How to make Vista quiet down?

Phisherman

How to make Vista quiet down?
This unsolved problem is very agitating and Vista is the cause. Vista
continuously accesses the Internet. I have already disabled NCSI.
What else needs changing? The only time I want Vista to go online is
when I'm using email, using Usenet, or surfing. Currently, I have to
disconnect the Ethernet cable or disable the Ethernet to keep Vista
from making constant Internet requests through its Ethernet
connection.

Here's my LAN setup:

Computer A: Windows XP 2nd Ed
Computer B: Windows 2000 SP4, controls an external modem w/ firewall
Computer C: Vista

All three computers are connected to an Ethernet hub. All three
computers show all three in the network. Only Computer B has an
external dial-up modem running WinProxy and firewall. WinProxy is set
to hangup after 7 minutes of no Internet inactivity. This works great
(and as it should) if C's Ethernet is disabled. I already tried
making the Ethernet go to sleep when the PC sleeps, but that did not
work. From the WinProxy activity window it looks like Vista is using
"Transparent Proxy" from time to time and this bypasses the proxy's
activity log. For good virus control, A uses Avast!, B uses AVG, and
C uses Antivir which means most items are scanned twice by a different
application utility.

How can Vista be configured to make it quiet down from accessing the
Internet? Disabling Vista's Ethernet connection is the best solution
so far, but is there an easier way? I thought about blocking all
Microsoft's servers, but I do want (occasional, monthly) updates.
Today, I spoke with a friend that has a new Vista machine with dialup
and he says his machine does disconnect from the Internet after some
period of inactivity. Unfortunately, broadband services are not
available here so I will have to continue to live with a slow dialup
connection. Please help with any suggestions.
dmex

Re: How to make Vista quiet down?

Disable both Local Link Topology services from the LAN connection it
should make vista more quiet, I used to use vista with dialup and have
yet to see any real difference in internet activity, have you done any
virus scans or checked the addresss vista is connecting?

--
dmex
Phisherman

Re: How to make Vista quiet down?
On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 23:02:46 -0600, dmex
<dmex.31toz2@no-mx.forums.net> wrote:

>Disable both Local Link Topology services from the LAN connection it
>should make vista more quiet, I used to use vista with dialup and have
>yet to see any real difference in internet activity, have you done any
>virus scans or checked the addresss vista is connecting?

Thanks. I disabled the LLT without any change. I did a complete
virus scan and double-checked the firewall log. It is still staying
connected and I'm now considering returning the PC before my 30-day is
up.