Sharing Printer Across XP Pro and Vista Home Premium

Kent

Sharing Printer Across XP Pro and Vista Home Premium
Hello,

I am trying to share my HP Deskjet that is current in my home network.

The HP Deskjet is hard-wired to the DESKTOP running XP.

I would like to get my LAPTOP (VISTA) to be able to access the printer.

On the Desktop, I have enabled sharing and it is discoverable. Furthermore,
when I look for the printer on my LAPTOP, I am able to see it. However, when
I select the printer and hit next (in the setup process), I get an error
"Windows cannot connect to the printer. Operation could not be completed
(error 0x0000007b)

On the Vista machine, I have installed the Vista drivers from HP.

Any ideas what I can do?

Thanks!
Mick Murphy

RE: Sharing Printer Across XP Pro and Vista Home Premium

How to give Permissions are there, too.

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

from an XP computer.

"Kent" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to share my HP Deskjet that is current in my home network.
>
> The HP Deskjet is hard-wired to the DESKTOP running XP.
>
> I would like to get my LAPTOP (VISTA) to be able to access the printer.
>
> On the Desktop, I have enabled sharing and it is discoverable. Furthermore,
> when I look for the printer on my LAPTOP, I am able to see it. However, when
> I select the printer and hit next (in the setup process), I get an error
> "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Operation could not be completed
> (error 0x0000007b)
>
> On the Vista machine, I have installed the Vista drivers from HP.
>
> Any ideas what I can do?
>
> Thanks!

Kent

RE: Sharing Printer Across XP Pro and Vista Home Premium
Alright, I went through the process again, and it worked. One of the issue
is when you create the local port its... \\computername\printername

I was going around the web and see people mention \\networkname\printername.

That is not the case. Use the former and you won't go wrong.

Thanks for the help!
Clevo

Kent;549298 Wrote:
> Alright, I went through the process again, and it worked. One of the
> issue
> is when you create the local port its... \\computername\printername
>

> I was going around the web and see people mention
> \\networkname\printername.
>
> That is not the case. Use the former and you won't go wrong.
>
> Thanks for the help!

Can you expand on what you mean about this as I am having similar
problems by my printer is on the Vista machine and when I try to print
from the laptop (XP) it asks me to supply a path for the driver (an
*.inf)

--
Clevo