Public folder sharing

sardon

Public folder sharing
From today I can't share the public folder in windows vista.
I receive a message " server RPC not available ".
RPC is active in services.
Anyone know why?

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Public folder sharing
That could be firewall issue. If turn off the firewall and other security
software, can you do it?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"sardon" <sardon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> From today I can't share the public folder in windows vista.
> I receive a message " server RPC not available ".
> RPC is active in services.
> Anyone know why?

sardon

Re: Public folder sharing

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> That could be firewall issue. If turn off the firewall and other security
> software, can you do it?
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "sardon" <sardon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > From today I can't share the public folder in windows vista.
> > I receive a message " server RPC not available ".
> > RPC is active in services.
> > Anyone know why?

Firewall and other security turned off or turned on is the same.
I found that RPC,like others services needs, DCOM Server Process to function
properly but I don't know what to do and how to see if it DCOM
is properly installed.

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Public folder sharing
Correct. The RPC depends on DCOM Server Process. Is the DCOM Server Process
running?

--

> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> That could be firewall issue. If turn off the firewall and other security
>> software, can you do it?
>>
>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>>

>> "sardon" <sardon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > From today I can't share the public folder in windows vista.
>> > I receive a message " server RPC not available ".
>> > RPC is active in services.
>> > Anyone know why?
>> >

> Firewall and other security turned off or turned on is the same.
> I found that RPC,like others services needs, DCOM Server Process to
> function
> properly but I don't know what to do and how to see if it DCOM
> is properly installed.

sardon

Re: Public folder sharing

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Correct. The RPC depends on DCOM Server Process. Is the DCOM Server Process
> running?
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "sardon" <sardon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >

> > "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> That could be firewall issue. If turn off the firewall and other security
> >> software, can you do it?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> >> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> >> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> >>

> >> "sardon" <sardon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> >

> > Firewall and other security turned off or turned on is the same.
> > I found that RPC,like others services needs, DCOM Server Process to
> > function
> > properly but I don't know what to do and how to see if it DCOM
> > is properly installed.
> >

> I don't know how to check if the DCOM Server Process is running.

I can't find DCOM process in Services.Anyway there are many keys regarding
RPC and DCOM process in register lines but I can't know if some key is
damaged.
On others PC I have WinXP and the keys are different and not comparable.

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Public folder sharing
You may want to try this command: C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k
DcomLaunch.

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> You may want to try this command: C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k
> DcomLaunch.
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "sardon" <sardon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >

> > "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> Correct. The RPC depends on DCOM Server Process. Is the DCOM Server
> >> Process
> >> running?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> >> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> >> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> >>

> >> "sardon" <sardon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> I don't know how to check if the DCOM Server Process is running.

> > I can't find DCOM process in Services.Anyway there are many keys
> > regarding
> > RPC and DCOM process in register lines but I can't know if some key is
> > damaged.
> > On others PC I have WinXP and the keys are different and not comparable.
> >

> I don't know why but the command svchost.exe is not executed.

Anyway tasklist /svc shows many svchost.exe services.
Many thanks by Walter from Trieste.