
endpoint was recently used to connect to the same remote endpoint. This
error typically occurs when outgoing connections are opened and closed at a
high rate, causing all available local ports to be used and forcing TCP/IP
to reuse a local port for an outgoing connection. To minimize the risk of
data corruption, the TCP/IP standard requires a minimum time period to
elapse between successive connections from a given local endpoint to a given
remote endpoint.

Not sure if this sheds any light!

Regards,
Colm

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: LAN connection unauthenticated
Disable and then enable NIC. Check the following post for more details. If
that doesn't fix the problem, re-install the NIC. Please post back with the
result.

Event ID 4227 TCP/IP failed to establish an outgoing connect
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...hp?p=4157#4157

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Colm" <colm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Found this in my event viewer also-Simply cannot tell if it is relevant,
> there is nothing online about it, and if you check it online, there is no
> extra info from MS
>
> Log Name: System
> Source: Tcpip
> Event ID: 4227
> Level: Warning
> TCP/IP failed to establish an outgoing connection because the selected
> local endpoint was recently used to connect to the same remote endpoint.
> This error typically occurs when outgoing connections are opened and
> closed at a high rate, causing all available local ports to be used and
> forcing TCP/IP to reuse a local port for an outgoing connection. To
> minimize the risk of data corruption, the TCP/IP standard requires a
> minimum time period to elapse between successive connections from a given
> local endpoint to a given remote endpoint.
>
> Not sure if this sheds any light!
>
> Regards,
> Colm

Colm

Re: LAN connection unauthenticated
I had already tried disabling and re-enabling the NIC many (>10) times, and
also trying diagnose and repair with no luck.
Had not yet tried reinstalling NIC as the nForce NIC drivers seem to have
some issues, and the last few times I've installed the latest nVidia drivers
I've had a non-functioning NIC, and hard-reboots on trying to uninstall or
roll-back the driver. Now using the original MS Vista driver.
I had already tried rebooting, again, something like 10 times- I had
temporarily given up on fixing this as I had some
work to do, and a little while ago, an unrelated reboot cured this! This is
very disturbing as, other than using a VPN connection, which I do
regularly, there were no configuration changes made to the machine, and it
both broke and fixed itself with no explanation.
I'm concerned that this may happen again. Thoughts?