Vista Network Installation

Alain

Vista Network Installation
We have a network with one server Windows 2003 and a few PC workstations
Windows XP. We have added 2 new PC’s running Vista.
One of them is working perfectly displaying the server and all other PC on
the network map.
The other one, where the same setup parameters have been used, shows only
the other Vista PC on the network map and the server’s files can not be
accessed.
Physical connection to the server is OK – ping is OK from both Vista-PC’s.
Disabling IPv6 on the problem-PC has not made any difference.

What to do ?
Many thanks for help!
Alain (Zurich, Switzerland -- so no perfect English :-)
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista Network Installation
What do you receive if you using net view \\servername on the Vista?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Alain" <Alain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have a network with one server Windows 2003 and a few PC workstations
> Windows XP. We have added 2 new PC’s running Vista.
> One of them is working perfectly displaying the server and all other PC on
> the network map.
> The other one, where the same setup parameters have been used, shows only
> the other Vista PC on the network map and the server’s files can not be
> accessed.
> Physical connection to the server is OK – ping is OK from both Vista-PC’s.
> Disabling IPv6 on the problem-PC has not made any difference.
>
> What to do ?
> Many thanks for help!
> Alain (Zurich, Switzerland -- so no perfect English :-)

Alex (Africa)

RE: Vista Network Installation
I have a similar problem. I have connect a brand new Visat Laptop to a peer
to peer network with XP PCs and a Linux mail/internet server. I can access
the internet and mail and ping any other IP address on the network. However,
my laptop does not show any other PC on the network. I have tried making the
network private and disabling IPv6, but still have the same problems. When I
first used the PC I did not have this problem it only started after I set up
a dial up connection for another user profile.

Please help this laptop and Visat are useless if I cannot access the network.

"Alain" wrote:

> We have a network with one server Windows 2003 and a few PC workstations
> Windows XP. We have added 2 new PC’s running Vista.
> One of them is working perfectly displaying the server and all other PC on
> the network map.
> The other one, where the same setup parameters have been used, shows only
> the other Vista PC on the network map and the server’s files can not be
> accessed.
> Physical connection to the server is OK – ping is OK from both Vista-PC’s.
> Disabling IPv6 on the problem-PC has not made any difference.
>
> What to do ?
> Many thanks for help!
> Alain (Zurich, Switzerland -- so no perfect English :-)

Alain

Re: Vista Network Installation
The result is (translated from German) 'file not found'.

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> What do you receive if you using net view \\servername on the Vista?
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "Alain" <Alain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > We have a network with one server Windows 2003 and a few PC workstations
> > Windows XP. We have added 2 new PC’s running Vista.
> > One of them is working perfectly displaying the server and all other PC on
> > the network map.
> > The other one, where the same setup parameters have been used, shows only
> > the other Vista PC on the network map and the server’s files can not be
> > accessed.
> > Physical connection to the server is OK – ping is OK from both Vista-PC’s.
> > Disabling IPv6 on the problem-PC has not made any difference.
> >
> > What to do ?
> > Many thanks for help!
> > Alain (Zurich, Switzerland -- so no perfect English :-)

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista Network Installation
If it is system error 5, this is permission issue; if it is system error 53,
this is name resolution or firewall issue. This search result may help,

System ErrorsSystem Error code: 5, 53 and 66 System error 8 - Not enough
storage is available to process this command System error 21 has occurred -
The device is not ...
www.chicagotech.net/systemerrors.htm

--

> The result is (translated from German) 'file not found'.
>
> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> What do you receive if you using net view \\servername on the Vista?
>>
>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>>

>> "Alain" <Alain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > We have a network with one server Windows 2003 and a few PC
>> > workstations
>> > Windows XP. We have added 2 new PC’s running Vista.
>> > One of them is working perfectly displaying the server and all other PC
>> > on
>> > the network map.
>> > The other one, where the same setup parameters have been used, shows
>> > only
>> > the other Vista PC on the network map and the server’s files can not be
>> > accessed.
>> > Physical connection to the server is OK – ping is OK from both Vista-PC’s.
>> > Disabling IPv6 on the problem-PC has not made any difference.
>> >
>> > What to do ?
>> > Many thanks for help!
>> > Alain (Zurich, Switzerland -- so no perfect English :-)

Alain

Re: Vista Network Installation
Thanks for your help ! Where do I get the error code ? (When I use the
explorer and try to approach the server I just get the 'file not found'
-error)
Alain

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> If it is system error 5, this is permission issue; if it is system error 53,
> this is name resolution or firewall issue. This search result may help,
>
> System ErrorsSystem Error code: 5, 53 and 66 System error 8 - Not enough
> storage is available to process this command System error 21 has occurred -
> The device is not ...
> www.chicagotech.net/systemerrors.htm
>

> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "Alain" <Alain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > The result is (translated from German) 'file not found'.
> >
> > "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> What do you receive if you using net view \\servername on the Vista?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> >> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> >> http://www.HowToNetworking.com

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista Network Installation
As mentioned before "using net view \\servername on the Vista".

--

newsF655DB0-AEE2-4274-9839-450DA57037EE@microsoft.com...
> Thanks for your help ! Where do I get the error code ? (When I use the
> explorer and try to approach the server I just get the 'file not found'
> -error)
> Alain
>
> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> If it is system error 5, this is permission issue; if it is system error
>> 53,
>> this is name resolution or firewall issue. This search result may help,
>>
>> System ErrorsSystem Error code: 5, 53 and 66 System error 8 - Not enough
>> storage is available to process this command System error 21 has
>> occurred -
>> The device is not ...
>> www.chicagotech.net/systemerrors.htm
>>

>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>>

>> "Alain" <Alain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > The result is (translated from German) 'file not found'.

Alain

Re: Vista Network Installation
net view \\servername returns error 53